Farewell, adieu, its time to say goodbye

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by hongkongfuey, Sep 9, 2006.

1. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

After much deliberation, I’ve decided it’s time to leave this site for good.

Almost exactly one year ago, our family made the brave (or foolish, depending on how you look at it) move from Edinburgh, Scotland to New Plymouth, New Zealand. Most things in our life have now changed, including where we live, work, where the kids go to school, our circle of friends and hobbies.

I was involved in the reasonably early days of the site, from November 2002 till last year. Most of the stuff I did was behind the scenes, keeping the site running, tuned and up to date. At that time, as well as the site’s mythical founder known only as Cooler, we had the likes of Andy Murray, Waya, Melanie as well as the mighty Yoda on the moderation team. Topic moderators didn’t exist, because the site was small enough that we could manage without.

Over the last few years the site has grown into one of the top Martial Arts sites in the world. The amount of work that goes on behind the scenes to keep this place running is incredible. Guys like Saz, Kickchick, Freeform, Aegis and Kinjiro Tsukasa go through hell to keep this place afloat often without any thanks. Likewise with the topic moderators and the testing team. Nobody here gets paid for the work they do.

When I left, I remained as an Admin as I thought I might return one day. However, I’ve realized that I’ll never be able to put the time in that a role of an Admin deserves, and I’ve seen that the site is now in safe hands. Shortly MAP will be moving to a new dedicated server, and progress on upgrading the site seems to be going well, so it’s as good a time as any for me to depart.

Best wishes to all that remain, keeping this site true to its ideals. If anyone actually remembers who I am, and wants to stay in touch (or donate to the charity run I’m doing on 1st October) then you can find me at www.frost-family.org

Spare a thought for your friendly neighbourhood moderators. :love:

2. Topher

Topher allo!

Good luck with what ever happens next.

Will you pop back every now and then?

All the best. :cool:

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

All the best, mate (can we hold the mod parties at your place in NZ? :D )

4. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Sorry to hear you're going HKF, but good luck with whatever you decide to do.

5. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Aww no way HKF, say it isn't so...

Good luck with everything and thanks for bringing us this site. :)

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi James,

Good Luck with the future and the other things you're doing.

Cheers.

John.

7. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

The world turns and changes happen. May your changes always be good ones.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

You were there with encouragement for me from the beginning. I get to NZ twice a year, maybe I'll run into you! Good Luck!

9. hongkongfuey

Cheers everyone. Kwajman - if you are ever in Taranaki, let me know and I'll meet you for a beer.

10. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Change is the only constant in the universe. Walk softly where ever you go and leave only footprints behind. Thanks for all you have done!

11. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Goodbyes are sad :(

I've not been a member long so unfortunately haven't had the chance to know you. But I wish you all the best over there in NZ

12. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

James,

i was here from almost the beginning and i knew you long before the website took off (who can forget the hunting knife through the foot incedent).

You are , without doubt, the most unbalanced Englishman i have ever had the pleasure to know, and i know you'll take that as the compliment i mean it to be. Wherever you go i'm sure you'll have people running away in fear and i'm sure it'll be a while before Interpol catch up with you again.

Best of luck to you and your lovely family

regards

Fraser

13. hongkongfuey

Fraser,

I've not smiled as much in a long time. I've mellowed out a lot in my old age, but appreciate your sweet words! ;) My wife has decided that I qualify as being Scottish now, but I suspect that's because she doesn't want to be married to an Englishman!!

Staying one step ahead of Interpol, Scotland Yard and those guys in white suits.

I like that. Personally, I believe in embracing change, and never looking back and wondering 'what if I'd .....'. Try, try, and try again, and if you don't succeed, try something else. That way you can live life with no regrets.

14. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I'm sorry, but, by mentioning the word combination of hunting, knife and foot, you are by law required to tell us the full story!!! :D

Does it involve juggling with knives, barefeet and a bad cold or is that just me..?

15. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Hey mate

you probably dont know me but the pride I got from MA's Thro MAP was big time.

I hope u and family go big time in the southern hemisphere

16. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Best of luck to you and yours, we'll miss having you around.

17. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

farewell and good luck with things! and many thanks to you and all the mods and techs who enable us to post on MAP!.

Keep up the swell work ;) :)

18. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Good luck James (and family) in your new life. It was a pleasure to meet and train with you at the Edinburgh get-together a couple of years ago :)

Sounds like we have a few MAP members over that side of the world, so I'm sure you'll still meet up with a few of the gang ;)

Chris

19. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Welcome to the southern hemisphere mate :D.

New Zealand is probably the only country not to get nuked, so you'll be living sweet while the rest of us die :p. Sorry to hear your leaving map, good luck mate.

20. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Dont be to sure; have you seen the latest leaked memo from the Whitehouse? :D

Attached Files:

• plan.jpg
      plan.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views: