Excellent Fight Vid - Sidekicks to the Knee

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Yohan, May 17, 2008.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

This is a really excellent fight. Much props to Lee Murray for being so tough in this fight. He really put up a good fight against Silva, lasting the whole fight and losing on a decision.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zByWAK22o1k"]YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxSWNDkMuNo&feature=related"]YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crvpVT9rZVs&feature=related"]YouTube[/ame]

Here's a rundown of the fight:

First round:

Up front they come out with a bit of punching, Silva throwing a few high kicks and less low kicks. They clinch a bit and there are a few takedowns but neither really able to damage each other on the ground.

Second:

Silva comes out, keeps a long range, they trade some shots and Silva takes a few hard shots, and looks rattled. After they stand up, Silva backs off seriously and starts looking for kicks. At this point he kinda disengages, and goes on the defensive for a bit, obviously trying to work out a new strategy. After a bit, he starts using roundhouse kicks and sidekicks with the knee. He chains together side kicks to the knee, roundhouse kicks and straight punches. It really makes Murray back off.

Third:

Silva murders Murrays left leg with side kicks and rounhouse kicks, Silva stays out of range and wears him out while Murray has no answer for Silva's leg kicks. He controls the range, staying outside and using the his kicks to fantastic advantage. Leg, body, head, he even throws in a back spinning kick for fun. He ends up backing off at the end of the round running the lock down and winning on points.

Another interesting thing you see him do towards the end of the fight is switch stances. He uses orthodox and southpaw interchangeably, screwing with the guys head.

One of the only pro fights that I've seen someone use the side kick to the knee successfully. It also shows why you're never going to really disable someone immediately with a sidekick to the knee, unless they just don't know what they are doing and straight leg it.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The fight commentators were a joke. The one of them in the third round talking about Murray dominating the stand up... lol... what fight was he watching.

Murray may be a tough nut... but he was outclassed by a mile. Seriously this sort of commentator work is really sub standard. It's one thing to have a hometown favorite but to talk about someone dominating when all they're doing is eating kicks and punches is absurd.

Do yourself a favor and turn the sound down if you want to watch it without those two clowns yapping away.

Is Lee Murray still in prison for the £53m raid at the Securitas depot in Tonbridge, Kent, in 2006.?:confused:

oh wait... a quick Wiki shows that he many never be prosecuted for it because of lack of an extradition treaty between Morocco and the UK... it's like something out of an old time gangster film.
    So apparently Lee Murray ended up doing 8 months in a Moroccan prison on hash/cocaine possession charges. Charming. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Murray

3. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

I think the commentator made a mistake and meant Silva and not Lee dominating the stand up.

4. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Eh... I don't think the commentators were bad so much as biased. And I've heard worse. Mike Goldberg is cringe-worthy at least once per broadcast.

Silva is scary. He's extremely fluid and relaxed, and has a great sense of timing. I agree with Yohan about the sidekicks, though. I've played around with it a bit with my training partners, and while it's no fun, it's not the instant leg-break that it's occationally been sold as. Thanks for posting, good vid.

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I thought Lee Murray was the MMA fighter that was stabbed a few years back while out and about in a night club?

6. slipthejab

It was... same guy. Also the same guy the beat up Tito Ortiz outside Funky Buddha club in London. A man's got to keep his rep ya know... :D

7. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Ugh..... I had to turn down the volume. Not only were they stupid, but since when does the word "strength" have an 'F' in it? strenff

8. Burnsey

Burnsey Armchair liberal

Well, if you think thats biased commentary then you should see the bbc coverage of the England football matches :D.

Seriously though that really was all round shocking commentary, I wondered if I was watching the same fight. Now, if you saw that in the UFC then you would expect someone to get fired. Its almost as bad as the UFC 1 days of not knowing what a guys style was and all that rubbish.

I would also have to say that despite being completely outclassed, Murray seemed to be a tough nut and got up when he got knocked down. I guess a part of this was that Silva was not as good then as he is now, but Murray showed that he had heart in that respect.

9. slipthejab

Yeah a fella like Murray would be the last sort of fella you'd really want to have to tangle with.:p

10. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Hmm, why haven't they met up in the cage then?

11. slipthejab

wah? :confused:

You asked if this Lee Murray was the same Lee Murray that was stabbed a while back outside of a London nightclub. I said it was... not really sure what you mean now.

You're wondering why Lee Murray hasn't met up with who in a cage bout?:confused:

12. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Nah, not about the stabbing...meant Murray and Ortiz...meeting up in the cage..since you had mentioned Murray beat up Ortiz outside a London Club...

13. slipthejab

Ah right... now I get it. I don't think Lee Murray was at the same level of popularity that Tito Ortiz was. So I don't think that Tito would have really gained anything from fighting him in terms of career advancement... I think he had enough higher profile fighters to choose from without having to fight Murray. On top of that that there's always the across-the-pond issues... and if boxing is anything to go by... arranging fights across the pond only happens when all the planets are in alignment. :D

14. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

So true Slip,

Getting fighters to go overseas is a pain.

15. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Has anyone read the comments from youtube?

I have to quote this cos it made :D

:D:D

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

since when does the word "strength" have an 'F' in it? strenff

Steady. That's exactly how I say it. :eek:
    I pronounce my last names as "Smiff".

17. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

That is shocking commentary incredibly biased... and that guy Lee was just outclassed by Silva. This match was not close at all. Though like Yohan I agree he showed good heart to stay in.

18. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think his punching was better and harder than any of Silva's individual suits. In fact, I think in a straight boxing match, Murray would have easily knocked him out. I believe he was out thought by Silva, who realized the fact that Murray was a better puncher, so he used kicks to soften him up and eventually hurt him. So overall, yeah I think Silva outclassed him because of his versatility.

It's all subjective. I enjoyed that match because it was well thought out.,

19. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

lol.... I suppose it could be worse: "StRANGff" sigh..

20. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

I think Murray may have stood a better chance if you couldnt see his right hand coming from last week, he threw some big right hands but they were so damn obvious.

Props to Silva for not only evading them but in a few cases getting a sweet take down aswel! The final one right at the end, he slips underneath and completely takes one leg gaining side mount (if i remember, in work so cant check), he's a class act all around though.

Good fight and sorry of the worst commentating if ever heard :D