Even being a skilled Hapkido artist this move always gets me

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by DC_Benny, Jul 21, 2004.

1. DC_Benny

DC_Benny New Member

I have been in many fights in my life,not that I started andthere is one simple street fighting move that always gets me.The simple two arm push on the shoulders.Usually this happens when I am telling the person fighting is imature and I see it from a mile away and it always gets me.Does anyone have any tips?

2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Sure. I try to keep my hands up and open as I speak, in essence, keeping my guard up without appearing aggressive. If the push comes, attempt to split his hands with yours, coming up the middle with a headbutt to the face. His momentum will bring him right into it.

3. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

or you could just stand there. it doesnt hurt. i dont know, never tried it, but if you turned between the hands and jammed your shoulder into his armpit with a hip to the groin and a side headbutt to the nose, and then used the arm under his arm to do a shoulderlock/hipthrow, i think that would work pretty well. ill have to try it.

4. Chris_sirhC

Chris_sirhC 6th Kyu, Yoshinkan Aikido

Now as much as I know the tenets of aikido preach pasisicm... were I need to have to use it, someone coming at me in just such a way would be opertune *thinks of the possibilities*

5. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Select clip 5 from Shioda sensei

http://www.geocities.com/yoarosental/Shioda1.html

I have no clue how he does it but looks pretty cool to me.

Or if you havent practiced aikido dedicatedly for about 35 years then try side stepping and throwing the guy maybe with something simple like a hip toss.

To be honest if you are describing simply having someone try to push you over I dont see what your problem is, I find that a strong, commited push unbalances the attacker a lot and is slower than a punch so in fact givs you far more options to deal with it. Maybe I am wrong, tell me if you didnt mean what the guy in the video clip tries to do to Shioda Sensei.

6. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

The key is understanding the purpose of the push. In many cases it is a further form of gesturing, in this case to prove strength, to humilate you, to provoke you. Face it if you really wanted to attack someone would you push them or punch them? I believe the push is a gesture of someone who zre able to fight (they've become physical) but for some reason don't really want to.

The added advantage of the push is that creates a little distance between you and your attacker, which can, when combined with the right cues, trigger an adrenal dump.

The aikido video looks like he plants himself so that he is unmoveable, bit like pushing a tree or a wall hard. I would imagine that it would take several years to be able to do this.

7. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Generally we're taught to either to just be light on our feet so when we get pushed we just move back, but it has no effect on our balance. Or, we are taught to split the hands and bring them around down to waist height and then to use that momentum to go into a throw (or many other possible techniques that can be used when in control of their arms)

8. aikinoob

aikinoob noobism is curable

standing scarf choke. good night.

9. OBCT

OBCT New Member

judo.
    tomi nagi.
    self sacrificing throw.

as the guy pushes you, grab lapels, shirt front, or improvise wherever you can grab, lift strongest foot up to around his belly as you fall back, remember to keep knee slightly bent. keep head up, so as not to crack it on the ground, as you contact the ground and the guy starts to fall aswell, push out with the foot, he'll go over, keep one hand on, as you use a little of his momentum to help you up a little, turn onto front, slide one leg around, over chest, straddle. GaP

JJ and judo self sacrifice moves work well for stuff like that.

10. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

yeah. that last one isgood. also, you can step back to make him reach, and this will almost always unbalance him, if he is unskilled enough to push you in the first place. you can then grab him and cause the destruction of your choice.

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

ugh. bad advice man, I would -never- use a sacrifice throw in a real fight.if you mess it up (which is pretty likely, especially if they have a flimsy shirt) you end up on the ground with them standing over you. also unless you are fighting in a field or a garden or something, throwing yourself onto the ground is a bad idea. and the foot is in the groin not the belly.

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Jab - cross!

13. OBCT

OBCT New Member

If the shirt starts to rip, you place the lifted foot back on the ground, so as not to fall, or use a push kick to push them back/you away.
    Mostly if someone pushes you and you rip their shirt then kick them away, they'll back off.
    Myself i'd put my foot in the belly, larger area, easier to catch, nearer centre of gravity.
    Sacrificial throws are very much underestimated, they're certainly not often expected.
    Also if the person is starting a streetfight, chances are, they don't study MA, perhaps taking them to the ground, even if they are on top, wiouldn't be the worst of options, risky yes, but i reckon i could escape a non MA guy, and easily get on top.
    Only trouble i can see with the whole thing is, if you take it to the ground, you're forgetting about his mates, stood their kicking you're ribs in, which is a criticism you forgot to mention.

14. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

that particular throw is just a precision back roll. if the shirt rips, you keep going and land on your feet(unless he comes down on you, then youll just have to go from there)

also, if you roll right, you will not hurt yourself on flat land. doing a back roll down concrete stairs wouldnt hurt all that much, as long as you dont get your neck caught or anything like that. cuts and curbs are really the only environmental dangers there.

hmm, i would prefer a good ball of the foot into the bladder. easy to hit, and hurts more than the stomach. although both of the others are good.

finally, if you are rolling on sand, loose dirt, gravel, etc., you can get a good handful of it with a back roll, and do some blinding.

15. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Why not just slam the poor with a kick to the inside of the knees and then punch him in the face?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2004
  16. OBCT

OBCT New Member

We have a lovely english MA technique called the 'Jordie kiss' works aswell, just i like sacrificing throws, thats what seems to come naturally to me. Guess i should do go back to judo, did it when i was a kid, most the class were a few years older than me, so sacrificing throws, or drop knee throws, down into kesa/kata gatame, were my only real options, and hold on till i heard "matte". it obviously left a big impression.

17. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Geordie kiss
    Glasgow kiss
    Liverpool kiss
    blah blah "insert region that wants to sound hard" kiss

Why does every region in the UK seem to think it invented the headbutt? :rolleyes:

18. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

You could do a push kick or a front snap kick to the midsection but when you get pushed you should be in a fighting stance I mean foot stance wise if your orthodox or southpaw but just be ready.

19. Ling Kuo

Ling Kuo New Member

Yes thats what I would do. If the headbutt got him mad though I would have to quickly pivot backwards and be ready to hit him with a technique of my choice.:cool:

20. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Why not just kiss him for real and see what happens!!! I bet you get a seconds distraction in order to leg it, or use whatever technique you wanna use, if he smiles you have the beginnings of a new and beautiful friendship!!

And this isnt as sarcastic as it sounds, if you want a distraction to put them off then try it!! or the old ask an obvious question one.