Er... antagonists!?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mr Punch, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Assuming it's good idea to work the opposing muscles in supersets, what are good opposing bodyweight exercises to:

1) push-ups
    2) squats
    3) crunches
    4) pull-ups...

and while we're at it, tho they aren't BW exes:

5) overhead press
    6) bench
    7) deads...

Cheers! :)

2. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Push ups would be fairly well balanced out with Chin ups done in superset I should think, one working chest and triceps and the other working back and biceps...

Squats don't really have a "counter" exercise, but it may be good to try some lunges with those if you're strictly not using more than bodyweight, although not opposing, it works your thighs in a different way and may be okay..Or perhaps something like good-mornings, with focus on the hamstrings, rather than the lower back to pull you up to standing...If you're able to use weights, then a leg curl or a variation on that would be good..
    Crunches may be countered fairly well with lower back extensions...Or twists to work the side effectively as well..

As for the others you mention, overhead press is shoulders and triceps, so the counter would be back again, and biceps...Although you could try pullovers for a stretch or pulldowns to work the outer lats..(Or chins again).
    Bench press is another compound movement, but again, since it's a chest and triceps movement, I'd suggest rows, either machine pulley rows, or bent over rows with a barbell or dumbell..Same motion, but going the other way..

Lastly, the deadlift, which is such a compound movement it would be impossible to find something that opposed it directly..There isn't much that the deadlift doesn't hit...So an "opposing" exercise isn't really available I think..Although the legs and back get a large part of the movement, it's a total body builder, and can't really be countered like isolation movements..

I reckon..Deadlifts and stretches?

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Basically - any pull exercise supersetted with any push exercise will do the trick.

As far as antagonist muscles for leg lifts . . . . ????

Maybe a DL and then a crunch . . . a DL and then a hamstring curl or a GHR??

I do my supersets like this:

Push
    Pull
    Leg
    Abs

4. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

I agree with Yohan, you want a push/pull (or the reverse) set for hitting antagonist muscle groups.

With your list I'd suggest:

1. Push Ups -> pullups (ie. underhand grips) or inverted rows (lying on your back and pulling your body up using a bar/rope) or rope climbing.
    2. Squats -> isometric hamstring curls or hamstring slide (lie on your back and pull yourself forward with your heels using only the contraction of your hamstrings) or inverted hamstring curls if you have some anti-grav boots.
    3. Crunches -> Supermans or roman chair extensions or bridges (neck or hand).

Pull ups are covered above. I also think that overhead presses are countered with chinups/pullups and deads (deadlifts?) with the hamstring work.

5. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

hey,
    what is a 'super set'
    thanks

6. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

A "Superset" is a combination of two or more exercises done one after the other to work the body harder than doing one simple exercise...Alternating between two exercises works your heart better as well as your muscles, and depending on the speed you do the set at can be very efficient for burning more calories than just one set..

For instance; An arm superset could be 1) Triceps pushdowns.
    Followed by 2) Biceps Barbell Curls.

One set of each for as many sets and reps as you choose basically..

Supersets are a great way to modify and intensify your workouts if they become rather stale..A great changeup..

Regards.

7. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

Thanks fifth chamber for your reply.
    I really appreciate it :)