Facing the Federation

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Polar Bear, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Hi All,
    Well due to circumstances last year I was forced to take on more of an instructors role at the Glasgow Duellists. Well technically we don't have instructors only those who have trained longer. Anyway I was elected Marshal, whose job it is to bring structure to the training and ensure the progression of students. Not a job I wanted but it was either that or watch the club fold.
    Now to add complications to the situation in order to maintain our insurance we have to go through an assessment from our Federation (British Federation of Historical Swordplay). So this weekend I have to trek all the way to Aberdeen and face the scrutiny of my peers to determine if I am judged worthy as an instructor.
    If I pass then the club can continue, if I fail then the future of the club becomes in doubt. Nothing like pressure to focus the mind. Anyhoo I'll let you all know how I get on. Interestingly this will be the first ever grading I have accepted in 16 years martial training, the things you have to do to keep a club running.

The Bear.

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

We haven't allways agreed, but I wish you luck anyway :)

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well you can laugh youself sick if I fail. ;)

The Bear.

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Pass or fail the club should go on unless someone from Aberdeen can spare the time and effort.

Politics:evil:

best of luck koyo

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Good luck, Bear.

I had to take on more of an instructor's role by default. I remember the first class I taught... during the warm up I'm thinking "who the hell do I think I am, teaching swordsmanship?" But somebody had to do it. And it's worth it, I think. If you've gotta go through some kind of peer review, then to keep the club going, it's totally worth it, IMO.

Go kick some posterior!

Best regards,

-Mark

6. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

I understand.

With Mark gone, the Military Saber instruction falls to me. Problem is, I really was just studying Military Saber to inform myself on another aspect of Bowie Knife. Now, I've always said that the Military Saber is foundational to much of our blade-work, but still, I'm not a Sword instructor!

Well, I guess I am now. :p

We'll muddle through somehow, but damn do I miss Mark. :(

Official re-opening of the club is this coming Monday of next week.

Wish me luck.

I'll say a prayer and and keep a thought for you.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Good Luck with your re-opening. I know it will be a bittersweet event, when I was forced to take over, I spoke to Koyo and got lots great of advice and encouragement on how to manage it.

The Bear.

8. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Well, do your best to look mentally balanced and it should be ok. Can you do that?:)

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah I'm more worried that my reputation will precede me and I won't get much of a chance.

The Bear.

10. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

HAHAHAHA

I'd offer to speak to a few friends of mine and put in a good word for you, but that might do more harm than good. ;-)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Stolenbjorn

Perhaps a little off topic, but do you need to be graded to legally instruct in Scotland, or is it rather to keep beeing able to say that you're associated with a certain tradition/school? Because if you were living in Norway, I don't think you'd need a grading to instruct:

I've instructed hema in norway for some 5 years now, and nobody have ever graded me. I tell people who got me started, and when I show interpretations, I allways tell my students where I have my interpretation from (be it my self or other instructors I've seen on gatherings like f.eks Swordfish in gothenburg). Wether my quality is good enough, I leave to the students, and I allways encourage them to think on their own, so that "my" classes is more like a workshop than a rigid school. I allso encourage my "students" to join me on trips to gatherings, so that they can get input form other instructors; to broaden the horizon, and beeing more capable of judging wether what I tell them is fine with them

I'm not associated with any "established" WMA-grouping, and don't charge any money.

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Hi Stolen,
    Yeah your right I don't have to be a member of an association to teach and I don't need graded. However, you require an instructors certificate to get insurance. That is the reason I'm doing it. Also alittle feedback from other instructors in the Fed is no bad thing.
    I also don't charge any money, the club fees pay for the hall and equipment.

The Bear.

13. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well, I'm back.
    The assessment day started with a very cold 3 hour drive to Aberdeen. Followed by a very cold hall in Blair's College. The setting would have be perfect for a modern slasher movie with 20 swordsmen going to a crumbling old college in the middle of nowhere where the power was ropey and there is only on small dirt track in and out. In fact we managed to blow the power twice through out the day by using electric heaters. Anyway I think you get the picture.
    The Day started with a series of seminars on health and safety and risk assessment, equalities and child protections. Which were all very interesting and realising that risk assessment isn't about stopping people from doing dangerous things but just assessing the risks managing them and then informing people who that part that these are the risks. Lots of things that WMAists should really know.
    The actual exam was 30 mins teaching + 10 mins questions. You have to deliver a 20 minutes group lesson immediately followed by a 10 minute individual lesson. They gave a list of criteria to follow and a sample lesson plan. I as usual binned all that and just decided what to do when got to see who I had to teach. I got nobody who knew German longsword so I had to take it from the beginning. I have to admit it's far harder to teach when there are two assessors and I also had a small crowd of on lookers just interested in what I was teaching. I have to admit I was lucky and has a great bunch of guys to teach. Especially Alistair from ASG who acted as my single student from my individual lesson.
    The rest of the day I had to be a student for another prospective instructors which was exhausting in itself because you don't want to screw up someone else's chance and having to do all this is about 0 centrigrade.
    At the end of the day we got dragging in before the assessors and given a grilling over performance. I was expecting the worst but I PASSED. Actually I passed with no negative comments on my performance at ALL. In fact both my assessors were very complimentary and urged me to do seminars at events because so few people in the UK do German longsword. I have to admit I was quite touched by the enthusiasm.
    The night was spent in the pub chatting with like minded people. Spent a fair amount of time talking with Barry and Kim Young of Aberdeen Sword Group and Nigel Plum of Schola Gladiatoria. I was very graciously given a bed for the night by ML of ASG and made to feel very welcome.
    Next day was a first aid training course which by the end you gained an appointed person first aid certificate. This is now a requirement of the instructor process at the BFHS. I have to admit I thought it a bit of a waste of time but by the end of the course I had completely changed my mind and now see the wisdom of this training.
    Over all I am glad I did it and got to meet the people who are trying to shape the BFHS. I also got to test myself against my peers and got to meet most of the Aberdeen Sword Group. The ASG did a great job of arranging the event and looking after us.

The Bear.
    BFHS IL1

14. Stolenbjorn

Congratulations, Sensei!
    (Or grand squirrel, or what exactly is your title now ;) ? )

I think meeting other instructors is one of the most inspiring things I do in this hobby (in adittion to see the light, or watch a student see the light).

I really hope I get to see your teaching in pracice one day, our past disputes have made me extremely curious!

15. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

WEll done bear I new your compassion and dignity would shine through on the day.

Can I have it back now????

regards koyo

16. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

'Grats.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Thanks all.

Stolen, I still have no title. So whatever you call me offline is cool ;)

Koyo, Yeah it's in the post though maybe alittle worn now.

The Bear.

18. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Congrats, Bear. I had no doubt you would do well.

That's one of the nice things about the population density of the UK... swordsmen out the wazoo. It's a three and a half hour drive to the nearest friendly Western sword club, and after that, it's all the way to British Columbia (about a 13 hour drive) to find the next one. I don't know if there are any in Saskatchewan or Manitoba at all.

Best regards,

-Mark

19. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Congrats Bear! Great news.

20. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Congratulations, well done!

Louie