Favorite Aspect of Hapkido

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by marinevet63031, Oct 24, 2013.

1. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

Hi Everyone,
    What is your favorite part of or aspect of hapkido? I would have to say for me it is the adaptability of the techniques. Here is what I mean. Before I became disabled I learned different styles of hapkido. Now that I am disabled to continue hapkido I had to modify everything.
    This is why I designed and began teaching Adaptive Hapkido. I only teach to the disabled. I have been able to take the lions share of my techniques from MooSoolKwan through Kuk Sul Won and adapted them.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I like how the system lends itself to the various 'levels of force' - it's remarkable how easy it is to escalate and de-escalate within legal limits based on the situation and scenario.

That, and cool people do Hapkido! :cool:

3. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Thats brilliant mate you are to be applauded for continuing and teaching your art with disability. I don't do Hapkido but would love to cross train it however there isn't anywhere near that teaches this art.

Personal question and don't answer if you dont want to but how did you get disabled? i was wondering if it was anything to do with the art you teach.

Baza

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

the diversity of unarmed techniques--both strikes and grappling techniques.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. Little Robin

Little Robin Valued Member

I would agree with Giovanni - the multiplicity of techniques and approaches is what does it for me. Hard and soft techniques, emphasis on hand an feet, striking and joint manipulation, standing and groundwork, empty hands and weapons, etc, etc. Lots of material in the curriculum for sure but the bottom like is I'm always a student - learning something new.

6. Thomas

Oh... and did I mention how much I love the 'cane'?

7. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

Just a quick note since it was asked. I got really banged up while serving in the Marine Corps. Combat injuries is where my disabilities originated. I have back and knee problems, I also deal with traumatic brain injury and post traumatic stress disorder.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

it's a great art. i love the circular nature of all the techniques also.

the ground curriculum needs work though.

9. Little Robin

Yup. I agree. And so does GM Timmerman - and that's why I have 3 modules of grappling/ground techniques to work on now.

Also I remember someone posting an old picture of Master Oh (who passed away recently) doing some good ground work. Great shot - anyone got that link???

10. Little Robin

I get to work on cane at my level now. (Been searching the antique shops to find just the right one for me.) Something that you can bring with you pretty much anywhere.

11. Thomas

If you are a fan of the heavier hardwood canes with a larger crook, check at the local 'Tractor Supply' or Agricultural Stores... stock canes work very well and quite reasonably priced.

12. Dwi Chugi

Dwi Chugi Valued Member

Matt, thank you for your service. God bless you.

For me the two things that stick out is that Hapkido is a complete art. And the second reason is, because it is so complete it can be as docile or as assertive as the defender needs it to be.

Hapkido can be used on an out of control friend or the guy that is trying to kill you. There is a technique found in the system.

13. Twisting

Twisting Valued Member

My favourite aspect of hapkido is how body awareness is developed.