English Longsword

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Louie, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Hi Mark,
    Looking at the vid, that looks like edge to edge contact to me so if your doing it like that, then to me, your doing what we're doing. I would put alittle more fighting spirit into it but hey that's me.

The Bear.

2. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

There is a bit of edge contact, but it's not very much. Like Stolen said, it's more edge "shoulder" contact. If he strikes first without stepping offline and you step offline with your zorn to counter him, there's even less edge contact.

Best regards,

-Mark

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Ha, is that like being a bit pregnant.

The Bear.

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Well, all I know is that my edge damage is next to nil, and the difference in edge damage between my Zorn counter and edge contact from bad technique is huge. Usually all I need is coarse sanding blocks to keep my Liechtenauer extra-smoove. :) I had to use a file for the first time in six months the other day. In earnest, even winding will damge your edge a bit if it's really sharp.

With regards to edge damage, the worst comes from a Krump that's thrown too late against an oberhau. Just brutal, since you end up krumping down on the short edge of your opponent rather than stifling the attack by striking the flat. Really sucky.

Best regards,

-Mark

5. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

It seems to me that we agree, it's all about definitions and agendas?

Some wants to make a point out of the fact that the re-enactmentfighting you see on viking-markets in scandinavia (where the standard is edge on edge parrying, where you never threathen the enemy, just engages his sword (like the panic absetsen-thing shown in german systems as the unskilled wielders parry) -is wrong.

To me it seems that mr. P.Bear have another agenda, wanting to make a point out of the fact that there is indeed edge on edge parrying, and that the "no edge"-people have gone to far.

I think we all can agree that there is not only edge on flat or flat on flat in HEMA, and there is very little shown in the manuals about straight on edge on edge parrying?

(How am I doing, can I attach this post in an apply for working as a mediator for UN in Sudan? :Angel: )

6. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Nah! but there's a lovely outpost in Afghanistan that would be delighted to have you....:rolleyes:

As to my short use of the longsword - In the heat of the moment I don't give a rat's a** whether it lands edge on or flat against my opponent's blade - just as long as one of them does!

As to sword edge damage I'd take a guess that our medieval ancestors probably loved the additional trauma & infection that a jagged, splintered blade left behind.

Close examination of the Highlander's broadsword on the right shows that it is serrated on both sides like a chain-saw

Louie

Attached Files:

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The strange thing is in our approach we have very little edge damage even with some edge on edge contact. Apart from our club hamwei swords that get chew up when you breath on them too heavily. We almost turned one into a corksrew doing winding.
    Personally I worry about good footwork, posture, technique and fighting spirit. Worrying about the edge of my sword is so far down the priority list it doesn't even come up in training. I think that's because we haven't taken a scholar's approach to training and have taken a fighter's approach and concentrating on solid martial principles rather than interpreting and re-interpreting the manuals.

The Bear.

8. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

Our weapons are good steel (apart from the hanweis!) but the worst damage I've found is oblique hits to the blade .. they tend to nick the edges up the worst.
    I can also confirm that bear is correct in saying we rarely consider edge contact ..... mostly we are fighting for our lives (and fingers) and the swords just doesn't get a look in!