Exercise order

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mr Punch, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Didn't know where else to put this but this forum seems about right.

This is from hereand is a progression of exercise order presumably for stretching as the main objective.
    I've heard various advice about for example:

A) Don't do alternate days of endurance and strength as the strength gains will be negated: training them together is fine, though. (From Schuler/Cosgrove's New Rules of Lifting)

B) Don't do yoga/static stretching before heavy weights as it relaxes and stretches the muscles in a way that will make them more prone to injury under stress (apocryphal - can't remember where I saw that)

Given these various opinions, does anyone have any other advice on exercise order, be it in one session, or over a week or whatever, and for different goals, e.g. strength, flexibility, speed, endurance etc?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Mr. Punch,

The sequence of exercises I stated (and which you have quoted) is the correct order of exercises in any given workout, not just for increasing flexibility.

In the duration of a training cycle you should try to adhere to the following order of types of workouts:

1. Technical (learning or perfecting technique at medium intensity)
    2. Technical (perfecting technique at submaximal and maximal intensity)
    3. Speed
    4. Speed-endurance (anaerobic endurance)
    5. Strength with submaximal and maximal loads
    6. Muscular endurance with medium and low loads
    7. Muscular endurance with high and maximal intensity
    8. Aerobic endurance with maximum intensity
    9. Aerobic endurance with medium intensity

This was outlined by researcher N. G. Ozolin in a 1971 study. It is also supported by Thomas Kurz, the world's leading strength and flexibility coach.

Hope this helps.