Fatigue and soreness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ferret, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

I'm training twice a week in TKD, 2 hour sessions each. I eat a little pasta/rice/banana an hour or so before my class so it gives me energy. I make sure I drink plenty of water throughout the day, and always have it on hand in class, and lucozade sport too. And after class I drink plenty more water, and try eat a small amount of chicken or fish (not too much as my class finished quite late and I dont want to go to bed on a full stomach).

The following morning and throughout the day I feel like utter crap. I'm tired, achy, and everything is an effort. I don't mind the aches so much, but the tiredness is really getting to me. Its feels like a hangover!

Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing/eating/drinking to alleviate the tiredness?

2. liero

liero Valued Member

do you stretch after your workout?

that will probobly help your sore muscles. The fatigue sounds like a lack of sleep to me. Are you resting properly after your training sessions.

Also, how long have you been training? and if its not been a long time did you lead a fairly active lifestyle beforehand?

3. Iam

Iam Valued Member

A 2 hour session sounds like a long one to me ... I ache after an hour myslef :D

So, tiredness the day after sounds pretty normal (if you're still knackered two days later, that's a bad sign though) ... especially if you weren't too active/particularly fit before starting TKD, as Liero was wondering.

Iam.

4. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

Well, I have to be honest, I started back training about 2-3 months ago, and wasnt at all fit before that (and still am not), so is probably a shock to the system! As for stretching, our class finished late so we get booted out of our hall so I cant stretch right after.... takes an hiour for me to get home, and by that time I've ceased up and just want to collapse into bed!

2 hours is pretty normal for a taekwondo class (in my experience anyway). I'm cool with the actual class, its just the fatigue I get the day after which is annoying, especially at work where I have to be alert.

My boyfriend says that after a training session, I do twitch a lot in bed... I think I may have kicked him in my sleep a few times, poor sod. I do wake up feeling lilke Ive had a heavy night. I try to drink lots of water after training, but still feel dehydrated when I wake up, and lethargic for the remainder of the day. The day after that isnt too bad though.

5. liero

liero Valued Member

2 hours is not a super long time, but its a bit longer than my current training sessions.

So, I would just ask your instructor if they could incorporate a quick cooldown stretch into the sessions if you cant do it straight after. Or at least ask if you can do a stretch for 5-10 minutes it can make all the difference.

as you have gone from a low-to-high activity level your body will have to get used to it, dont worry it will happen though. I remember a study that said the best way to get rid of doms (delayed onset muscle tiredness) which is the term for the soreness the day after a workout, is to do any mild exercise.

As for the dehydration, weigh yourself before your session, and when you get home weigh yourself again, whatever the difference is, is how much water you should drink to get your fluids back up.

6. madknight

madknight Valued Member

Yeah stretching can help, try to get it in if you can.

Some people have also said contrast showers help with soreness. Basically you get in the shower under some hot water for a minute or so, then change to cold water for little, and repeat for a bit. Beware though, it might not be enjoyable, I know I wouldn't do it :p

Also it's also good to give your body some food to recover with. Eat or drink a mixture of carbs and protein if you can. You say it's late when your done, so only eat as much as you can. This can help your body recover.

Hope that helps. Let us know how things go after you've tried a few of the things mentioned in this thread.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Chocolate milk after training is the anwer. Don't thank me thank Yohan.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Seconded! :D

9. shodan900

shodan900 New Member

Chocolate milk? You serious? Why is that helpful?

10. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

I did eat more when I got home, with carbs too and drank as much fluid as I could take without bursting.... and I gotta say, it has helped. My muscles are still very very tight, especially hamstrings (which I am trying to stretch out each day), but the tiredness wasn't as noticable.

What kind of chocolate milk?
    Mars? Or an actual choc protein shake?
    Any to avoid?

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I just use nesquick dissolved in semi-skimmed milk with a scoop of unflavoured whey protien. I prefer that to a shop bought, premixed one as those tend to be full of dodgy additives and preservatives.

Chocolate milk is excellent because it provides both carbs, fat and protein and tastes yummy.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

We just use the stuff the sell at the garage on the way home when the gym hasn't got any. Frodo's is probably better and cheaper.