fan slightly injured at local bout

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hux, Feb 26, 2006.

1. hux

hux ya, whatever.

so last night the wildest thing I have ever seen happened right in front of me. We were at the local venue watching amateur kickboxing and they also had a toughman contest. They got down to the middleweight division championship bout and one of the guys fought pretty dirty. He was pushing his opponent from behind, etc, etc...

So at the end of the bout we're all booing the clown and he flips the crowd off. Then we really started booing him - and he wings his mouthpiece into the crowd. There was a guy sitting one row in front of me and two seats to the left with his 8-10 year old son in his lap eating cheesecake - not sure why i remember that ;) - anyways, the mouthpiece zings the guy right under his eye...so he drops his son and commences rolling around in the floor. I thought he had lost his eye for sure.

The bouncers and sherriff deputies dragged the guy out of the ring and out the door in his fight trunks, and I saw the local promoter popping him in the nose a few times as well.

It was wild. Just wanted to share. The guy is OK, slight swelling - scared the kid to death...and I overheard one of the cops ask him if he wanted to press charges. He said yes.

2. drunken_master

drunken_master Valued Member

Honestly, the dad sounds like a baby, it doesn't seem that unreasonable for the fighter to throw his mouthpiece at the crowd if they're all booing him... that's just me though. I can't really believe they threw him out over just that. And if they didn't like his fighting dirty, well, what they heck are they doing holding a tournament then...

3. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I dunno dude, his eye was blacking up right there in front of us. It must have hurt like hell. I think it scared him more than anything.

re: booing

Shrug. Everybody else that fought did so with some semblence of class, this was the only clown who did anything stupid. I booed heartily, but I didn't lose any sleep over it ;) You gots to understand - here in the South we don't likes that sort of behavior.

4. hux

hux ya, whatever.

on the bright side - I got to meet bill clancy:

[​IMG]

who is my favorite referee. I was pretty geeked that he was at our local venue, but I'm easily impressed :)

5. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

That fighter sounds like a total asshat and didn't get half the kicking he should have. As a parent I can say if I were struck while holding my child there would have been a whole new main event that night. Never underestimate the actions of a parent protecting a child.

I'm not normally one to go looking for a fight but that's unacceptable, what if it had hit the child?

Let's see, I go to a kickboxing match and my daughter is sitting in my lap, one of the kickboxers fights dirty and starts getting boo'ed so he gets mad and has a temper tantrum and thows his mouthpiece and nails me in the face making my daughter cry. If you are a parent then you know the reaction the sound of your childs crying has on you: It wouldn't matter if the fighter was Mir, Crocop, Liddell or anyone else, I'll put my money on the enraged parent any day.

6. hux

hux ya, whatever.

heeeeeeeey it wasn't a kickboxer, let's not insult kickboxing that-a-way.

:p

it was a toughman contestant.

7. drunken_master

I definitely see where both of you are coming from, I'd just rather live in a world where fights are held at shady venues where no one would bring their kid and a little ruckus is to be expected, that's all.

Its kind of like going to sea world and complaining because you got wet. He brought his kid to watch two guys beat the crap out of each other but can't handle something accidently getting thrown at him...

Oh well, I guess its not the thunderdome is it.

Edit: Nice pic, that guy covered in blood looks scary!! :eek:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Ah, that makes sense I was about to say that's rather unusual ring behavior even for a newbie. I can't imagine a trainer standing behind behavior like that. It would have been the first and last fight representing that gym.

9. hux

hux ya, whatever.

that's just some pic I found on google of Mr. Clancy, not from our venue.

I can dig what yer saying - my state is a funny one. MMA is banned in any form, and the boxing commission is commonly referred to as the anti-boxing commission...so an incident like this only fuels the fire for the antiboxing crowd. nevermind that it was a minor injury and yea, it's a fight, etc, etc, etc...but the promoters almost HAVE to react strongly to something like this.

99% of the event went great - great fights, class acts. This one guy, though, is what folks will remember...demonstrated by my post, I reckon. :(

Anyways - point being, the local promoters want to family-friendly-ize boxing events as much as possible to keep the Jesse Helms wannabes off their asses, and I don't blame em...doesn't help when some wingnut launches his equipment into the crowd. ;)

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You're right. It is just you.
    How many fights have you attended? :confused:
    Fighter throwing mouthpieces is not a common thing. Not at all.
    So for a fighter to wing his mouthpiece into the crowd is way out of of line.

errmm... perhaps you didn't quite understand the post. :bang:
    They tossed him out over throwing his mouthpiece into the crowd which hit a dad who was a paying spectator at a sporting event. What else did you expect to happen?

errmm... I guess you really don't go to many events or tournaments.
    They're not big free-for-all's where the fighters can act any way they want. There are massive rules and guidelines that fighters must follow.

I suggest you actually learn something about the events you're posting on. :rolleyes:

11. thaiboxer9

thaiboxer9 Kungfu Boy

I agree completely with Slip,

with all due respect drunken_master, if boxing/kickboxing tournament/fights are being handled by your definition of rules. Its just lawsuit waiting to happens, many promotors will go bankrupt and venues just straight refuses any fighting events. It would be a massive setback to any fighting events, and probably will get bannedd in any states.

12. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

Yes, so I go to a hockey game I should expect to be sticked? I watch women's gymnastics I should expect some balance beam time, along with the splits? ouch... Football... tackled?

13. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i wonder if the dad took it any further? Usually if anything like that happens in the US you get a lawyer magically appearing from nowhere with 3 eye witnesses and a compensation cheque for thier signature :p

if i went to a football (soccer) game i'd be prepared to get hit with a ball in the stands, but not to have someones spit riddles gumshield thrown at me at a show like that :eek:

14. drunken_master

Look guys, I had a real long post explaining, but there's no need since this is just a matter of my opinion vs. yours... (Edit: Never been to organized full contact tournaments, only underground ones)

Honestly, ask him if he's ok, get one of the doctors to look at it, maybe give him his money back for the inconvenience, go on with the show...

The fighter was being an anus, no question, I'd definitely have been booing him too, and I feel sorry for his trainer and partners, but is chucking a mouthpiece really a crime? I would NEVER have pushed charges or even requested he be thrown out over what I'd see as my failure to move my head or get my hands up...

hux's and thaiboxer9's responses make good sense as to why the people organizing the event wanted to throw him out. They're making money off the event, they have legal obligations. It still sissifies the experience, IMHO.

This isn't really worth arguing to me, I guess the fighter took the chance when he chucked his stuff into the crowd.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  15. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I have been to a few MMA events and as a parent I would not advise bringing small children for this reason and the fact that the crowd can be rough.Beer and live violence have an effect and you do have to watch your back and whats going on around you(atleast the ones I have been too).I kid you not,at one I went to atleast half a dozen fights broke out outside,at the end of the evening.No place for my kids,but yours are yours. :D

16. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Fighting dirty, or fighting illegally? I dont see anything wrong with evening the odds by doing cheap shots, but if it what he was doing was against the rules...........

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Er, what's the difference between the two? Surely dirty = illegal? :confused:

18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I think the bold spart speaks volumes about your understanding of the fight game. No wonder you posted what you did. :rolleyes:

What are these 'underground' tourney's you speak of?
    Sounds t3h d34d733. :p

Ringside doctors aren't equipped to do much more than send him to the hosptial or clinic to have it looked at by someone with special equipment. They're ring doctors not eye doctors. I'd love for you to find a promoter willing to give money back for anything. Good luck. :rolleyes:

That all depends doesn't it? Had he chucked it out of anger (which he obviously did) and it had scratched the spectators cornea or his sons cornea you're looking at a long painful eye infection and recovery. So yes in some jurisdictions his actions could be held as a crime for negligence that resulted in injury. Not that hard to figure out.

err... did you miss the issue all together?
    No one goes to a boxing match or a fight event expecting to get a mouthpiece chucked at them. You may know that had you actually attended one. Had you had your cornea scratched before and understood the ease with which the eye is infected once it's surface layer is compromised you might rethink your stance on the issue. I've been the 'scratched cornea' route - the medical bills get stupid real fast. Not to mention the time off work and the cost of the medication involved in treating it and the hassle of it.

Yeah no kidding - part of that 'legal obligation' is to ensure the safety of the spectators. When they fail in that respect - the run the risk of a lawsuit.

This isn't really worth arguing to me, I guess the fighter took the chance when he chucked his stuff into the crowd.[/QUOTE]

19. hux

hux ya, whatever.

drunkmaster - I think you get my point and it's fair enough. Just to expand on it:

honestly - and I say this with all due respect - those underground matches are the reason I have to travel out of NC to get a real MMA fight.

Our boxing commission get a lot of pressure from politicians who know nothing of any type of full contact fighting. They see UFC on TV and think "My God, that's just a bloodbath, we don't need that in NC" - they see it as a bunch of thugs getting together to beat the crap out of each other and bet money on the outcome(also illegal in NC).

My goal, and any serious promoter's goal around here, is to get MMA allowed in NC. To do that we have to establish credibility for the sport. They don't need to see bloodied combatants turning on the spectators - they need to see the Randy Couture's being professional and showing courtesy in and out of the ring. They don't need to see dimly lit smoke filled venues where spectators get hurt and fights spill out into the seats - they need to see MMA'ers do their thing and then act like TMA'ers.

I don't wanna drive to Virginia to fight MMA. I wanna fight right here in my home town's venue, where my momma can come see me lay down an ass-whooping. To do that we gotta keep it clean and respectable.

Last I heard they charged the clown with assault - which I support fully. There's just no call for turning on the crowd...ever.

re: bringing the kids
    these events are not MMA, they are boxing/toughman contests. Not sure that matters, but security is tight and no clownerism is allowed. I have seen kids there before and honestly once my son is about 7 or 8 I'll prolly be taking him too.

re: dirty fighting
    Nah, none of it was illegal. Stupid stuff like pushing the other guy from behind on the breaks, couple punches to the back of the head. It got out of hand when we started booing, the ref(Mr. Clancy) never gave an official warning.

I was just one of thoe situations where you had to be there, maybe. :)

also a thought that sends cold chills down my spine - anybody can sign up for the toughman contest...what if the fighter was hepatitis or HIV positive? Suddenly now you gots a potentially deadly weapon being hurled into the crowd. Saliva into the dude's eyeball and all.

Ugh.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  20. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

See---->