Fads come and go

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by icefield, Mar 3, 2023.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

This is so try and so on the money its not even funny
    Facebook

hewho, axelb, Grond and 1 other person like this.
  2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Most of my training is LSD and that's because I can simply maintain it most of the day, vs. more intensive training.

It just comes with age I think. A few minutes of training of any intensity will be valuable, but every body has it's limits. Remember when Pelaton and Spinning was all the rage until people started having heart attacks because they just have to keep up? Extreme or high intensity training is not all it's cracked up to be. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say.

Meanwhile I can safely dance throughout my day at a moderate pace, burn calories, maintain muscle strength, and feel great when I crash at night with relatively little ache even if I get some lifting in.

The most pain I feel training nowadays is on the balls of my feet from the ballet.

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I think like everything it's a balance. People who point to boxers and Thai boxers only doing LSD work forget that pad work and skipping is essentially aerobic interval work.

Likewise those that point to explosive athletes like NFL players doing short sprint workouts tend to forget the 30-40min active warm up they do which is essentially in zone 2 lol.

A mix is always best but as you say LSD is easier to do, easier to recover from can be done more often AND easier to increase and that increase has a much bigger impact on you ability to become a better athlete. So that is where you should put most of your training.

hewho likes this.
  4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

The stuff that works does indeed work...

But if I can't market fads, how do I get my super duper instagram personal (online and we'll never meet, I'll just send everyone the same cookie cutter every four weeks) training business to take off?!?! I have to justify the £999.99 monthly price!

icefield, Mitch and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I saw Creed III after binge watching Rocky movies this week. I tried to keep this thread in mind and picked out the different interval vs LSD bits. Rocky III beach sprints vs. Rocky IV climbing a Siberian snow mountain, that sort of thing.

I set the treadmill for 25 degree incline and went about an hour at a slow pace. Now I can't feel my legs. :D. Maybe tomorrow, ropeless jumps for an hour. That would be something.

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

And because I'm feeling nice
    Facebook
    Just using 1 and 3 for most people will do wonders for your training
    To use myself as an example when I couldn't understand why I kept gassing out after the first few rounds of sparring years ago (I was doing heavy sprint intervals with short rests, explosive work etc) I checked my resting HR was in the high 60s my recovery less than 20 beats in 60 seconds. I was going anaerobic very quickly.

Fast forward a few months my resting HR had dropped to high 50s my recovery closer to 30 beats seated.

These days my current resting HR is averaging at 51bpm my recovery standing around 30-35 beats.

Simple measures to test what you are doing is working.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    Mitch, axelb, Grond and 1 other person like this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I don't get paid to push Joel's stuff (honest) but another post we can all learn from, the age old question volume v intensity actually answered with science and real world testing
    How Much Volume and Intensity Do You Need? - 8 Weeks Out
    And another post on the subject

axelb and Frodocious like this.
  8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What do the coloured zones correspond to in terms of HR?

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

These zones are taken off your fitness levels, max heart rate HRV score and recovery score so are different for everyone BUT not that different I'll give myself as an example
    Blue recover is between 96 and 148bpm (obviously if it's conditioning work and not just recovery it's between 120-148bpm)
    Green conditioning is 148-165bpm and red overload 165-180bpm.

If using the app and his chest band your daily zones will change based on recovery how hard you trained the day before etc

My weekly zone target to give you and example is around 230mins in the blue zone but only around 8 in the red zone that's how little true high intensity work is recommended for me to improve.

I recommend the free app for anyone it works with any chest strap but measuring HRV and recovery you need their chest strap, but if you are interested in conditioning work you can get a lot done and a lot right with just the free app and your own HR chest strap.

axelb, hewho and Mitch like this.
  10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Interesting. I hadn't realised the app had a free option. I love Joel's stuff but don't train at a level that I want to pay for functionality in an app. I'm going to download it and see how it works. Thanks, Icefield! :)

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It has the various intervals and uses your age and fitness level and an algorithm to project your max HR (unless you know it) and uses the above to set your workout zones.

It has a number of workouts in the different zones and let's you set time reps etc according to your goals its very useful even without their strap.

I don't think it allows you to test HRV or workout your recovery etc without their strap but honestly if you have trained long enough you can do volume and recovery by feel

Frodocious likes this.
  12. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Yes you need specific HR monitor to get HRV and all the ones I looked at are chest strap monitors.

The HRV monitoring is good for everyone at it covers recovery more accurately for people doing a variation of conditioning, like cardio, lifting, martial arts. I found a lot of other recovery solutions with HR monitoring only work well with cardio based training. Lifting can be strenuous with a relatively low HR compared to running, but it would mark recovery as longer for running, and any lift as minimal recovery.

Of course it is all a tool, if you use it long enough then you get to know how you feel most of the time. Even then I find it useful to pick up on needed recovery with I may not be listening to my body due to ego, or even the signs are too subtle.