Favorite kata

Discussion in 'Karate' started by SaiMaster, May 3, 2002.

1. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Uechi's Sanchin kata.

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I've got a couple Kata's on my list to learn in the future. On is Sanchin. I've seen a couple flavors of it that I really like.

The other is USA Goju's Golden Crane Kata (I don't know the Japaneses name of it). It's beautiful. You can easily extrapilate the Chinese influence on it. But it still has a Japanese flair to it. Plus it's got a ton of Dim Mak/Internal Martial Art activity going on in it. Plus it's animal influenced. What's not to love about that?

- Matt

3. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

This USA GOJU kata you speak of is probably Genkaku te. The translation that I have learned for this has been "Crane on a Rock", but I think it must be the same kata. We also perform Genkaku Sai, which is virtualy the same kata but with sai instead of empty hand.
    Genkaku Te and Sai are wonderful kata to work balance, grace and flow.

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Interesting... I'll have to ask my Gujo Guru to show me that Sai variation the next time I see him. The Genkaku te Kata, if were talking about the same one is just beautiful. It flows like "Like Butta." Plus it contains about a bazillion and one lessons worth of material.

- Matt

5. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

My favorite kata is Jion. It's very good with my style off karate hard and strong.

For watching Unsu rocks big time.

The ones I want to master tekki katas. They are much harder then they appear try rotating your hips and applying power but still have a good stance. Very difficult.

Regards Kerling.
    ps. seen some very cool goju katas witch I cant name.

6. Coyote

Coyote New Member

I quite like watching Matsukaze (some styles call it ****an)-- at least in our style. I pretty much hate performing it, though, because I hate holding that one-legged crane stance (the picture in my avatar is from performing Matsukaze for my Shodan test).

To do, I like Jitte for its pure, unbridled power, and Sanchin Sho (as we call it) for its precision.

7. xubis

xubis New Member

Heian yondan or godan

8. BigBadBob

BigBadBob New Member

For doing I like the Pinan katas, particularly Yondan. I find that you can keep on learning from them through your whole Karate career.

For watching, I like Bo kata

9. kerling

Xubis:

Heian yondan is a very difficult kata with slow mothments.

I have seen sensei Ochi perform it and it was cool. His kochudazi double block is realy hard and effective. Believe me I have felt the block.

I think godan gets to much credit because it's easeer to feel like did a good performance from it. But I seldomly see a good heyan godan.

Regards Kerling

10. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Heian Godan and Naihanchi are really good. Do San is my favourite pattern from TKD as it's so, so nasty with regard to applications.

11. Kenshi

Kenshi New Member

you got it all wrong. my favourite kata is bassi dai

12. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

Passai dai is my least favorite kata. Chinto and kushanku katas are the bomb.

13. Dirk Dagger

Dirk Dagger I Love Kelly Hu

Definitely Kanku Dai! It means "looking up the sky" and of course, every shotokan karateka needs to "strengthen his fortress" so Basai Dai is also my fave. Osu!

14. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Zanshin! or Zanchin....whatever it is!

15. qbushido

qbushido Subaru whore/NYC kid

I've become a big fan of saifa as of late, seems like a good kata for people to learn some outside of the normal body mechanics.

16. Paul Herbert

Paul Herbert New Member

Gankaku (Crane standing on a rock)
    This kata has everything in it's application - a real fighting feel to it's movements

17. kerling

Kgirl

Do you train Sanchin much?

You are but fith kyu?

Not that I'm saying that you shouldn't but I think it a rather difficult kata. And the movements are not your common kata movements.

Regards Kerling

18. Dinesh

Dinesh New Member

Mines are Seisan and Chinto

19. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I train Sanchin a lot. It is a 5th Kyu Kata, on the 5th Kyu syllabus and I've been learning it since I was a 8th Kyu. Our sensei teaches us kata early so we have plenty of time to get good at them. I'm starting to learn a kata for 2nd Kyu at the moment. Grade/Belt level is irrelevant to your skill level, IMO. If you can do it, you can do it.

One thing to bear in mind is that kata's in different styles are often mixed up at different grades. For example, some of our Shodan Kyokushin kata's are lifted from Goju Ryu, but in Goju, they are low grade Kata's. Sanchin varies from style to style too.

I wouldn't call Sanchin difficult, not by a long way. The movements may not seem like regular kata movements, but they are... blocks and punches. I had a very hard time learning it at first, but once I took some time on my own to break down the movements and learn it, I can do it easily enough. I don't fully understand Sanchin yet, that will take a while, but the actual physical movements I can do.

20. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

mine is penan godan it's soooooooooo coooooooooooooooollllll