Falling out with an organization

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Virtuous, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

After reading aikiwolfie's thread about a falling out with a teacher it raised some question with me and my personal plight with an organization.

I didnt agree with the buisness practice or the ethics so I left. I still train at the school and remain good friends with the owner. Actually Im his part time uchideshi/handyman for the dojo.

Now for what ever reason I feel its time for me to move on and begin teaching. What do I do? The org literally threw my rank records in the trash when I didnt renew my dues. Even if I did renew I get to start all over again.
    First of all would it be wrong of me to even consider teaching? If not can I legally teach the art? Would I have to call it something else, or just call it aikijujitsu generically? When asked for proof of experience the only person who can refrence my experience is my own teacher. If I ever did teach it would be for the sake of teaching, not to make money.

What would you do?

In case you are wondering I am not refering to diato aikijujitsu or any other well known and respected ryu. Although if I were to guess this art is diato with a new name...

Just curious...

2. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

25 is a bit young to teach imo.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

For being on your own, yes, indeed.

Yes, you can legally aikido or whatever it was that you learned. You can call it by any name that is not trademarked.

4. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

I dont disagree, believe you me it isnt something I plan on doing for a very long time. If I sounded that way it wasnt intended.... Aikiwolfie's question made me question what I would do if I were in his hypethetical position, sandan and all... Dig?

An answer to the original question would be appreciated. With age not being a factor and the assosciated criticisim set aside. Purely hypethetical :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

The first question in your post is: "First of all would it be wrong of me to even consider teaching?"

You're a sandan? Then setting aside age, my answer is no. But I'm confused what you mean by your organization throwing your rank records in the trash. All aikido schools I've run into record ranks in their HQ in Japan. Isn't your rank recorded in Japan? And don't you have a pretty calligraphy certificate with your rank on it and the seal of your organization?

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Aikimac I think you're failing to appreciate there are organisations operating in the UK that are now totaly independant of Japan. I my self belong to one such organisation. While some are distinctly McDojo-ish, there are others working away quietly and honestly producing the best Aikido students they can.

Anybody who leaves one of these independant dojos/organisations seems to enter a strange limbo where they have reached the required level of development, but aren't recognised by anybody and are harshly critisised for setting up their own clubs. I feel this is where organisations like the BAB should come into play. But given the BABs recent history you couldn't blame anybody for giving them a wide bearth.

I wouldn't say it was wrong of you to consider teaching Virtuouse. When it comes to insurance you should at least have the backing of your own teacher. Assumeing he gives his blessing.

I also wouldn't say 25 is too young to teach. Actually I'd say it's just about right to start. The individual maturity and ability of the student is really what should dictate the level supervision the student requires. However it is always better to be part of a larger organisation. Teachers are also students. And as such they also need to practice.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

:(

8. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

No Im not, but in Aikiwolfies question the hypethetical person IS and this question was derived from his. My face must be blue.....
    and if you must know I am 1st kyu.

My rank is supposedly filed in Japan but I highly doubt it. As the group has no real Asian sponser other than Sedokan, and I know they arent storing our records. Now as for my documents, have you ever seen a certificate or grade papers that have an expiration date? Mine do, they expire every 2 years and need to be mailed back for replacements. Should I miss my yearly dues for the org than their records of me get filed in the trash can.

The reason I ask if it is even wrong to consider teaching is because I am teaching intellectual property that I dont own, ie I pay royalties to teach a style regardless of the name. Basically any legal implications.

Actually my teacher has been slowly giving me teaching responsibilities over the past year or so. Priming me I suppose.

9. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Insurance may be the biggest hurdle. If you left now, you may need to transfer to another organisation and have them take you to 1st Dan, and approve your grade and teaching qualification.

A 1st Kyu is unlikely to get any independent cover here in the UK, but someone who calls themselves a 3rd Dan and prints off their own certificate would probably be accepted to join some of our shadier organisations and get cheaper insurance through them!

The gradings you undertook formed part of a contract with your sensei. If you knew there was an expiry date then, sadly, I don't see that you have much of a legal case if you fail to renew.

As you say, most gradings are 'for life' and in that case, your sensei would have no legal right to withdraw them once awarded. Sounds like your sensei is a shrewd business operator who knows how to tie you in to his organisation - forever!! If I'm wrong, it may still be worth trying to secure all your grading evidence by telling him he has that contract obligation.

However - all of the above may secure your grade but I don't personally know of any case where a 1st Kyu has been approved for insurance without direct supervision of a Dan grade who visits the club very regularly. In my own organisation, setting up your own club without supervision is usually done at 3rd Dan, although lower Dan grades have done so with monitoring from a higher grade. (1st Kyu students are trained as 'assistant instructors' and are expected to train and qualify as instructors once Dan grades.)

If you transfer to another organisation they may accept your current grade and then it's just a matter of time.....and skill, of course!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  10. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Things in the US are a bit different in regards to insurance. You do not need to be insured to run a club, at least that I am aware of. Should something happen and you are sued and loose your responsible for the funds period. Most of the time you would use something like your home owner's insurance or any other policy like that.

I am only going to say this one more time This is not something I am even remotly considering. The question aikiwolfie asked in another thread made me entertain the thought if I was in his proposed position, this would assume if I was in a "QUALIFIED" position to teach.... I make no qualms about it, I am not currently qualified. I appreciate the concern, but it isnt pertinent to the question :).

Back to trashing of grades, I never thought about it that way and it might be worth investigating. Thanx

11. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Sorry, I've amended my posting as it may be that in accepting the 'renewal' of grades, your legal case may be weaker. Of course, he may not know that, o it might just be worth saying: 'isn't a grading a contract, I read somewhere' !

12. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

It is not my sensei's practice. It is his teacher, the leader of the org our dojo belongs to. I wont speak for him, but I am pretty confident that he doesnt agree with the practice either. In fact I havent paid dues this past year which effectivly makes me 6th kyu. My teacher how ever still recognises my rank in the dojo and continues to grade my performance, but on an unofficial basis.

He is a man of good character and holds all of his students to a higher standard than what the org requires. He usually shields us from the political Bull and most people in the class will not bother to research it on their own. I share what I have found with him and only him in the scope of the class room.

13. SmilingBear

SmilingBear Valued Member

I won't get into the details of the hypothetical, but I want to point out that you would need insurance hear in the US. There are a handful of companies that deal with the specific needs of a dojo owner (a homeowner type policy won't cut it) and they are priced differently depending upon the type of practice you engage in (e.g., sparring, weapons, ground, etc.).

The organizational affiliation requirements aren't the same as they (sound like) they are in England. But no amount of waivers, incorporation, or bankruptcy filings is going to get you around the need for insurance.

--Bear

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I've never known of a renewals policy for grades except when people leave for a long time and return looking more than a bit rusty. My own grading certificates have no expiary date. However my teaching certificate sates it is the property of the organisation.

15. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

Tintin's just turned 26....

Admittedly in Hobbit years that makes him 104 ;)

(And when did he start drumming for the band 'Ash'?)

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Ooh! Ooh! I saw that too! :D

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Where the hell is tintin these days anyway :confused:

18. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

Moved in with his girlfriend and currently ....cleaning :D

I think his broadband is waiting to get set up, so hopefully he'll be a regular again soon. (...when he can fit us in between gigs :p )

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

LOL so he'll be back when his gf stops hogging the computer :cool:

20. AikiBudo

AikiBudo Valued Member

iwas graded 3rd dan by a JJ organization here in the states and when I left that outfit to pursue other things my grade was dropped to 1st dan. I had studied with the same teacher for over 15yrs but that was the set up.