Essence of Evolution

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by nzric, Dec 15, 2003.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

2. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I've watched all the clips and like the guys style; I'd happily train under him. I like the comittment to techniques and applications rather than a system only. When looking at his form work I can see clear aspects of Bagua, Hsing I and Taiji.

3. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I've met and trained with Master Su. We hosted him here in Rochester NY in November. In fact he's taken my internal MA teacher, Sifu Bud Gardner, as a personal student (so we're now teaching Essense of Evolution in our school).

Master Su does a great job of shifting between Ba Gua, Tai Chi and Hsing Yi. And his outlook is extremely pragmatic, strategic and practical. What's great about the EOE system is it's concepts layered on top of existing systems and techniques. So it doesn't negate any existing techinques (in fact I think it only enhances them).

There is an EOE group on Yahoo Groups that is run directly by Master Su through one of his students. If you have questions about the system you can ask them there and get direct answers from Master Su: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eoemartialarts/

Hope this helps,

- Matt

4. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Thanks Matt,

So many teachers such little time. Sadly I'm on the wrong end of the planet to get access to the man. I like what I see nevertheless.

Best, Syd

5. Matt_Bernius

Tell me about it Syd. But I feel the same way about Erle. I've trained under one of his students and the more I learn the more I wish I could meet Erle in person.

Master Su is really starting to come "out from te underground." His material is good and his reputation as an instructor/seminar person is growing. I think he'll be making a stop down under sooner or later.

Would love to see what would happen if he and Erle got together.

- Matt

6. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Just looking at it i think he is really good.

Can i ask are alot of these aplications shown in most IMA classes for the fomrs which they belong to (or just tehcniques)Just curious.

I find this very intersting ecasue peple have said to me "CMA and JMA don't mix tehy're to different. But what he did there looked very like CMA and JJ to me. ( I'm not saying he's trained in JMA just that it reasures me that there are more similarites than differences.)

7. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I would like to say that what I saw there was mostly Chinese Internal Martial Arts. Even the throws and takedowns were applications from Taiji or Baguazhang or even Shoui Jiao (Chinese fast wrestling). The one constant in Master Su's work that was easily recognisable, and a dead giveaway in terms of where his real influence lies, was that it remained circular... this is classic Chinese Internal Martial Arts.

He also states in his biography at the website that the majority of his style leans towards CMA... more specifically he is working with internal principles. This is excellent, because I am very much in the throws of synergizing at the moment myself and what I see here shows intelligence.

8. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I wasn'tdisputing that what he does is CMA. I was just pointing out that there are more similarites than differences between the two.

And most JJ tehcniques involve circular motion, similar to CMA (of course it was influenced by CMA)

any way. Are these sort of aplication shown in most good IMA classes or not?

9. Matt_Bernius

Actually the focus is more specfic than circular. Master Su focus is spiral based (subtle but imporant difference). The first part of the seminar was focused on the importance of spiraling energy.

As far as JJ being influenced by CMA. That's a little tougher to prove. True JJ is older than Karate and developed on Main Land Japan. I'm not saying that there wasn't some type of cross pollenation, I just don't think it's as easy to trace as it is in the case of Karate.

- Matt

10. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Yeh.

Some forms of JJ are over 3,000 years old APPARENTLY.

It os not as obious as karate but if you look at what is practised , largely it is very similar to chi na.

There are historical accounts of JJ being influenced by CMA. (where sokklab when u need him). And with japanese spciety importing alot of different things form china it seems logiacl that MA would have followed.

And i ask again.Are these sort of aplication shown in most good IMA classes or not?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  11. Matt_Bernius

Hmm I'll have to get after sokklab to learn a bit more about those refs.

Yes. Anyone who is teaching the martial aspects of these arts should cover all of this info. However, sadly it can be tough to find someone who is qualfied to teach the martial side. But the great part is that it's getting easier with each passing year.

- Matt

12. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Thanks alot matt.

I'd like to point out b4 sokklab does. These references are not to JMA being influenced by CMA. BUT to CMA masters going to china and apparently teaching.

13. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Hey Sub,

Didn't mean to seem like I was disputing anything you said my friend. I was actually just pointing a few things out from my own observations. I would agree at the higher levels of most Martial Arts we begin to see more similarities then not.

In answer to your question... yes, these applications should be shown and usually are shown in any good internal martial arts school.

Best, Syd