Entering BOA tournament

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cannonballken, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Cannonballken

Cannonballken New Member

Im entering the battle of atlanta tournament and although its jus a point tournment I hope ..Would like to have advice on how to
    !) gain 10 pounds before the last week of september ..all muscle though...by then atleast ...
    !) how to do this without wieghts or fake teresterone supplements ...vitamins and minerals...etc are OK

2. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

hmmm, gain 10 pounds in muscles, with out the use of weights or supplements??? sheesh, this is a tough one, and by the end of september??? Hmmmm, lots of pushups, pullups,situps, find a stadium and run up and down the stairs, step at a time, then skipping a step, then jumping up, mountain biking does loads for your legs, and the list can go on....the point is to keep training in one form or another

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i hear prayer can help when you need a miracle

4. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but your in fantasy land if you think you can achieve 10lbs of pure muscle in 2 months without weight training

5. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Sorry man, thats quite the gain.

Ill say right now tho, it IS possible... ...with freeweights.

6. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

I think 10lbs of lean muscle is probably impossible in 2 months anyway even for a beginner.

7. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I did it :D

I've gained ~20 pounds in just over 3 months only about a pound is fat, barely noticeable at all.

...and beginners gain faster.

8. Cannonballken

Cannonballken New Member

Ok how about 5 pounds

how about five pounds
    ans still now weights

9. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

10. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

20lbs of pure muscle in 3 months is unlikely you sure its not mostly water?

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

oh for the love of god nforce can we NOT derail YET ANOTHER thread? if you have to debate this for the millionth time go somewhere else and do it.

You might gain 5 pounds just by eating well and doing a lot of exercise, but I too would like to know why you are so dead set against weights?

12. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Yup.

Ive allways been an advocate of drinking lots and lots of water, so naturally my muscles have allways been well hydrated. So anything I gained would be the same way. Its obvious the muscle I gained has water in it, but no more than before.

When I started using creatine, I decided to load, because I wanted the cell volumeizing effects, but I got nothing.

13. Cannonballken

Cannonballken New Member

chea

um wha the heck are u talking about I said 5 pounds man ....
    anyway um..no weights because I jus got though a tough all out trainin gsession in atlanta and "i wouldnt be smart to life wieghts..even if I could at this point the tournament is to soon ...jus some body weight exerizes

14. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Anything that will add muscle to your frame is gonna be equally taxing as weights, bodyweight or not.

If your concered about overtraining or whatever, ill tell you this:

the bodyweight exersises that enable you to grow are just as stressful as freeweights.

15. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Ikken what the hell are you talking about, I just asked a question, 20lbs in 3 months is very good, so props to Prophet, please if you aint gonna do nothing but moan and bring nothing productive to the convo, shut up?

And to Canonball its unlikely that you will gain alot of muscle without lifting weights.

16. Maverick

Maverick New Member

10lbs in two months is very feasible. Especially if you already a heavy guy.

But yeah, you'll need weights. Otherwise you're wasting time.

17. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

1st, why do you want to gain 10 pounds of muscle?

It would be nearly impossible to gain that much muscle mass in two months with bodyweight exercises unless you have an extremely crazy training (and eating) regimen. I don't see that happening.

If you are scared of weights draining you, just don't lift for a couple weeks before your tournament.

You probably aren't going to gain that much mass but you CAN gain a lot of strength in two months.

18. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

First, try to slow down to a warp factor 4, so more than half your words are spelled right. Thanks. ;)

Second, that second statement you made, "explaining" why you don't want to use weights (from what I can make of it, anyway) is irrational. Wander around any of the numerous other threads here, and you'll see why.

Third, I'd strongly advise against gaining that much weight, in that period of time, unless you're specifically trying to reach a new weight class, in which case, it's still fairly short notice. I'd much rather see you adopt a full body routine (which incorporates free weights) focused on building strength and speed, while maintaining your technical practice.

As the event draws nearer, increase the bag and pad work, along with more sparring (under controlled conditions), and gradually reduce the resistance training so that the last week before the event, there's no weight-training, maybe 1 or 2 sessions of technical work, and you're good to go.

19. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

You're gonna have to eat to gain; generally the weight benefits of muscle gain do not happen for the first 8-12 weeks, the changes are neural in nature at first. Trainees make other changes, like diet and adding cardio, to make body composition changes rather than the changes being resistance training related.

By weight training, you would also increase your lactate threshold and time to exhaustion wouldn't become so fatigued as easily which is a wonderful thing for high intensity competitions like sparring matches.

By weight training (or resistance training) you would train your body to engage more fast twitch fibers during events when you needed them.

Even functional gains need more skill work to make it applicable to the mat or cage or etc. Skill carryover is only as efficient as the skill is performed.

You would be better off fighting in the same weight catagory and increasing your explosive ability and strength-endurance.

I do suppose you could do weighted push ups, chins off branches, squats while holding something overhead. Some plyometrics and interval energy systems (cardio work) would be beneficial to you.

20. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

You can't have been around here very long - the answer is ALWAYS weight training! :D

If you want to hit the weights 3x a week, go for Westside for Skinny "people" here:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

Eat plenty and it will work like a charm.