Favorite Hung Gar Set(s)

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Juego Todo, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

If this thread has been done before, sorry, and please advise me of the link to the past thread. Otherwise...

What is your favorite Hung Gar set? Which parts or sequences do you like practicing?

I still like the oldie, but the goodie, Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen (different English spelling variations).

My favorite part is when you first get into say ping ma, starting off with the dynamic tension extensions, then leading into the tiger claw sequences. It sounds strange & silly, but it actually makes you feel somewhat ferocious when performing the tiger moves. Those of you who've done this sequence intensely can probably kind of figure out what I mean. I guess it may have to do with the flexed arms and tiger claw hand formations, along with the strong breathing and fast movements.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  2. MartialArtN00b

MartialArtN00b New Member

I think the breathing exercices are what interest me the most in the pillar forms.

3. Capt Keonig

Capt Keonig New Member

Having you been breathing since the day you were born? Wouldn't that be more natural?

LOL... sorry, just reflecting from your horse/natural/boxing bollocks.

4. MartialArtN00b

MartialArtN00b New Member

sigh...

I dont spend a freaking hour on the breathing exercice as you do with your horse stance at least... Not to mention its a simple calming exercice.

Besides, if you cant grasp the idea of a natural horse stance, then youll end up looking like a buffoon in that kungfu video redshirt streetfight. (do a search, if you dont know what it is)

Also, keep in the mind that doing 55 min of horse stance is just an endurance test. Endurance can be built gradually instead of forcing the act so spontaneously. Its quite obvious why youre feeling burnt over your workout. Youre also not becoming a better fighter (or becoming better a hung gar) by just doing the act of horse stance.

When you see skinny middle aged woman doing the horse stance for long period of time, then you start to realize that long period horse stance hardly makes you a better fighter, more of a marathon runner.

5. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

gung gee fook fu has pretty much all you need.

6. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Fu-Pow. . . . .oh wait, it's Hung Kuen. . . . . :eek:

:D

7. Juego Todo

HG...CLF...it's all good :)

CLF Fu-Pow must be a nice set to watch being performed. I've never seen it done. I'm partial to tiger-systems, so I'd be anxious to learn that if I trained in CLF because of the tiger-leopard mix.

HG's Ng Ying Kuen & Sap Ying Kuen have the 5 animals in them, so sequences of both fu & pow are seen.

8. Juego Todo

True. A lot of strong, close range grappling & striking.

9. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I think it is only avalaible in our lineage. If you like you might be able to get a DVD with it (and some other forms), at www.makskungfu.com

It's all my Sifu on there and it's a pretty good deal, you get a bunch of forms in 1 DVD.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Anyone got any vids of these forms?

11. Juego Todo

Yeah, it's almost as if you'd done a mix of ab-work, weightlifting and some aerobics afterwards. Quite invigorating :)

12. Juego Todo

And your Sifu trained under your late, great Sigung Lee Koon Hung? Wow...even though I've never done CLF, I and many CMA practitioners know of him. I'd seen him in videos imported from Hong Kong by my HG Sidai & Sihing years ago. Forget about his eye thingo...I remember that his form and technique looked flawless! You're very fortunate to have access to your kwoon & to be training in that lineage via Sifu Mak.

Thanks for the link. The new site looks better, although a couple of links didn't appear to be working at the time.

M Goi