Fat Burners

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JaxMMA, May 7, 2011.

1. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

What's the general opinion on fat burners? Are they worth giving a try?

I've started following a clean diet 8 weeks ago and I have dropped 8 lbs. Went from 195 to 187 as of today and from 18% BF to 14%.

The nutritionist I'm working with gave me some free samples of one of the fat burners. Contains few things, but mainly green tea extract and caffeine.

He said to start with one pill daily and see how it goes. I'm thinking about trying it for 4 weeks and see if there's any increase in fat loss.

What do you guys think? Worth trying with a clean diet and cardio? Any "success stories" ?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  2. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

Caffeine will definitely cause you to burn off more calories JaxMMA, but there are usually side effects. Notably problems with sleeping and relaxing. If it does not affect you adversely, give it a try. Got an Irish friend who drinks about 8 cups a day, including one right before bed, and he sleeps like a log. Affects people differently.

3. JaxMMA

I'm not too sensitive to caffeine (too many energy drinks, I guess :confused:). I will give it a try, one pill a day...take it in the morning. It should wear off by the time I go to sleep.

Thanks Sensei :cool:

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Caffeine is not as bad as many believe, although it does affect sleep if taken in the afternoon.

The biological half-life of caffeine is the time required for the body to eliminate one-half of the total amount of caffeine. It varies widely among individuals according to such factors as age, liver function, level of caffeine-metabolising enzymes in the liver, pregnancy, medication and habits such as smoking.

* In healthy adults, caffeine's half-life is approximately 4.9 hours.

* In women taking oral contraceptives, this is increased to 5–10 hours.

* In pregnant women the half-life is roughly 9–11 hours.

* Caffeine can accumulate in individuals with severe liver disease, increasing its half-life up to 96 hours.

* In infants and young children, the half-life may be longer than in adults; the half-life in a newborn baby may be as long as 30 hours.

* Other factors such as smoking can shorten caffeine's half-life.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96955&highlight=caffeine

5. JaxMMA

Great write-up.

Thanks for the link

6. righty

righty Valued Member

So it seems like you may as well just get some no-doz and wash it down with a cup of green tea.

If you got them for free you may as well give it a shot.

Actually I had a look at these a while back. I came to the conclusion that most of the effects would come from the caffeine that's put in there. There are a few out there that are meant to have other active ingredients with other modes of action but from memory there was no real supporting evidence.

7. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Fat burners are great i used them all the time I think its 3 months on 1 month off. Can't use them after 3pm or your wide awake!

You can find an earlier post with me using them over a 6 month period along with regular swimming I dropped from 27 stone or something crazy it was to 18!

I've had no real side effects apart from having loose bowl movments!! I could only use Sci-MX lean burn without feeling the burn so to speak ;)

I started with 1, 3 times a day mon- friday weekend break then after two weeks i upped it I now take 4, 3 times a day. It helped me give in the pepsi and coffee also!

Allot of people do claim its all in your head! But to be honest if you use them without exercise then your not going to see the results! Pop them 30min before training and 45min before food

8. huge_quads

huge_quads New Member

Fat burners can definitely help to speed up the process, just as long as diet and training are good. Best one I have used is usplabs oxyelite pro and another good one is universal animal cuts.

9. JaxMMA

Thanks.

Are there any other ones people recommend based on their experience?

The one I got samples for is 1-Db overdrive (http://1stphorm.com/1db-overdrive.cfm)

10. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

how did it go?

Well please share those results.........

11. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Fat burners in my opinion should be avoided most are based around combination's of CNS stimulants which have no fat burning properties themselves, not only that you can end up burning yourself out with prolonged stimulant use.

Most of them are equatable to pre-workout products. Many contain quite potent stimulants such as DMAA etc which has a range of side effects such as increased blood pressure, heart rate and even stroke in some cases from what ive read.

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

appetitive suppressing qualities of green tea and caffeine?

13. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

carnitine & cla

Anyone have results or expirience with these?

14. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Sure although most formulas seem to have surpassed the green tea these days. If you wanted the appetite suppressing qualities of the above you'd be better just drinking them or taking an individual green tea supplement etc.

Most of the formulas stack stimulant upon stimulant and pretty much every recent one seems to contain DMAA.

15. Dorian15

Dorian15 New Member

I think the best way which you could loss your weight, always eat simple foods instead of other junk foods, drunk much water, take green tea and do any kind of exercise.

16. Matthew125

Matthew125 New Member

In my opinion you should take natural foods for the fat burning and weight losing instead of fat burner and fat pills.
    Foods such as raw vegetables, citrus fruit, vegetables soups, green tea, and fish oil are the best foods for burning the fat and losing extra body weight.

17. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

The only value to a lot of these thermogenics or 'fat burners' is the stimulant affect or the bit of appetite suppressant they provide. If you use them for that reason, they aren't awful but they wont burn fat anymore than a rubber suit will.

18. pascalywood

pascalywood Valued Member

I took fat burners two years ago and wouldnt recommend it. There was that one time when my heart started to beat really fast, my skin was itchy and basically felt like if I was about to get sick.

Good nutrition and exercise will do just fine.

19. Tyler333

Tyler333 New Member

Natural fat burning foods are the best for the weight loss purposes.
    These foods burn the fat naturally without any side effects.
    Green tea, grapefruit juice, green vegetables salad, fish and fish oil are the best foods to burn the fat naturally.