Exercises for injured knee?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by B.A. Baracus, Jul 24, 2015.

1. B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus Valued Member

Hi guys,

I seem to have an issue. I have recently had a knee dislocation, I went to a doctor who then sent me to a physical therapist who basically told me that I have bird legs and I need to strengthen that funny bulging (mine doesn't bulge) muscle on the inner leg right above the knee.
    I have tried doing Squats, lunges, raises, ect. But when I try to work it, it just hurts and I cant get it pumped up like I can my arms, abs etc.
    Is there an exercise I can do that doesn't require a squatting motion?

I've been doing leg raises and stuff but that doesn't seem to help...any ideas?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Do you mean the medial vastus?

It's often the cause of knee problems.

Have you tried going back to the physio?

As its a corrective exercise, your issue is probably its not working well, so the exercises to switch it on, won't give you a pump effect.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. B.A. Baracus

I don't know what its called. but that's probably it.
    Yes he gave me some leg raising exercises to do but ive been doing them for a year now and no improvement. Im ready to get serious about it but I don't know how...

4. B.A. Baracus

it says that 16 guests are viewing this thread. Are they like spam bots or something or are people really sitting around watching our conversation?

5. Dead_pool

Get serious by seeing a physiotherapist.

You have to be very careful about taking medical advice from anyone but qualified physios/drs etc.

6. Dead_pool

If you google injured knee exercises this thread will come up, most of those 16 will be from that.

7. B.A. Baracus

ya well they pretty much told me "tough luck boy" so i've been trying to get some one that actually knows what their doing.

8. B.A. Baracus

9. Dead_pool

That would be a qualified physio.

How did you dislocate it?

How are you squatting? Bodyweight, with weights, single leg?

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

People reading, but not members of MAP.

It's just like you going to a forum you're not a member of and reading sections you have access to.

11. Dead_pool

12. Dead_pool

13. B.A. Baracus

But what the phiso told me was that because I had loose muscles and tendons it allows my knee cap to sit at an angle on my joint. he also said if I strengthened my ligaments and muscles around the area it would totally fix my problem.. my problem is that most of the exercises that fix it also hurt.

Would an isometric squat work well for that?

14. B.A. Baracus

thats strange it wont let me see the new posts unless I back out an d go back in.

15. B.A. Baracus

I dislocated it by landing on the side of my foot after doing a double jump front kick.

16. Dead_pool

See a physio and get more input.

Asking unqualified strangers for advice is generally a terrible idea.

Don't do any heavy kicking or jumping until its sorted.

17. B.A. Baracus

And I haven't been squatting at all. its to painful.

18. B.A. Baracus

thanks for your advice

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

How bad was the dislocation and how long were you out of action for?

Were you really active prior to the injury?

What is your gym access like?

How long ago was this?

Have you discussed why your knee hurts when you squat? (that's an important thing, as things should not be hurting and Squats are a big power builder)

I would probably go to another physio if you been going to one and they haven't explained exercises to you.

I have a long history of knee issues. I ripped my ligaments and torn my meniscus (padding under the knee). Due to inactivity for a long while, my muscles shrunk. My knee healed but I now have loose ligaments.

Leg Extensions (Front Quad)
    Hamstring Curls
    Leg Press - like a seated Squat

At some point, you would need to start squatting though.

Also look at some Band work, resistance work, stuff like that. Obviously no running/jumping, until you're comfortable in doing so. I don't even go on the treadmill anymore, I use the Crosstrainer, as its essentially running but its a lot better for your knees in general.

20. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Cycling or swimming are probably the most friendly knee exercises. But knee dislocation is not something to ignore. Mine resulted in surgery and two years of recovery as a result of doing something similar to what the OP did. Go back to your doctor and ask if you can get reffered to have some scans done on your knee, this will rule out whether you need surgery or not. If not, then go find yourself a new physio.