ever been tapped out by a girl ?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by natxanadu, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Anne

Anne New Member

This is quite a stupid thread, not meaning any offense to anyone. A girl in Jujitsu is just the same as anyone else. It shouldn't be "surprising" a girl can tap you out, it shouldn't be like "Hey, yeah, I know a girl who can tap some guys, isn't that impressive?", it should just be accepted.

We're not in the 1950's anymore.

2. yes

yes Banned Banned

Strength matters and I don't think it's changed from the 1950s that men are naturally stronger than women, so I expect most men think they can outmuscle the women which is probably true most of time. However, it just goes to show how technical grappling is.

3. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Ive been tapped out by MAPer "Fluffy Doc"

It was my first time and she seemed quite experienced (anyway , back to the topic of being tapped out) :D

*waits for revenge by Freeform :cry:

Yeah been tapped out by a girl. No shame, she's very good.

4. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Only paritally true....

Like yes says, guys tend to be bigger and stronger, which does make a difference.

I guess if you wanted to be PC you could ask if anyone has ever tapped to a substantially smaller and weaker opponent.

Grappling is also a male dominated activity, high level females aren't that common. Which is kinda odd cause I find all the females at my school really enjoy grappling and prefer it to striking...

I got one that routinely taps out guys with 50+ lbs on her though :D very impressive too watch.

5. totality

totality New Member

yes, yes is correct. a male grappler generally has a lot more strength to apply.

but AG, fewer high level females? c'mon, tito ortiz almost beat arona in the semis at the adcc qualifiers, that's got to count for something, right? :D

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven New Member

gender has nothing to do with martial arts... skill is based on dedication and technique along with many other things... ive never had the delight to be tapped out.. altough my arm was shatterd in a revers triangle arm lock... i dont like tapping for anyway regardless of gender ;)

7. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

when you get your opponent to the ground, strength and size become irrelevant. all that matters is speed. although generally the highest level speed athletes (i.e. runners, blah blah blah) tend to be male, girls are WAY more flexible than guys. so they could easily ownage some arrogant 225 pound who outweighs them by some 100 pounds. i've been easily beaten by a 110 pound jiu-jitsu master, and i outweighed her by like 60 pounds. in short, size doesn't always matter.

8. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Size ALWAYS matters, no way around that. THere is a reason for weight classes.

Size and strength can be overcome by technique, but Size and strength play a big part.

9. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

no way man. on the ground, size DISAPPEARS. my sensei trained in jiu-jitsu, he's like 160 something. he destroyed a guy 150 pounds heavier than him. speed is always a factor, and the faster one on the ground will win. why do you think some of olympic wrestlers are substantially smaller than their opponents? speed.

10. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

They aren't.

They are grouped by weight class.

I can and have beaten people a lot bigger/stronger then me too, That is because I know more about it then they do. If we where at the same skill level they would have thrown me around like a rag doll.

11. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

are u referring to jiu-jitsu or judo? why can't anyone just accept the fact that on the ground, size rarely matters? ack.... :cry:

12. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

All of the above.

Size does matter.

Even Jujitsu competitions have weight classes.

But it is a nice sales pitch....

13. totality

totality New Member

oh c'mon, if you're going to start a ridiculous argument like this, based on "my sensei could pwn your sensei" type of ideal, then at least don't use wrestling as an example. wrestling relies on strength and speed. size does matter less on the ground if the person who has it doesn't know how to apply it.

i'm sure that since your sensei is much faster than alexandre karelin, he would easily avoid having his back broken by a belly-to-back. :rolleyes:

speed is about then same as strength on the ground, that is, not as important as technique. and that's why some smaller people have success against the larger and less experienced. however, with two people of of equal skill, the stronger fellow will win. by flying reverse RNC at 1:55 or R1.

14. yes

yes Banned Banned

That's far from true. In stand up, is all that matters speed? No. I don't see why it's any different on the ground.

Size matters! You cannot say it doesn't. Stronger white belts tap out more technical, but weaker blue belts. Bigger and stronger brown belts tap out smaller and weaker black belts.

We had a 112kg monster come in and start learning BJJ. At first he was getting tapped left, right and centre. Once he learnt to keep his arms in and got some knowledge of the basic submissions to watch out for, he's been very hard to submit when he is far less technical than most of the people there. I can catch him in a triangle from guard or a head/arm choke, but he just pulls out of it like it's nothing. I fear the day when he knows how to distribute his weight half-efficently from on top!

I think it was Roy Harris that said speed, strength, etc. were the physical attributes behind technique, what creates your technique - I agree. Yep, part 2 of this article, http://bjj.org/articles/harris-analysis.html

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  15. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

then explain to me why all jiu-jitsu masters, technical or not, have completely destroyed everyone, no matter what size. even if you can lock well, you can't stop what you can't catch. watch ufc. notice how mostly how mostly all the champs are jiu-jitsu and muay thai masters? that's cause when they're on the ground, they can beat up on the super muscled boxers and what not...

16. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

And a small skilled boxer would do that to a bigger stronger unskilled fighter....

No different.

Size does matter, always has, always will.

So does Skill.

Both count

Not just one

BOTH

17. yes

yes Banned Banned

All jiu jitsu 'masters' are technical? They destroy bigger and stronger opponents because they don't know how to grapple?

Put Mario Sperry or Mino against a smaller black belt and see who wins. ;)

18. Fire_Wings

Fire_Wings New Member

Good lesson learned.

I always make it a point to spar with the new people, and yes, even if I have alot more skill, they sometimes overpower me. The point is, either way it goes I make them take me seriously. The one thing I can't stand is the ones who refuse to.:mad:

The most pathetic thing I will ever see is a grown man pouting over being tapped by a girl. They should all get over it and stop being a bunch of macho's. :woo:

Then of course I MIGHT get a LITTLE pleasure out of certain astonished looks. :Angel:

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Thats ma girl! :love:

Was my understanding that she's still giving you a hard time on the deck ;)

As to this weight thing, of course it bloody matters! Right, one of my Judo coaches is about 65 kg fitest man I've ever know, and he completely owns me on the ground, I'm 102 kg. Thing is he's a fourth dan and been doing Judo since the late 60's. Thats skill.

This is a massive exception, an incredibly skilled practioner who's 'lived' Judo for over 30 yrs. Most people don't come anywhere near this level of skill, hence weight catagories.

Col

20. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

um...since when did i say all jiu-jitsu masters are tehcnical? if they are both the same size, and both the same skill level, then it's a draw. i am merely saying that even if one dude was 100 pounds heavier, then the lighter on could still lock him and submission him.