Evening Gym sessions!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FortuneFaded, Feb 13, 2006.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Hey all,

I'm going to be going to the gym once again in the upcomming weeks and i'm looking for some advice.

What i need to do is work out my schedule, i'll let you know my schedule at the moment:

Home 6pm after my last meal at 1pm, my dinner is normally around 7pm and the gym closes at 9pm :S I'm aiming to do 90 minutes. 60 minutes of gym and 30 mins of swimming.

I'm looking for a way around eating my dinner, having to wait sometime for the food to settle and getting enough time in the gym before 9pm!

What i'm concerned about is eating 'something' substantial before going to the gym to give me energy etc before getting back and eating my dinner. Given i'd be aiming to leave the house at 6.30pm and get back at 8.30pm (including changing and cycling home times)

So, i need advice on what foods to eat and any thoughts on going to the gym in the evening?

2. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

Just a thought but increase the intensity of your workouts. Keep your weights down to 3 lifts at a time and you should get the session done in 45 mins max. try interval training while swimming. one length butterfly followed by one length of breaststroke. you will find this gives you a shorter but better workout leaving you more time for your food to go down!

3. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

What are you doing between 1:00pm and 6:00pm? Pack yourself a snack, small mid-afternoon lunch, or a protein bar. Then eat something light again before working out. A banana and spoon or two of peanut butter would be fine. Lift hard, go home and eat big then.

4. FortuneFaded

Well i am in college from 7am till 6pm. Well up at 7am, college at 9am right through to 4-5pm. Lunch is 12-1pm then classes till 5pm.

What sort of snack? Protein bars? This isn't something i know much about. Also, it can't be something that costs £5 a bar and if it can come from tescos, even better! lol. I'm generally hungry when i get home but not starving but i know if i went to the gym i'd be fatigued quickly.

5. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

Do a search on here (or on google which will hit other good forums) for "protein bar recipe." You'll end up with a huge variation on the following theme:

4 tablespoons peanut butter
    4 scoops of whey protein
    1/2 cup ground flax seed
    sucralose/stevia/honey to taste
    1/4 cup water

mix it all up a lot, separate it into 4 equal portions, wrap up in plastic and press into a bar shape. Refridgerate or Freeze. Eat.

Most of the recipes are similar. They might add oats but almost none of them require any cooking. Just mix, shape and eat. It'll give you ~300cals per bar depending on the recipe and at least 30 grams of protein, if not more.

Have one of those around 2:30 or 3:00 - midafternoon. When you get home, grab a quick digesting carb source like a banana, or even mix up a bottle of gatorade. Have a coffee if you need a pick-me-up, but the caffeine might affect your sleeping...

Anyway the point is to break up that 1:00 - 6:00 drag of time with some food in the middle and have a quick carb source for workout energy before the gym. Then eat your big meal after the workout, lots of protein and carbs then.

6. FortuneFaded

Thanks, this has been very helpful

Now to find variations that do not include the vile paste of the devil, evil peanut butter!!!!

grrrr! :Angel: