family martial arts uk

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jager, Apr 17, 2011.

1. jager

jager Valued Member

What does anyone know about Family martial arts uk, i was thinking of joining but would like some backround if possible on th eclub and the owner "Master Ivan Rolls".

It looks like an MMA/self defence based on keizen do karate based in Liverpool.

Thanks

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Loks crap. Don't go.

3. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Seconded, looks massively dubious

http://www.martialartsliverpool.com/your-instructors.php

''Currently he is studying under the tutelage of world-renowned self defence expert Geoff Thompson.''

I don't know when that was written but I'm pretty sure Geoff hasn't taught for years apart from a yearly BCA seminar.

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Looks wack.

You'd find more grit on 'blue peter'.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'll go anywhere where Konnie Huq goes.

Unfortunately the Judge says "No"

:confused:

Attached Files:

6. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

If you can make the trip to Widnes and want to do MMA, then I think the Wolfslair is the place you want.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

They are crap. They had a stall at the Wirral Show in New Brighton a couple of years ago and it was all 'motivational' martial arts rubbish, impractical flashy stuff that wouldn't help you fight your way out of a damp paper bag. Whereabouts are you? If you're in Liverpool and you want to do MMA there's Wolfslair, Next Generation, Liverpool MMA or Fighters and Fitness to look at. All these places are a million times better than Family Martial Arts!

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Training is where I go to get away from the family. :)
    Family martial arts indeed.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Seriously, WTF is that style? If you are making one up at least put "do" or "jutsu" on the end of it

Notice there is no mention of how long or what grades they actually are - a yellow belt in each counts as a grade in those disciplines

It looks a bit suspect to say the least - and I am sure there used to be one in Trafford Manchester too near where I used to live

10. moatiliata

moatiliata Valued Member

Looks horrendous. Each of the instructor profiles says "considered by their peers to be one of the best instructors in the country".. There isn't any objective information about any of the instructors, which is a big red flag (what styles are they trained in? how long have they been training?).

You can identify this as being a poor dojo very quickly by noticing that they boast about how quickly the instructors received their black belts (age 13!! hits like a train!!) - don't mention what arts they're trained in and spent the rest of the instructor profile talking about non-martial arts related things. Other than "has a blackbelt!!" the profiles are all "loves community work" etc - what does that have to do with martial arts training? They boast about being black belts but also profess to bond/fix families - well I want to know how it is they propose to do that, and where they gained the skills they need.

That place is being marketed as some sort of "sort your life out" life coaching facility, but gives no real credentials for the martial arts training or for the life coaching. Saying "she has a black belt!!" isn't enough to back up MA ability, and similarly, saying "loves community work! :):)" isn't enough to say they know what they're doing when dealing with parent/child issues. Families are complicated - you can't advertise as being able to sort everyones stress/problems without having some sort of training/experience.

Also, this last line was hilarious:
    "Her goal now is to improve the Wirral's community, one Black Belt at a time."

A black belt does not equal happiness, nor does it equal anything else that this scam of an organisation are suggesting.

11. Killa_Gorillas

I agree I think mushroom's approach is far better...

(improving this community one pic of Konnie Huq at a time)

12. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

I've left quite a few obscene, foul tongued and deeply offensive remarks on this video. Unfortunately they keep getting deleted.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG1Ad09hGHY"]YouTube - ‪TEAM STRIKE AT FAMILY MARTIAL ARTS LIVERPOOL‬‏[/ame]

TEAM STRIKE!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHA

13. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Master Rolls has disabled the comments on this one, can't think why.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yR7Lh3Z6ww"]YouTube - ‪Family Martial Arts Leadership Academies - Liverpool, Prescot, Wirral, Chester‬‏[/ame]

14. Killa_Gorillas

Go Team Suck!!! :banana:

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Master" Rolls has a very bobbly head!

16. bajie

bajie Valued Member

Master Rolls, Master Bates more like.

17. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

"you'll develop your fitness, you'll develop your confidence to extreme (or is it X-treme?) levels, you'll learn self-discipline which will make you incredibly succesful in life."

lol. Just thinking of the foot fist way. Says exactly the same thing. Funny, it LOOKS the same as well....

18. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Seriously mate, Liverpool has so many great alternatives there is no need to consider this for a second. You have some idea what you want from a martial arts class? Google Fu is your friend.

19. Notatroll

Notatroll New Member

I'm writing this to tell you all, never to join FMA.

I was involved with FMA (Preffer not to say which one) and i can assure you that these money grabbing people will rinse you of all your money, the monthly charge is contracted to 3 years of 105 pound's per month, with added fees for equipment of 300 quid, for standard low quality gear (You cannot use your own.) also, grading fees are 30 to 50 pound every 2 months, and 300 pounds for your black belt, and another 100 pound every 4 months if you want to "keep" your black belt.

They will use everything in the book to get your money from you, including trying to force you to go into instructor training which only takes a year! i know, right? which will add thousands more on your bill for the end of your training in the third year, essentially the least you can spend over 3 years in this martial arts club is 4 thousand to over 10 thousand pound.

It is a complete con, and will completely wreck your life as it has with mine.

Do not do it, infact... people should be rallying to get these people out of the martial arts scene, because they are not enhancing peoples lives, they are destroying them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
  20. bajie

bajie Valued Member

So just out of interest, what influenced you to join in the first place? Did you enjoy the training at first? What exactly do they do during classes?