favorite choke

Discussion in 'Judo' started by jonsku, Oct 3, 2003.

1. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

saikyou,
    Never did answer your question. But, yes Gi-less chokes would be the main thrust of the book. Bare chokes, finger chokes, bone breaking chokes, and chokes using various weapons.
    The thesis of the book (Classical Chokes) is that having the ability to administer chokes is an essential component of your fighting arsenal. In fact a great many of our self defense routines end with a choke of some kind. Like a "finishing move" if I can borrow this term.

2. totality

totality New Member

whoa whoa whoa, bone breaking CHOKES?? why the hell do you really want to break someone's neck? or are you choking them WHILE you break their other arms with your legs or....telekinesis. sorry, i couldn't resist attacking your error :D. thank you for whoever posted that URL, i've never known/respected judo much until now. very good stuff.

:)

3. saikyou

saikyou New Member

It doesnt mean that you will literally break somebody's bones. It means that if you apply enough pressure, that move will break a bone.

4. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

the rear naked choke and hadaka jime. I wanna perfect my okuri eri jime as well

5. saikyou

saikyou New Member

the rear naked choke and hadaka jime? i think you just translated it into japanese. :)

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Eh, yeah. They're the same thing! :D

7. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Re: Bone Breaking Chokes
    I must apologize. I did not notice when I responded to this forum originaly that it was a Judo forum. I was thinking pure fighting and that is why I made reference to the diferent types of chokes such as bone breaking chokes. Bone breaking chokes are certainly a real option in a life or death situation but not in randori.

8. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

saikyou, the rar naked choke in BJJ looks more like a sleeper hold done by pro wrestlers

9. saikyou

saikyou New Member

ok. got it. how do you apply this? my favorite entry is when uke is on all fours. ill hook my legs on his and apply the choke. I also like to attack w/ a waki gatame on this kind of situation.

no need to apologize gojuman. :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2003
  10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

saikyou, the rear naked choke is set up just like a hadaka jime, personally, it deends on the situation and hand positioning which choke you will use between the two

11. zendoka

zendoka New Member

I have been a karateka for some time but jujitsu is relatively new to me. My shihan has put me in several fun chokes and showed me ways out of a few. My favorite so far is jigoku jime because I have not been able to find any way out of it. The only defense seems to be avoiding it entirely.

12. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Hadaka jime definitely. I also like some sleeve chokes.

13. republiksyawyan

republiksyawyan New Member

The triangle choke. If and when the opponent attains full mount and trys to ground and pound you can exchange blows and set the opponent up for the triangle choke.

14. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

I always had success with the rear naked choke but I like to further sharpen my skills in applying the triangle choke.

15. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Hadaka Jime, Tsuki Komi Jime & sode guruma jime.

16. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

triangle choke against a full mount?

17. republiksyawyan

republiksyawyan New Member

Im so sorry, I ment to say when your opponent is trying to acheive full mount and your in the gaurd. It's actually quite hard to do when the person is trying to take your head off.

18. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

sankuku jime or kata gatame front choke