FASD Street Fighting Strategy

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Street Warrior, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Street Warrior

Street Warrior New Member

Hii Mattt,

thanks for actualy posting a useful reply. In fact the whole idea is to explore the concepts further.

In answer to your questions..
    The reason for writing the book is just to share my ideas

I didnt really have a target audience in mind, just those that are interested. I expect alot of slack from the developed community (developed meaning those that study martial arts). I myself have studied various martial arts for a while and many of the concepts go well against what I was taught. It makes for interesting differences in opinions and forces me to reconsider my own ideas.

The book (or me) does not encourage fighting. A major concept of FASD is to do everything you can to avoid fighting first. This book just happens to be on how to fight. (Fighting is only part of the FASD concept)

I didnt really consider goals when writing the book except to write it. It was done in my spare time. I do not require an additional income. What I write has been thought about long and hard, and is always being re-worked according to things I learn.

Thanks again for your reply and I am interested in any useful criticism anyone in this community has.

2. Street Warrior

Street Warrior New Member

haha, sadly you are right.

I almost forgot these existed. these were made more than a little while ago when I used to teach at schools.. more like a 'keep the kids interested for a couple of hours' than anything serious. Things have changed a lot since then,

Saying that, I think some of the vids are still valid

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What is your backgorund and experience to be offering such "advice"

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

If the primary purpose of the system is to avoid fighting at all costs why is the teaser for this book talking about how to 'kill kill kill' isn't that going to make the buyer feel like they got the bait and switch played on them? Shouldn't there be a lot more focus on keeping to the core principles, else if purchased as a stand alone product you will have delivered a completely contrary lesson from your philosophy?

Why are you charging $29.97 for the book if money isn't important?

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You joined and posted all those videos about 2 years ago, what has changed so dramatically since then?

Also, that means you made those after you wrote the book, so they are a good representation of the physical side of what you are advising in the book, correct?

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Guys ease off a bit....we are becoming to quick to character assasinatelately..

Smurf (going soft in old age )

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

He's right.

We've got the Ninjutsu forum for that after all.

8. Hannibal

I think it is more a tendency to recognise that there is a difference between personal training "peculiarities" and people attempting to profit/market "knowledge" that is - at best - misguided info.

The former should be mildly tolerated to a point - the latter need to be challenged or their advice at least put into some form of context

Hannibal (still a miserable old sod)

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I found a few areas for improvement in post 17 here.

10. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I agree. He is selling a product to the public and is going to be viewed as an expert by them in this material whether he intended to or not.

IMO this changes the level of scrutiny and it should be questioned.

11. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Especially since I didn't think of it first.

12. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Ok so what specifically in the vids do you think are still valid from a self defense perspective?

FWIW - I watched your ground defense videos and all I kept thinking was "he made it easy for me to take his back there" or "he made it easy for me to choke him there".

But maybe I'm being too critical and maybe I'm missing something.

13. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Street Warrior, what is your background? I ask because your profile on smashwords
    https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/FirstActionSelfDefense
    states that you have been studying martial arts since 1990, and created your own system in 2002.
    I can not find any reference to what martial arts you have actually studied, who your instructors were, or what level of proficiency you achieved. I also feel that you look quite young, and wonder what age you were in 2002 when you founded your own system.

The fact that you think these vids are valid is clear, otherwise you wouldn't have posted them to your FASD facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FirstActionSelfDefense?ref=stream) a month ago, and that really is the issue. Your skills seem to be at the level I would expect from someone who has learned solely from youtube instructionals. A lot of the advice you offer is either dangerous or lacks utility. If you enjoy martial arts then you should give up any pretensions of expertise, and instead seek out competent instruction. You should not be teaching, and you should not be writing books on a topic you clearly are not qualified to speak on. Charging for this book, or for instruction, is not reasonable given your lack of skill.

14. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

If that's true, then it speaks volumes about your true and honest appraisal of your own skills that you do not stand by those videos on here but instead dismiss them as an embarrassment. It suggests deliberate deceit...

15. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Too much facebook and internet and not enough training equals keyboard warrior rather than a street warrior.

16. Hannibal

I doubt he will return......I offered to review his book for free, but with a caveat of complete honesty

Can't think what put him off

17. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Actually he just opened a thread asking for exactly that, which is admirable on one level, but quite concerning too. let's see if the mods decide to unleash the kraken or leave it closed.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I agree, especially when just two days ago he posted a link to the video "Bringing Someone Down When You Are On The Ground" on his Twitter page courtesy of his website. It appears his Youtube channel has been closed as well.

http://twitter.com/FA_SelfDefense

http://firstactionselfdefense.net/bringing-ground/

19. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thread closed pending MOD discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.