Even leg strength

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by E-Rocker, Jan 17, 2014.

1. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Hey all. I've been (unconsciously) compensating for an old injury for years, with the result being that my left leg is significantly stronger than my right leg. I'd like to get them closer to even.

My instinct is to do strength exercises and just do more reps with my right (weaker) leg. Do you think that would work?

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Silly question but how do you tell that your leg strength is different from side to side? What sort of exercises are you doing?

Consider doing squats/deadlifts etc and follow some sort of power lifting program (eg 5x5) and over time you will progress and both legs will improve in strength. You may need to do some fine tuning but it will get you started...

Now IF you are more concerned with size/shape then perhaps increased reps/volume etc will give you more size (if combined with dietary changes).

There are better sources on here for this info but at least it will get you started thinking about your goals.

LFD

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

if you do unilateral exercise just do them the same, it will even out itself in most cases without the need for overcompensation.

If its due to an injury in the past I would be most concerned about mobility imbalance which often needs more addressing than strength issues.

as far as unilateral exercises, what are you planning on using?

steve

4. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Thanks for the responses. So far for strength training, I've mainly just been working out with a circuit-training DVD. Started about three weeks ago, and I am already noticing that I'm a bit stronger.

I don't have access to a whole lot of equipment- sadly my dojo lost its weight room last year. At home I have some dumbells, a Swiss ball, a balance disk, some resistance bands and a stationary bike.

I'm also a big fan of body-weight exercises because I can fit in a few sets on my lunch break.