Far Cry 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by warriorofanart, Dec 22, 2012.

1. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

So, after a good 15 minutes in the store deciding whether I should get Borderlands 2 or Far Cry 3, I picked out the latter. I haven't played any of the FC games, and decided to try it out, after all it's been rated moderately high to even perfect on most reputable game review cited and on the cover is says that it been nominated for 18 awards.

So I rush home, pop the disk in, and BAM! First thing I am slammed with is a 98 MB patch I have to download; annoying, but it gave me enough time to make myself a sandwich and get settled in.

Done! I grab the controller ready to roll when BAM! The game starts downloading on my HDD; I am getting more annoyed, but whatever I can wait another 15 minutes.

The game finished downloading, and my with my sandwich ravaged I am ready to finally play...and BAM! An infinite loading screen. :bang:

I chuckle nervously and reset my PS3, it happens sometimes, aaaaaaaannnnd BAM! Same thing! The infinite loading screen!

I inhaled deeply and started thinking happy thoughts. So I delete the patch and redownload EVERYTHING again, annnnnnnnnd BAM! SAME COLON CANNONBALLS!?

This is when I started seeing mini versions of Slipthejab spinning around me screaming BAM in unison over my head.

Dazed, I took to Google, tentatively typing, each click ominously loud. After a quick search it became apparent that I wasn't the only one having this issue, and it can some how be bypassed by signing off the PS Network. With a look that would make grumpy cat blush in shame, I signed off and loaded the game...and it worked.

After playing for a few hours I realized that:

-I can't manually save during a quest which SUCKS because if you die you can lose hours of game play.

-The frame rate sucks

-None of the game is memorable. I ran past the same village dozens of time and it still looks generic to me.

...rather disappointed but meh, it's not too bad of a game.

Now that I have been playing it for a couple of days, I am starting to like it a lot. It's A LOT of fun once you get used to the annoyances, and build up your character. The term bittersweet is what's most appropriate here.

So, give this game a try but if money is tight, grab something else.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

sad. My PS3 is edging towards the YLOD. I hope it survives till Last of us. I'll probably grab FC3 after a couple of months too. But for now, i'm playing BL3 with a friend. Its really awesome. But not so much fun alone.

3. pascalywood

pascalywood Valued Member

FC3 is probly my best game for 2012. Vaas is the most badass vilain ever created, he's totally insane but sucks at killing you. The only thing that really disappointed me is the lack of guns, but then again I am a gun nut so too many guns is never enough. :D

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I disliked Far Cry 3. I have it, and it's just so... For kids. BAM, EXMTREME EVENT BOM, STAY SILENT WOAAAH BLOOOD, SHOCK HORROR WOW THIS IS SO KEWWWL. It's a load of crap.

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Reasons why my brother liked it and some friends liked it, OWAH ITS SO COOL I CAN GO TO THE CLUB TAKE SOME DRUGS AND TRIP OUT WOAH THE COLOURS MAN IT'S EPIC ITS LIKE IM REALLY TAKING DRUGS. I was like :|

6. jordanblythe104

jordanblythe104 Valued Member

I loved it. Especially running it on very high settings. I still prefer far cry 2

7. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I've yet to play FC3, FC2 was good, however I would have gone with Borderlands 2, one of my top games of the year =D

8. RexKwonDo Jones

RexKwonDo Jones Valued Member

Your post is startlingly similar to something I said on my own FB after getting the game on Steam.

"After 15 minutes of playing Far Cry 3, here is my *gripe* list so far:
    -- Can't save during a mission. Seriously?
    -- Can't climb in an open window, even though you do so in the tutorial.
    -- CAN'T EQUIP MACHETE. Big *enjoyment* kill right there. Instantly poops on my "tribal ninja" idea.
    -- Generally poor stealth mechanics. No peeking around corners, enemies' footsteps don't even make sounds, no hiding under cars or in crates, or anything you should be able to do realistically. It's all based on line of sight.
    -- Can't climb stuff while crouching. Makes it a pretty big pain in the *gentles* to sneak up on somebody, you pretty much need a direct path to them.

Hoping perks or tattoos or whatever you call it fix at least some of this tomfoolery."

I edited out some of the MAP inappropriate language lol.

But yeah, once I got the bow and realized you didn't actually need to be sneaking to get stealth kills I started enjoying it much more. My favorite setup is Bow, silenced Skorpion, extended barrel 44. Mag for those heavy fire fights, and silenced M-700 with the high-power scope. All black everything of course :D

9. RexKwonDo Jones

RexKwonDo Jones Valued Member

But I have to say, I really hate how the series took such a departure from the original game where you had cool 'genetic abilities'. FERAL MODE!! It was awesome. Far Cry 2 was like a different game entirely, but Far Cry 3 rectified it a bit with the Tatau system.