excersize for getting more power into no clinch curved knees

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by robin101, Sep 12, 2013.

1. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Hey guys

My curved knee strikes to the ribs and hips in the clinch are ok as i can pull the guy down into them for power. However I cannot work them outside the clinch, I know its possible because a guy I know does them to me like this all the time and they are powerfull.

And advice for exersises or ways of drilling to get better at them?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ask the guy who does them well.

3. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Ask the guy who does them well, or a trainer watch you do them and correct your form. Then practice them till your legs feels like it will fall off! :p

4. robin101

Asked the guy, and he just says he does the training we usually do. And the trainer just says keep working at the regular drills. I guess its either I need more practice, he is just naturally good at them, Or i am naturally bad at them. OR maybe a little of each. Ah well back to the drilling.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Curved knee from outside the clinch? I don't think I've ever seen anyone try that and I'm not sure why anyone would.

As for getting better at them - it's probably just about learning to generate power for that particular strike. As with anything, you need to make sure you're getting your hip into the strike. Try hopping your standing leg inward to give yourself some extra room.

This video shows it quite nicely.

http://youtu.be/ohoEwK-F5Xg?t=1m57s

6. robin101

hmmm ok we are taught this as a kind of curved knee
    http://youtu.be/tk1KrOhwKO0
    though they call it a "horizontal knee" we are taught everything comming in circular as apposed to straight knee is a curved knee. The one in the link is what i am talking about. he even does it outside the clinch.

7. holyheadjch

Ok, I'd call it a round knee, but I get it. The power is generated in the same way a Thai kick generates its power. It's all about getting the hip through. Stepping to the outside will open your hips a bit more. I'm not sure I'd throw one without also going for a side clinch

8. robin101

well he works it quite well, I think im getting inside a round kick, and he turns it into a knee and wham into my side. Knocked the wind right outa my sails one time.

9. holyheadjch

It's basically the same movement as a thai kick just with a bent knee, so I can see why you'd get caught by it whilst moving in. If you know he does it, don't step in on the round kicks. Or if you do, step in with a stop hard enough to take him off balance.

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

In the Horizontal Knee Strike vid Holy shows, it was taught to class as an advanced technique as it was never used as an isolated strike outside of clinching, in which case they were used in diverse and sundry ways and that whole MT Clinch World with its grappling, all the pushing and pulling, timing intracacies as well as the use of straight and side knees just about qualifies as a seperate Artform IMHO.

Outside of clinching, it required - if you're targeting the midsection/frontal area - not simply under his left shoulder/rib area with your right knee (assuming standard stances) - stepping forward right ( or switch stepping if you were already in ) trapping or controlling your partner's left jab hand (with your right) at the same time wrapping your left arm ( as much as possible ) around the back of their neck while driving your left knee into their mid - essentially the idea was to control their left in anticipation of a punch, while pushing their head/upper torso down with your left while driving your knee in at a necessary angle between 45 degrees and 90 ( horizontal ).

I hope what I'm trying to convey isn't too muddled here.

Sounds lovely but pulling it off was something else altogether - it had to be done in one single flow of motion or it wouldn't pan out and you'd get quickly countered by something a lot simpler and quicker to pull off while you were trying to figure out what went wrong. Easy to miss the hand or loose control of it and holding someones head down with both your hands locked around their necks is difficult and perilous as it is, but one arm...too many things required to happen without fail at the same time.

Anyroads, in regards to the Horizontal knee video, I was under the impression that knees (straight knee, even though its at an angle) were best for in and around the clinch - except for the convoluted example I gave above, sometimes countering advancing partner under circumstances; but that it was fairly rare to have someone come directly in with a s.knee, without various setups with kicks and punches.

In the vid, are they just showing the isolated knee for illustrative purposes?

Thanks kindly for indulging this humble inquiry!