Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Blade96, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

A film where people are complaining that other people have been expelled for their views who then expel one of the people in the movie (PZ Myers) for his.
    Tells you all you need to know about the integrity of the people behind it.
    Not seen it but if it promotes intelligent design then it's not worth seeing pretty much by default so I don't feel I'm missing out.

3. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

*I'm going to watch it first before commenting*

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  4. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

And here it is folks with Polish subtitles (for those that are Polish)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZAAh_6OXg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZAAh_6OXg[/ame]

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Right... because MAP has a massive Polish contingency. Glad to see we've covered that base. I can't imagine what sort of fix we'd be in if we'd provided Polish subtitles for anyone else. The horrors I tell you. :p

6. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I can get by in English just fine, but thanks for your concern. :hat:

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Well, to tell the truth it was the only full video of the documentary I could find. It just happened to come with Polish subtitles. :rolleyes:

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

intelligent design...
    i have no praise for it or the people who support it.

ben stein admitted bias motive and many flaws in this film.
    including the darwin quote

EDIT:
    but just cos they believe in something crazy. doesnt mean they arent decent people.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What about lying to the people they interviewed and then refusing admission to a showing of the film to someone that was actually in the film?
    Are they decent people?

10. Mangosteen

i didnt mean the people involved in this film in particular. i was referring to general believers in intelligent design.
    just because they cant grasp the concepts of evolution, doesnt make them terrible parents or employees does it?

11. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I agree that the film is biased, and I've hit the 20 minute mark.
    When you say intelligent design are you referring to the concept of young earth creationism in modern Christianity or the concept of a supernatural, intelligence behind the processes of everything?

12. Mangosteen

Im referring to the "Guiding hand" of god that people believe created people rather than natural selection. As in not creationism.
    I disagree with it cos its not a theory, its a compromise that tries to bring science and religion together, which is totally fine - in a religious studies class.
    But why not teach evolution in school and let people develop their own ideas of god guiding stuff at home?
    People may have some inkling towards intelligent design but there is no proof to substantiate it so it is not science and shouldn't be taught in a science class

Evolution or Creation?
    Why choose when you can have both?
    Intelligent Design! Now sillier than ever!

I move away from the topic though.
    The reason these guys were prolly expelled is cos they prolly tried writing scientific papers but included intelligent design, something which has no proof.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  13. Rand86

Whuh?

It's not a SCIENTIFIC theory, granted. But it has a decent claim to being a philosophical theory. :p

14. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I agree, science needs to be taught as science and philosophy needs to be taught as philosophy. It appears to me that the problem is that people are struggling to identify the differences between the observation of nature and the questions of life e.g. meaning and reasoning. Which is probably how evolution received its bad rap in the Christian community through Darwinistic philosophy, which is sad because evolution as a fact is independent of any belief. Whether an intelligent mind was involved or not is subject that should be and needs to be reserved for the philosophical arena. Both sides of the argument needs to be taught in order to prevent the encouragement of fundamentalism, close mindedness and lastly ignorance. However, not in science.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It wasn't. It's the antithesis of evolution by natural selection.
    End of debate really. :)

16. Mangosteen

exactly. but for some a few groups are to close minded to understand the arguments presented by evolution.

i think worse than anything is how readily people are willing to give funding and support to intelligent design campaigns.
    i cant seem to find the clip, but i watched a documentary about the kids getting taught biology but couldn't grasp the concept of evolution. more than anything it seemed that the kids were unwilling to accept other explanations for the complexity of life other than creationism.
    the kept talking over the teacher and yelling stuff like "no it doesnt make sense", when he was trying to explain concepts.
    the teacher was interviewed and said "why should these kids have to choose between their beliefs and science, its not fair"
    it really sounded more like he got fed up trying to get these stupidly close minded kids to understand natural selection and instead replaced it with god to satisfy them.

i think the reason natural selection is such a concern is because some people dont want to accept that their existence is random and that complexities of the things around them are random, so it means god hasnt set created them with a greater purpose.
    it is a depressing thought but it doesnt dissuade a belief in the meaning of life.

actually evolution prolly explains the meaning of life better than religion in a way... but i dont want to annoy anyone with my thoughts on that unless they ask for them.

17. Rand86

How very religious of you. :p

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hah...nah mate. It just drives me nuts when religious people say they accept evolution by natural selection but then sneak in a little caveat that god guides it, oversees it, prods it from time to time or got it started so humans would arrive at some point.
    In which case it stops being evolution by natural selection and becomes evolution by divine tinkering.
    Which is a different theory altogether.

19. Mangosteen

No it just becomes different

20. Rand86

^ You mean it's no longer a theory? :p