Falling, competition, and injury

Discussion in 'Judo' started by TheMightyMcClaw, May 16, 2007.

1. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

So, I'm pretty new to Judo, but I have a hypothesis I'd like to run by you all.

In practice, we are told to fall on our backs, breakfall, and try to spread out out the impact as much as possible in order to avoid injury. This is also how your opponent has to land in order to score an Ippon in a judo tournament. As a result, people try to fall face down, cartwheel out of throws, and so on.
    Is it just me, or do the rules to Judo Shiai seem to promote dangerous falling methods? I know we practice front falls, but surely, isn't there more that can go wrong trying to spin and fall on your arms instead of falling on your back? I know I've seen at least one person break his own arm trying to cartwheel out of a throw.

Am I wrong, or is this a factor that makes judo a much more dangerous sport than it would be otherwise?

2. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Personally, I never went for any of that fancy cartwheel stuff. Then again, I've had ippon called on me when I landed on the front of my shoulder/face and also when I landed on my butt. So if the refs are out to give it to me, no use breaking my arms trying to avoid it.

That's all the judgment I feel qualified to make on the subject. There are others who have done more research and written more...

http://www.judoinfo.com/pdf/ukemi.pdf