'Essential batto & Kenjutsu: Killing Arts Of the Japanese Sword'

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Dead_pool, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I hate you....

:cry:

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Must be legit.

He got a real mean sword face!

4. beer_belly

beer_belly Valued Member

My vote goes to video 3, Tekubi-Giri (wrist cut) - but its a close run thing.....

5. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Now, was that because of the combatively useless actions, the ineffective "cut", or the fact that he's missing when he tries to grip the tsuka, and, as a result, is holding the blade and wrapping his hand around it? Damn fool...

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I worry about things like that immensely.
    For one he needs to be clueless enough to think that grabbing the "blade" in that way is OK. Or clueless enough to not notice that's what he's doing.
    But also upon doing so is also clueless enough to film it and put it on youtube.
    He didn't think "I'll film that again because I messed that up and that's going to make me look silly".
    He's doubling up the cluelessness. And that's worrying in someone teaching how to swing sharp metal about IMHO.
    I mean I've never swung a sword in my life and yet even I can see the close up didn't match the real time action.
    So why didn't the guy in the video?

7. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

It is interesting what people will post.

I found this one odd someone punching him while he is holding a sai and squared off to his opponent

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1iFruNd8Y&feature=channel&list=UL"]Saijutsu Kotegaeshi (Wrist/Forearm Return) - YouTube[/ame]

and this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSfkA9VyqHM&feature=channel&list=UL"]Kamajutsu: Futobara-Giri No Kubigiri (Belly/Flank Cut into Decapitation) - YouTube[/ame]

maybe I'm missing something

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That second video, with the kama, seems especially flawed (though really ALL of it is deeply flawed). With that kind of hooked blade, flowing through that rib shot seems impossible. If it actually hit the guy, it would need to go back the same way it came. The only possible rationalization for that sequence would be if he missed the rib shot entirely.

More show than substance. I think that's a pretty common theme with weapons work.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

certainly does a sweet sword twirl when he's scabbarding his tool.

10. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Not usually no ... definitely no.

Gotta admit it is somewhat effective since their horrible videos are killing me! :)

11. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

"Junsei Ryu Hoshin Jutsu is structured as closely as possible to the style of a traditional Japanese Ryu (martial arts school). Many of our teachings are fusions of traditional application and the hidden combative techniques developed by both the late Brian Wrightson Kancho and his Son and personal student of some 31 years Ash McKee Sensei. Brian Wrightson originally founded the of Hankyo Kempo Ju Jitsu system between 1973 & 1975 a legacy which McKee Sensei continues until this day.

Junsei Ryu has always aimedto bring back the tradition of combative methodology and honour to modern Jujutsu, which has been lost to the application of sport and showmanship. Originally founded by Ash McKee Sensei the Junsei Ryu is now under the guidance of the most senior student of McKee sensei; Taran McCarnun. It should be stated however that McKee Sensei remains the organisations Founder, Patron and most Senior Instructor.

Taran McCarnun was chosen for this position of responsibility after he demonstrated over two decades of trust, loyalty and personal development. This has in turn has allowed McKee Sensei the required time needed to concentrate on developing the technical aspects of the numerous branches of the Junsei Ryu family, as always applying a non-political environment with traditional Japanese cultural and religious teachings at its core."

Best Wishes,

Bruce

12. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Religious teachings. Ew.

13. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

This entire blurb from the boys over at "Junsei Ryu" is nothing but garbage, frankly. Rather than actually train in Japanese arts, they are creating something they feel is "structured as closely as possible to the style of a traditional Japanese Ryu"... are you kidding?? There are these things around, people train in them, called "traditional Japanese Ryu"... somewhat closer than the mess of confused ideas, poorly understood principles, terrible mechanics, combatively inane techniques, and a complete lack of all the essential aspects of actual Japanese martial arts, traditional or not.

Really, all it does is confirm that these guys are thoroughly clueless and should be pitied for the rank delusions they share in believing that anything they do even remotely resembles anything to do with Japanese martial arts.

14. pgsmith

But then the people in charge would have to stand on the other side of the room. :)

15. pgsmith

You got a problem with Japanese religious teachings Scott? I can vividly remember one trip to Japan where that night I prayed at the porcelain altar. The next day, I prayed to various gods to help me survive through the day. :)

16. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

From Dokkodo:

"Respect Buddha and the gods without becoming reliant upon them."

17. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

IIRC I think I partcipated in that same ritual many years ago. I seem to remember my ritual including an offering made to that porcelin god....seems to me it was a very personal offering of food and drink but the memories are somewhat foggy. :)

Best Wishes,

Bruce

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Why is it that people that are misguided about a subject end up writing books or producing videos about it?
    I've a book by Gordon Warner and Donn Draeger called "Japanese Swordsmanship: Technique And Practice".
    It seems worlds apart from these guys. The techniques seem fairly simple and direct. No flash at all.
    I've no idea really how accurate or authentic the sword techniques are (although Draeger knows his stuff of course) but the whole feel is different from one to the other and that would seem to indicate where the real info is.

19. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Yup! Flash is the first warning sign.

So many bad ma vids on youtube that appear fake or creations of somebody with little or no real training, have attempts at being flashy.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In the draeger book the techniques basically seem to boil down to "draw your sword, hit the bloke in front of you, stab the bloke behind you and then finish off the first chap, chiburi, resheath".
    There's maybe the odd bit of hitting with the hilt as an opener as you draw but no real twirling or frippery (yes frippery).