Favorite hapkido moves?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Marku, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

Whats your favorite Hapkido techniques??

2. ZaCO

ZaCO New Member

All of them of course! :)
    Various spin kicks are great.

3. ZaCO

ZaCO New Member

I don't actually like the double front kick cause I broke my wrist yesterday when I landed on it after falling from the kick. :(

4. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

Ouch, What belt are you at Hapkido?

5. ZaCO

ZaCO New Member

I have graduated my yellow belt. But I guess I know (information and such.. can't do all the techinuques of course) more about hapkido than most of the brown or black belts. I suppose it makes me more like 'a paper hapkidoist' :) . Where I train the belt color doesn't really matter. I had my white belt 5 months :) . And I have done many 2. dan techniques already so I think I can do a lot more than most yellow belts. Actually just before my wrist was broken I was showing some relly good kicking to some upper belts and they were quite impressed. Hope I get back to dojang soon. :)

6. ZaCO

ZaCO New Member

BTW I would have gotten my green belt next month. But since my wrist is broken I suppose I wait a bit longer.

7. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

I like the grabbing defence techniques in general.

Unlike my ninjutsu, they allow me to simply control the person without hurting him, and restrain him with the appropriate amount of force. Some of them are really cool looking, and they're amazingly simplistic and effective.

8. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

ive finished reading my hapkido book and i am amazed at how many things are possible, being able to use 1 hand or no hands at all is possible for defense!.

Hapkido must be one of the top styles out there for defense's as its aim is suppose to stay modern with the needed defenses against stuff like knives and guns.

I think its amazing to be able to throw two people at the same time just by doing something with there wrists/arms. Thats something to look forward to learning :)

9. ZaCO

ZaCO New Member

I agree. Hapkido is a very defensive MA and the teaching in our dojang is mainly like "if your opponent does this, you do this" so it's all reacting different situations. One of my favourite exercises is where training partner just grabs you or does what ever he pleases to do with you and you have to react to it fast. We do it from many different situations like when the oppenent strikes from the back etc.

10. Jazman

Jazman New Member

I'm going to have to agree with sweeet that the defense against various grabs are the coolest. Especially the throws where they go over your head. I'm kinda in the same boat as you ZaCO, I'm only a yellow belt but I'm learning things from various belt levels. At least that gives me the possibility to practice with them if I feel the need :D

11. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

I'm only a green-belt, so don't take my word as doctrine :p

12. jejanim

jejanim New Member

i'm about to get my yellow belt but i am a progressive grappler. i've already submitted a lot of the orange and purple belts. but my sparring needs a bit of work. every single technique i've learned has amazed me. i love the art. i truly believe that it accompanies Aikido, Kung Fu and Kickboxing as the best martial arts.

jeja

13. Jazman

Jazman New Member

I have to agree with you Sweeet, I don't know yet if I trust chicks who practice ninjitsu... kinda scary... :D

14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Lots of favorites

I love the nak beop (breakfalls) a lot. I hated them at first because they hurt! In the long run, they have been very practical, ranging from helping me when I get thrown/swept and for those times when I've fallen at work or on ice... practical and useful.

I also like a lot of the advanced kicks... the combinations and double-foot kicks.

15. Kombat

Kombat Valued Member

I like the chokes and pressure points. I haven't learned any of them yet but our master has a "what if" day every so often where we can ask questions like "what if I grabbed you from behind" or "what if I took you down and mounted you to do a ground and pound". He then demonstrates counters...painfully at times!!

I'm always fascinated by chokes so I kinda end up with a sore throat by the end. :cool:

You'd think I'd learn. ;)

Kombat

16. Jazman

Jazman New Member

chokes are pretty awesome(regrettably my friends favorite in which I am the victim.) I usually go more for pressure points and if anyone actually feels like flipping then I get to have some fun! I think learning basic pressure strikes would be usefull in a fight, especially if you are not able to work on any chokes.

17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I don't like the Jumping techniques I feel that they are a waste of energy, but they are fun (Except when u break yr wrist-Commiserations ZaCo).

I like the more Pragmatic aspects of the art. Particularly some of the Locks and Throws and the subtle differences between Hapkido and Ju Jitsu. Some of the grab releases are good too.
    The Defence/ Counterstrikes/ Locks/ Pins combinations are Fab and I love doing them.

I like most of the kicks, but frankly I find the Inside Out Roundhouse Kick (like a Crescent kick but with no circular continuation) to be Bizarre and used to grumble alot to myself when we had to do it.

An article about Hapkido is here:
    http://www.martialartsadvice.com/art.php?cat=5&art=89

Warning: Contains Opinion!!!!

18. hapkido4me

hapkido4me New Member

well after readin all the post`s isn`t it about learning about the mental part as well???? my master teaches us allot mentally some classes are a housr of talkin to us what life is about what it is to be a ture martial artist....now i am a 1stdan in soong moo kwan hapkido never spared but he puts his h apkido students up against tkd students and we always win...so but i still like the peacfullness of hapkido and what it teaches me and it`s nice to have over a thousand techniques to kill a man...

19. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Yes,
    I feel that the Mental aspect of any Martial art is useful. I like the stress on it in Hapkido and I feel that there is a 'Goodness' at the heart of Hapkido, a certain respect for humanity, which is admirable, but it's only one aspect of it and not the reason that I am training in any Martial Art at this stage in my life, just a by-product and an added bonus.

I like alot of the Dun-Ji-Gi throwing techniques, particularly what I call the Sacrifice Bicycle throw (Because I can never remember what it is in korean). The one where yr one leg goes against his Midsection, knee facing out and you hang on him and bring yr other leg up and hook his head, whilst going to yr back, taking him over the top and into a lying arm bar. I enjoy doing that one.

Some of the Throwing Defences are very smart also...

20. John_IHF

John_IHF New Member

I'd Have to say my favorite Technique would have to be outside circle # 8. If you do not know what it is I'll explain.

Its an Open stance technique. If your oppenet is doing a punch he step toward him blocking with the outter arm then cup it(leg thats infront use that arm) as you sping next to him you wrap your other arm around the back of his neck and infront toward his face aiming downward then you spin again once and step back. While steping backward up lead the oppenet (with the arm thats around his neck and face) into your arm that was cupping his arm, making that arm go on his chest,chin, or neck you push up then rest your arm downward pushing down. (Its the one that looks like a close line.)