Facing weapons!!

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by johndoch, Jan 20, 2003.

1. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I was just thinkin about weapon defences. Has anyone here faced a weapon wielding nut job on the street and how did u get on?

I think training for weapon defences are important because it could happen anyone and the consequences are serious so anybody's advice on weapon training would be good.

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I can't say I've met many, just one in fact. Maybe I'm lucky because I've met enough unarmed and it is easy to pick something up.

I had some trouble against a guy with a bottle, it wasn't much of a wrestling contest in the end, no punches thrown. I did end up with a bust lip after being hit with said flying bottle after the calming down failed, grrrrhhh

Last edited: Jan 20, 2003
  3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Just the one - it was a knife - I'm still here - he has a very flat nose :D

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

What did he do with the knife Yoda?
    Glad to hear about his nose, obviously some aggressive negotiating went on :D

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I faced a guy that had a half a brick in his hand. I was 16 and this guy was in his mid 20's to make matters worse we were on a steep slope and he had the higher ground. I seen the brick and thought F*** it and lunged to hit him in the n*ts (any higher was useless due to the slope. Anyway it was a bad move and I got hit to the back of the head about 6 times before I was on the ground trying to cover up from quite a few hits/kicks to my face/body. He left me to go for my mate who at this time was fighting his mate. I came around quite quickly and got up to get this maniac of my mate. But he turned round and threw the brick at my head which I ducked from about 3-4 metres which was a mix of luck, instinct and adrenaline.

Made me think though. I took some heavy blows to my skull and got around 20 stitches for my troubles however I still got up pretty quickly too help a mate.

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I would hate to face a knife. Its just to dodgy!!

Hey Yoda
    How did this *&^&$% get a flat nose "a headbutt??"

7. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I've faced a knife (talked him out of doing anything stupid). And I've had a few guns pointed in my direction ... fortunately, none of them ever got fired. 2 of the gunmen got some money and went on their merry ways (once was a mugging, once the place I was working got robbed). The 3rd gun, I outdrove him (we were on the interstate).

I'll leave them summed up like that because, looking at them, I realize they seem a lot more impressive without the details :)

One of the funniest weapon related things that's happened to me wasn't even a threat, per se.

To keep things simple, I'll name some names. My sister is Susan. Her sister-in-law is Marci. Marci's boyfriend at the time was ... umm ... can't remember his name (she's no longer with him) ... I'll call him John.

A friend (Dave) and I were helping my sister's in-laws move. John walked up behind Susan and, joking around, bumped the back of her knee so she lost her balance (she didn't fall or anything ... he was just fooling around). I was talking to Dave and didn't notice what John had done.

John tries it on me. I reflexively pivoted and moved into him ... which put him off balance and ripe for a sweep. Dave (who trains with me) laughed and told John, "Good luck getting him with that."

John: "Do you train in martial arts?"

Me: "Yeah."

John: "What kind?"

Me: "Kali and Silat."

John: "What are those? I've never heard of them."

Me: "Well ... Kali is weapon-based and, what you just felt, that was some Silat."

John: "Weapon based? What kind of weapons?"

Me: "We start with sticks, then move to knives and staves and such."

John was holding a box cutter in his hand (closed) and, at this point, he did something stupid. He said, "What would you do if I did this?" and he went to "cut" me (it was closed) with the box cutter.

I slapped his forerarm down and pinned it against his abdomen while I poked him in the cheek with the fingers of my other hand.

John: "Holy crap!"

Me: "Yeah ... and then it gets ugly."

John: "What do you mean?"

I brought his hand (the one still holding the box cutter) up into a wrist lock while applying a fair amount of pressure to the base of his thumb. At the apex of the wrist lock, I popped his hand and pushed against the side of the knife with my thumb. Meanwhile, my other hand drew my Spyderco from my waistband. As his box cutter skidded across the floor, I popped my Spyderco open and said, "Like I said ... then it gets ugly."

John (staring wide-eyed at my knife): "Crap!! Where'd that come from?"

Later, things got even more humorous. Dave and I went out into the driveway and started playing Espada y Daga (sword and dagger) with sticks and training knives.

John came out and watched for a little bit. When Dave and I paused, John said, "Man ... I've been training in TKD for a couple of years ... and I do pretty well at tournaments."

I said, "I bet you do."

John shook his head and said, "I don't think I could touch either of you."

I thought it was all pretty funny ... but maybe you had to be there :)

Mike

8. YODA

No - his face kinda hit the floor very hard. It was a leg sweep against the front of his knees - what Pesilat would know as a Basset Dalem.

9. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Always a good option :) I'm guessing that you probably had his knife hand controlled in an armbar during the Biset Dalam?

Mike

10. YODA

Actually no - it was unattached. Something I would never have planned - it just "went off".

Worked a treat though :D

11. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Yoda the sweep sounds interesting could explain the mechanics a little

Last edited: Jan 20, 2003
  12. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

That's the best way ;)

An unattached biset dalam is rough ... good timing.

Mike

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Ya a big group of ppl were ready to stone me to death, I ran like f*** n never saw them again, it's not funny though.....they were a bunch of activists, very common in India woth all thse riots, it was not a pleasent experience

|Cain|

14. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I've faced sticks of various sizes several times, one with a couple of four inch nails in the end of it. Generally I reacted by blocking the stick (ideally softly and close to the weapon hand) taking control of it and either taking it off the miscreant or trapping it so he can't use it. The one with the nails in I handled differently as the aggressor was part of a large gang. I knew it was imperative to keep his colleagues calm so I concentrated on talking to them whilst simultaneously blocking his repeated swings with the stick. I think I was lucky not to get 'nailed'.

I'm glad I've never had to face a blade or a gun. And I'm not sure that any great insight can really be gained from what little experience I have of facing weapons, other than maybe 'its scary'.

Mike

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've had a knife held to my throat from behind on three occassions. Squared off with a knife twice, one of those guys legged it when I did a Crocodile Dundee (I was just off the train from a camping trip), one lead pipe and most recently a bottle of Vodka.

Oh, and almost forgot that I got stabbed in the hand with a pencil once.

Colin

16. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Ahh, infamous and deadly lead poison attack. LOL.

17. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Still got a stupid blue/grey dot in my skin cause I never cleaned the wound properly, take note children!

Col

18. c_storm51

c_storm51 Valued Member

I suffer from the same 'grey dot' syndrome - got stabbed with a pencil when I was a kid....never cleaned it....

As for weapons defence, I totally agree that it is vital for street defence. It could happen to anyone at any time and these days it's becoming an increasing threat. Having said all that, I'm training in TKD and so far haven't been exposed to any weapons defence. It's definitely something that given the opportunity I will definitely do.

19. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

The knife HAND came UNATTACHED? WHAT THE HELL KIND OF TECHNIQUES DO YOU GUYS KNOW?

/iolair backs away nervously

20. YODA

LOL!

Nooooo........... I mean I wasn't grabbing him in any way. WE were not "attached" :D