ever been tapped out by a girl ?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by natxanadu, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Impressive but a bit meaningless as raw speed is nothing if not directed in the right way. As has been posted here already, more skilled people can beat some bigger stronger people, because they don't know how to apply their strength. Same with speed. A slower more skilled person can beat someone who has greater raw speed but little skill.

You need all three S's to be really good (speed, strength, skill) - All four if you include stamina.

W

2. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

Tapped lots in Judo, nothing wrong with that & I have fought many excellent female fighters in randori & been shown up, you learn important lessons constantly in martial arts.

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Up until the point where they choke you out ;)

4. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

I get tossed around alot by girls in judo when I was into that.

But I don't get tapped out by girls in jiujitsu mainly because there's only one girl there and she just started 1 month ago.

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

We don't have any girls at the main Jujitsu class I train at :(

6. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I know what you mean...there is a severe deficit of girls to tap guys out! ;)

I am the only female in the beginner's classes and there is only one other female in the advanced class.

And back to the original topic - yes, I have been tapped out by a girl and I have also tapped out a lot of guys. Funny, I never think "golly, this guy is tapping me out". I am usually thinking "darn, tapped out again!" :rolleyes:

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I can't imagine it being very encouraging for a woman to check a club out; just to find it's full of guys.

With this in mind, it kind of starts a continuum.

8. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Well, to be honest, if I had not gone in with my husband I would have probably not joined. It took quite a while before the guys felt comfortable rolling with me and to realise that I would not break if they touched me. I also miss all the locker room gossip and that is where the guys do most of their chatting and getting to know eachother - once we are on the mat it is all business.

Hopefully, the next time a female is interested she will see me and realise that girls can do this...even against bigger, stronger guys.

9. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

I know an escape from arious choke holds strait into an arm bar/arm lock so i rarely get choked at all

10. geek4life

geek4life New Member

I don't know. I've been to two different MMA schools with at least 150+ student in each school and I have yet to see any female MMA fighter.

11. Kintanon

Kintanon Valued Member

Formula for the math enabled

Speed + Strength + Technique*2 = Effectiveness.

Technique and training can go a long way towards overcoming a speed or strength deficet.
    But, say we're using a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being bob sapps power, Superfoot Wallaces Speed, and Royce Gracie's technique.

At 5 + 1 + 5*2 = 16
    At 5 + 2 + 3*2 = 13
    At 1 + 5 + 5*2 = 16

Etc... So as long as you agree that Speed and Strength are equally weighted and that Technique counts for twice as much as either just speed, or just strength. You can see that There is a point where a big strong fast guy with no skills may be whippin' your ass.
    A more realistic formula would probably have technique at 1.5 or even only 1.25. I do think that training and technique are somewhat more important than speed or power, but it's not the RAGING disparity that some people seem to want to believe. And I think that power honestly counts more than speed a lot of the times. I'm HELL faster than one of my training partners, but he outweighs me by 60lbs and outbenches me by about 100lbs. He's a total newb pretty much, but he's been training with me for about 6 months and just started with my TKD class. We're almost dead even because my str is a 1, maybe a 1.5. His is like a 3.5. My speed is a 3.5, his is a 2. My skill is like a 3, his is a 1.5.
    I submit him about 50% of the time, and that's rapidly going down. Standup I can beat him about 75% of the time still. But his size DOES make a difference.

Kintanon

12. geek4life

geek4life New Member

Size usually equals strength. We wouldn't spend countless of hours lifting irons nor would there be any weigh division if strength and size don't matter. It takes more than just techniques to be a grappling champion.

A 160 pounder has much more advantage than 100 pounder, but a 240 pounder has very little advantage over 180 pounder. I guess strength even it out in heavier division.

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  13. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Personally I think you should check your balls in at the door next time you go to class, you obviously aren't a man.

14. geek4life

geek4life New Member

so real men are supposed to lose to women in a grappling match?

Interesting concept

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  15. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

No, real men aren't.

Also, I was taking what the French call 'le ****'.

16. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Play nicely, kiddies :)

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  17. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

when i first started jujitsu for the first couple months i got my ass handed to me by a female black belt...helps you lose your ego fast...