'Essential batto & Kenjutsu: Killing Arts Of the Japanese Sword'

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Dead_pool, Oct 21, 2012.

1. rottunpunk

rottunpunk Valued Member

I am glad to hear you both had a productive meeting
    Heres hoping for more in the future

All credit to Taran for going down this route
    As you say, he may loose some students, but it is a good chance to seperate any chaff from the wheat

2. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Hey, me and Taran had words ages ago and I was my usual self with him back then. I meant to apologise about that last night but I forgot! :D

I'll pick you up on one point, Dave - I wouldn't use the term 'koryu snob'. Yeah, we can get elitist at times, but koryu is open to everyone and it ain't like we're trying to keep it to ourselves. If you want to learn koryu, that's cool with us. More people to train with! ;-)

As for Taran, I hope that last night was productive - it was a pleasure to talk shop with him.

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Are you including your own posts?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Indeed, it does show some promise.

If a person is lied to and keeps perpetuating a lie, even though it was his sensei who was lying, why wasn't there any research done? We're all adults here with (supposedly) free minds.

I was a victim of fraudulent martial arts instruction in my youth (peed away a lot of money learning too!).
    You know what I did about it, when things started to become doubtful?

I read and researched and asked questions - You know, the process of elimination.

In the end I decided the only way I was going to learn koryu was to go and live in Japan. If you can't do that, you go to the next best source for koryu, or something related until you find what you are looking for.

When you take money from others claiming to teach something you're not really trained in, expect some barracking for it.

Aye, good one Scott.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I agree completely Steve. I was in the exact same boat once. All it takes is a little research, a little push to expand your knowledge, and it becomes easy to recognize that what you're doing is seriously lacking in light of what others are doing. Then you sit down and decide what you're going to do about it.

While I admire the effort that Scott is making to enlighten the fellow, the fact that so much effort has to be made dictates the eventual outcome, in my opinion.

I hope for the best regardless.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

The other thread about trueswords.com reminded me of this one.

Did the meet-up happen yet?

Is he still teaching? Is he still selling that book?

7. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I met with Taran some time ago. I believe a lot of changes have been put in place, and we discussed the possibility of directing him at a formal JSA ryuha.

I will chase him up sometime next week.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award