Faster than Ving Tsun?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by K3MP0, Jul 26, 2007.

1. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

Please no flaming but Kempo and Ving Tsun both have many sifu with really fast hands. Bio-mechanically which is the faster art?

Ving Tsun fast:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuH-GYUHyQw"]Wing chun fast hands - YouTube[/ame]

Kempo fast:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx-m8Xu_tHY"]YouTube[/ame]

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

now that was deadly

3. Almost A Ghost

Almost A Ghost Valued Member

Both guys were fast, but what was the kempo guy doing? With the Ving Tsun guy you could see that he was trying, but the Kempo guy, that just look like a mess.

Of course, I am biased :p

4. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

My kempo sifu is at least as fast as my Ving Tsun sifu was [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DT4-Y_OEt0"]Practice Sets - YouTube[/ame]

5. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

6. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

wow, is that fast.

7. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

I don't no I think it is from three different sets.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

meh...

Between the two the Kenpo guy looked far more aggressive and less slappy slappy. All the VC stuff looks fine and well on someone just standing there passively... but someone who is actively resisting you... well... that's a whole different animal. :D

9. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

The Ving Tsun situation was only a drill. It's called Chi Sao and develops reflexes. Done correctly its a good drill.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  10. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

That was pretty fast :D

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

sorry

But that's a stupid question. "Fast" is not an attribute you can apply to an art. After all, there are no arts that are characterized by slow hand action (not in application anyways).

Wing Chun isn't faster than Kempo or vice versa, and even if one really was, who gives a damn? In the case of these two demos, it doesn't matter if you do have fast hands if your delivery sucks.

Futhermore, that wasn't chi sao, it was standtherewhileipretendtohityousixorseventimes sao.

12. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

I heard that South Preying Mantis is a lot in common with Ving Tsun. Why the negativity?

I agree with you that the person doing the style is important but the moves depend on the style so different moves have different biomechanical speeds. What do you think?

13. Axelton

Axelton Valued Member

I think you think too much. Go train.

14. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Question: A kenpoist and a Wing Chun guy fall off of a ten story building. Which one hits the ground first?

Answer: Who cares?

15. Almost A Ghost

Almost A Ghost Valued Member

Which ever one Chuck Norris dislikes more.

16. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

What i have experienced!!!

This is what i have experienced:
    if you practice a technique, or set of drills, repeatedly over and over again slowly at first ,
    Sooner or later you will gain the speed that comes out of it!!!
    Prime example, if you have a BOB water bag ( the upper torso of a man kind)
    Practice slowly: jab with right to nose, right cross to chin, left hook to temple, right uppercut to jaw.
    Now my point is this:
    The more you practice this combo over and over, you will embedd it to your subconscious , and in return, be capable of just "Launching The Combo Automatically!"
    That would mean extremly fast.Being the world's fastest person doesn't mean he is the world's best martial artist, and i certainly hope the ving tsun gentlemen practices that technique slowly as well.
    As for the Kempo Gentlemen, yeah, he was not as fast, but you could tell what he was doing and his strikes had alot of quickness/force behind them!!!

17. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Tai Ch...

God dammit, to slow.

18. K3MP0

K3MP0 New Member

Thanks, plenty of food for thought. I think both arts are quite fast compared to karate or Judo

19. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

????

20. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Way to ignore Yohan's post. :rolleyes:

Arts are not fast, necessarily. People are fast, or slow, or green, or lame, or whatever.