Favorite Forms!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TigerAnsTKDLove, Dec 7, 2003.

1. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

at your dojahngs/dojos what forms do you tkd artists study? at my dojahng we study Taegeuk ! which is alot of fun!!!! :) my form for yellow belt before was a pain it was called a basic 2 it had forward stance through the whole thing it hurt my legs after a while and then for white belt it was a basic 1 with walking stance through the whole thing. but now i am a orange belt and i am currently doing Taegeuk 1 but when i become green belt i'll be doing taegeuk 2!!!! yay! i can't wait!!!!:D :D

2. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

never heard of basic 2. Taeguek two can take awhile to learn the movement, but i think you'll be able to remember it. When i was skipped to blue belt, i was learning both taeguek 3 and 4. took me awhile but i got it. My favorite form is Taeguek Chil-jang or 7.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i don't know what basic 2 is. maybe we have another name for it. at the club where i trained TKD Taeguk forms are done. we also do them at my club.
    u mentioned ur orange belt. orange is not one of the colors we use. (there is a thread in this TKD section about belt colors - belt system by ratman - so u can check it out, if u r interested. no need to open a new one :) ).
    Taeguk 1 is done for lower yellow belt, and with every other belt one more Taeguk is done.
    i love doing the forms. i prefer sparring, but doing the forms is interesting as well. some people think that forms are just moving around while doing some techniques. it's definitely not that. when i do the forms with my students, there is no rush, and i want every technique of theirs to be clean, from the very beginning, when they prepare their body to execute it, till the very end including of course co-ordination, balance...
    but if i have to choose some forms, i would say that with the 4th and upwards they get more and more interesting.

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Favorite forms...

My favorite WTF form would have to be "Koryo"... to me this one always represented being a 'black belt' because as a color belt, new black belts always learned Koryo after being promoted. Plus, it's a beautiful form.

My favorite ITF form would be "Kwan Gae"... lot of difficult little parts in it that require attention. When it all works, it's a really great form.

Of the Taegeuk forms, I would have to say that I like Taegeuk 7 best (with 5 and 8 being runners-up!)

5. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

I like Taegeuk 6,7 and 8...
    As far as Black Belt forms...I like Koryo, Keumgang and Taebek...
    I have finally created the first phase of a set of forms I am creating myself...it's fun...just because it's new and I have no one to blame but myself when I forget a movement! ha ha

I think Basic 1 and 2 refers to Kicho (basic) forms...

www.academictaekwondo.com has the animated forms...

6. JohnG

JohnG SNAFU

I agree with Thomas, Koryo is best, cos it's the "I've made it to black belt" form!

7. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

I also love Koryo and Taebaek. Having said that, Pyongwon's an interesting one, and Shipjin looks awesome, in fact all the black belt forms are good to watch. My least fave is Keumgang - I have real trouble with the balancing on one leg. Can always do it fine when I'm practicing at home, but as soon as I try the form in class in front of an instructor I wobble around really bad... Any tips to stop those keumgang makki wobbles??

8. Ara

Ara New Member

Only a red belt in ITF, favourite pattern being toi gae. ALot of variation i think and a nice pattern for those 'W' shaped blocks :D

Hwarang is good also, getting the stances right and keeping it flowing is one thing i have to work on

9. JohnG

JohnG SNAFU

In Keumgang, try placing your foot on the inside of your knee if you are feeling a bit shaky. You're supposed to leave a tiny gap, but it should be OK until you perfect your balance.

Also, keep the knee of the leg you're standing on slightly bent. This will be better for balance than keeping your leg straight, and do the movement slowly (a 5 count). Doing it to fast can thow you off a bit.

10. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

For balance...and I know this will sound strange...
    Get a big coffee can and just practice standing on it...then after you get better at your balance...start doing your crane stance with the high/low block...I guarantee you, that in a few short weeks...you'll be nailing Keumgang with great accuracy...:)

It is a weird form of sorts...when I was told that was the form for second dan...I thought to myself..."It looks easier than Taegeuk 7!" ha ha...

11. captainmoomoo

captainmoomoo Valued Member

Hi all,

My favourite WTF form would probably be Koryo or Taebek. But my all time favourites would have to be the ITF patterns, either Juche or Moon-Moo. Never seen anything as challenging as those before.

Also, the Shotokan kata Onsu is very beautiful and graceful.