favorite choke

Discussion in 'Judo' started by jonsku, Oct 3, 2003.

1. jonsku

jonsku New Member

ok people, I want to hear your favorite shime-waza technique, from where and why ?

Mine would be tsukkomi-jime (thrust choke) from guard position, it has never failed me... :) It's quite easy to perform from below, and even if your opponent tries to choke you, yours is more effective.Just remember not to keep your arm too straight, otherwise it may be caught to arm-lock.

jonsku

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Mine used to be a cross between juji-jime and tsuki-komi-jime, where I would basically use a gyaku (reverse) juji-jimi grip, but imagine one arm slipping right down to a tsuki-komi-jime pulling arm position and the other arm forming a bar across the throat. I liked it because the natural juji-jime defence doesn't work so well...

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sangaku-Jime.

From where? From just about everywhere.

I have the legs for it :D

4. Aegis

Do-jime as well then Yoda? Most people who like one like the other, and I suspect that you don't mind it being against Judo rules.... ;)

5. jonsku

jonsku New Member

Yoda : I thought you were a Jigoku-jime man :D

6. Aegis

OK, that one's not familiar to me... enlighten me?

7. jonsku

jonsku New Member

8. Aegis

Thanks. Looks interesting :)

9. jonsku

jonsku New Member

Yup... and feels even better :D

10. saikyou

saikyou New Member

hadaka jime while the opponent is lying facedown.:) another faves are the juji jime and kataha jime. Im not into chokes. im more of a hold-down/armbar guy. :)

11. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

My fav when grappling is Kata Juji, from the rear & standing is Kataha w/ rear takedown & Hadaka Jime San ( reinforced sleeper choke), as a follow up to a forward throw is Tatsumaki Jime which I don't think has a Judo equiv.

How do you practice Jigoku? For our system it is Ko Garuma Jime & practice it in defense to an attacker shooting in to grab your legs w/ both arms.

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Ryote Jime, Kata ha Jime and Hadaka Jime. Ryote's good because not alot of people are prepared for it. You need a Jacket for it to work though Dave! ;)

Col

13. jonsku

jonsku New Member

Isn't it possible to do ryote-jime without jacket, just by applying the pressure to the arteries with your knuckles?

jonsku

14. Aegis

Probably, but I imagine it would then be quite weak unless you managed to tie up their arms some other way first.

15. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

If you want reallistc choking technique check out the book by my master, Joseph Kelljchian entittled "Classical Chokes".

16. Aegis

What makes you think the ones we're discussing aren't realistic? Let me tell you, when they're applied, they certainly feel realistic enough!

17. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I did not mean to imply that the previously mention techniques were no good. In fact I think they are all great. My master's book just adds further to the discipline from a "street perspective"

18. Aegis

Ahh, so it's a case of application rather than new technique? Sorry if I came across as snappy.

19. saikyou

saikyou New Member

street perspective... so it focuses on "gi-less" grappling?

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

You can do Ryote Jime without a Gi, but the Gi gives you more purchase making it slightly more effective.

Col