Faster Footwork

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Athleng Nordic, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I remember reading in some of the threads how to improve foot work and speed. Some of those were jumping rope and something about tapping your foot on a football. How do these work and what are others? TIA!

2. Athleng Nordic

I've just recently heard that doing short distance shuttle sprints help with foot speed? Anyone know if it's true?

I'd have just added it in the original post if I could have edited it.

3. Tribalweapon

Tribalweapon Valued Member

I have heard something about jumping around on an old tire but then again I don't do kickboxing so I could be way off.

4. Athleng Nordic

Working on making my kicks faster

How would jumping on a tire help? I skip rope, it's not had an effect as far as I can tell.

5. rocky

rocky Valued Member

If anyone saw boxing academy on ch5 there were boxers using the tyre.
    Also seen a documentry about a female thai boxer in thailand and she was doing the same-tyre lay on its side with no inner tube and she was "bouncing" round the edge.
    Not sure if this would develop faster footwork but i can see the benefits for balance,changing stance,and rhythm.

Rocky

6. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

could you explain thsi in more detail please, did she joust have one tyre flat on the fllor and she was bouncing on the edges of it?

7. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

I use a weighted vest when training footwork and shadow sparring. Couple this with a few resistance bands and I find that I am physically faster. The only thing to watch out for is that faster footwork also relies on faster reflexes as its normally how quickly you react that governs how good you are at getting out of the way and getting into a good position.

My half pennies worth
    Ken

8. rocky

rocky Valued Member

Yup,one tyre lay flat.She seemed to have her feet almost parallel and was bouncing or rocking from one side to the other,slightly changing her feet position each time she rocked to that side................That sounds even more confusing now!

If you can imagine when you see a boxer standing in the corner of the ring waiting to be called to the centre:-When he bounces to keep himself warmed up and limber,it's kinda like that.

9. marcusknight

cheers, i may try that, just need to steal teh tyre of my mates car while hes in college :p

10. Athleng Nordic

If you need a tire just go to any "Hicksville" in the US and cut it from a tree. They either grow wild or the locals hang'um like X-mas decorations. :D

11. marcusknight

lol, well im from teh uk so its cheaper just to steal it of my mates car, and amuseing

12. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Yeah personally i use ankle weights and then do some fast changing stances same as what the boxers were doing withe tyre on boxing academy. I would say it works becuase when i take them off im alot faster.

13. marcusknight

i used to wear ankle weights when walkign about, but i heard the ydamage ur ankles so i stopped because i have ankle problems neway, is this true?

14. rocky

rocky Valued Member

I think that depends what the diagnosis is for your ankles.If you have tendon problems then adding more weight will probably aggrivate it more.

15. marcusknight

im not sure what the problem is exactly they just twist easily, i know it has to do with the very high arches of my feet meaning that the knife edge of my foot dosent really touch the floor so i can twist them by my ankle buckling on the knife edge side so that the flat of my foot points inwards. But its also somethign to do with either the muscles or tendons as well but im not sure which.

16. rocky

rocky Valued Member

I'm no sports coach or doctor but personally i would avoid using weights and speed at the same time(like wearing ankle weights whilst trying to develop faster footwork).
    If it's a stability problem caused by weak ankles i'd try to strengthen them using controlled weight training such as calf raises to build up the supporting muscles.

Like i said though,i'm no doctor.

Sometimes lack of speed in footwork isn't due to speed itself.It can be caused by lack of balance,bad stance(being caught on the "back foot" for example),etc,etc.My own problem with footwork in the ring was due to the fact that i was very flat footed at first.As soon as i got more rhythm and stayed on my toes more my speed in movement increased greatly.

17. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Yeah i would try calf raises if i were you or do a search on google to see how to strenthen your ankle.