Endurance running

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shortfuse, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

I used to use a machine to increase my endurance and it did for a while and then it just made me sweat, rarely any improvemet... if i were to run outside i would get dog tired after a block, and it felt like a chore so i decided to let the machine rust and start running outside.

i would run 5 days week about once or twice a day, and if i missed a day and had free time i would use the machine. i dont run so often to burn fat or incease endurance faster, mostly because its so fun, and fresh, and relaxing, and it feels geat and you see things and people and really get to think and go somewhere instead of sitting in smelly garage watching bugs die.

i saw a great increase in endurance after 2 weeks, and while outside i would run one mile and wak home another mile because its a distance i can run without getting sore the next day, now i run a little more than a mile for the sake of improvement but i want to increase my endurance faster without decreasing my frequency. how much should i increase the distance by and how often?

i dont think its over training because one mile is a distance i can do without getting sore at all the next day, yet it still gives me a bit of a workout and soery fun.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  2. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

If you want to improve ,only run every 2nd day.Endurance is about pushing through pain barriers and keep going.
    If you like running and are enjoying it dont deprive yourself of it just for results,here is a suggestion that allows running everyday and improved endurance

You say 5 days?Im assuming they are consecutive,eg mon-fri
    Day 1:endurance session(pushing yourself)
    Day 2:1 mile run,1mile walk back

[Continue cycle days 1-5

make sure to warm up before and do a post stretch after.
    If you have not recovered on day3,listen to your body and go for a mile instead,eventually it will build up.
    Every 2nd day isnt neccassary for endurance sessions,its just the max you can do without burning out,this varies from person2person.
    Have word with a fitness instructor in your area if possible.

What are your reasons for improving endurance?

EDIT: continue cycle days 1-5

3. seikido

seikido New Member

Two suggestions, because the answer is going to depend on your build, your heart rate when you're working out, etc. I'm not an expert, but I can tell you what works for me.
    The first is just to try jogging part of the way back (say, add 5 minutes a week).
    The second is, have you tried interval training at all? rather than just peacefully jogging, run flat out for 30 to 40 seconds (bring your heart rate up to about 80% of max), then slow down to a slow jog or walk for about 1.5 minutes (bring it back down to say 40-50%), then repeat this cycle. This worked well for me, for boosting both aerobic and anaerobic endurance. It takes about the same amount of time to complete your run, too.
    Recognize that if you're trying to improve your sparring endurance, jogging at a slow to middle pace is not going to do that for you, you will need to boost your anaerobic endurance and practice training at high heart rates.
    Happy running.

4. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

one reason is because i am also a runner sometimes and i enjoy it, and my endurance really can suck when it comes to sparring or doing martial art drills or movements for extended periods of times ( i dont know, 3 or 4 minutes)

i would do drills on the bag, but i havent decided if i wanted to buy it yet or buy other things but thats another story. if i had a bag what might really help my endurance for martial arts would be kicks and punches and drills but this will have to do.

if i were to do drills without any resistance, that can be a disaster, (always accidentally locking out my knees and elbows....slipping, tripping, ecetera...)
    so the next best thing is running. it helps so very much for so many reasons i cant begin to describe here. and i prefer to move and pivot and dodge rather than block allthough lately i have been getting rustly due to a decrease in my endurance :p

5. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i do sometimes jog the way back, but if im tired my feet cant really move straight and they trip over each other or i may run sideways into the road :p

when i used the machine i did interval training and i did see improvements, but its really boring no to run on the machine..when i began running outside the workout was so good that i thought, why try something advanced when the basic is working fine.. ill save interval for when i hit a plateau or need greater improvement( but then again i have hit the latter :p )

when i did interval it was on a thirty minute session 5 minutes at 50 or 60% and 5 mintues of 80- 90 %

and whats anaerobic? i think it has something to do with no oxygen? im not so sure and i didnt know it was as important. :confused:

6. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

For sparring endurance,anything explosive such as bag work.
    Aerobic=using oxygen(easy jogging)
    Anaerobic=without oxygen(eg sprint)

Bag work would be perfect,fitness wise,if you can build up to 5 mins on the bag at a time with one minute breaks,you will have no prob with 3 min rounds or whatever the case may be.
    Seikido,you made a good suggestion of intervals.
    Start off 2 mins slow jog ,30 secs explosive run and repeat.
    The 2mins jog is an active recovery and as your fitness etc builds up this will drop to 30 secs(very fit)
    Never drop your heart rate too much too soon,when finishing explosive run always bring it to a jog first and if you need to then walk

By the way man,what style are you?

7. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

temporarily goju ryu for a few months as of tuesday
    then eagle claw
    and then choy lay fut

8. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

The way I used to do it is running untill I started to get a bit dizzy, weird body feelings etc, then running a half a mile or full mile more on top of that. I was later told this was unhealthy/unecessary strain and I agree in some part but it sure worked.

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi,

First of all, running one mile or even one and a half miles is not going to increase your endurance.

You need to be running for 30+ minutes as a minimum.

You don't need to do it every day, 3 times a week is quite sufficient.

If you are only running one mile at the moment, then you need to build it up slowly. Let's say you are running for 10 minutes at the moment, then add 5 minutes to your runs at the start of every week. If you didn't manage 3 runs the week before, then don't increase the length of runs. If you don't feel up to it, then don't increase the length of runs - It is not a race. DO NOT go out and start running for 30+ minutes straight away.

If you have to walk in parts, then walk, but try not to stop.

You should be capable of building up to 30+ minutes afer 2 or 3 months. If you are still walking some of the way by then, it is still ok. Over time the walking bits will become jogging bits and eventually running bits.

You also need to vary the speed durring your runs, fast & slow parts (Fartlek) and intervals. Try some hill work as well. Vary the route.

If you have time, (maybe at weekend), try a longer run 45+ or even 1 hour. When you get to this point, you will have increased your endurance. ALWAYS do this longer run at a reduced and steady pace.

As for injuries and sore muscles - MAP has many threads on the subject. :eek:

Maybe update up periodically with your progress.

Good Luck and Happy Running.

Cheers. :)

10. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

it took me 25-30 minutes, i run very slowly at first and towards the end i run fast, when i used to run long distances i learned there's no rush so i ran at my own comfortable pace which was very slow for the first quarter (like for every 3 feet there would be 4 steps).i run a mile because; its a mile like a unit of measure :p. i figured that if it takes me 7 or 15 minutes to run a mile that cant be endurance... but thanks to my lack of cardiovascular efficiancy i can make one mile last 30 min. easy :D ,

i dont really do it everyday for sufficiancy, but because i like it

i never measured by time on the road but rather by distance, when i run twice a day its because my cousin is on his run.. i use his system and its to run for 25 min and sprint the last 5 min. i'll try it

two thins i hate when running is turns and stopping and starting again soon after,i wont need to stop, i can do whatever you ak me to do, but ill try the time thing now, i have to run after i finish his post anyway

11. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

I am a Cross Country runner, and we have a really tough program that will make you really good at long distance, but it will take a lot of work and make you very sore while you progress. Would you like me to post that, or do you want something a bit easier?

12. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

Okay i did the 45 minutes. it was a little on the difficult side, and i found out my mile lasts about 13 min :p ( my sense of time is messed up). i went to the library, then to the supermarket, then a kung fu dojo, then a burgur king, and finnaly i was two blocks away from my cousins house when time ran out and i walked home. it was great, i got to go to many more places and see much more and still get a great workout!

the last five minutes however began to get uncomfortable because first the cramps came, then i got gas, then i had to use the bathroom and "drop off the kids", and thats the time i entered the zone of the viscous dogs and thier owners who dont care who they bite.

i will integrate intervals in when i get more used to this because it is a long time of running, i ran the same pace the whole time and didnt sweat as much because it was sun down.

will this 45 minute 3-5 days a week thing work now that its over 3 times as long? Will i burn muscle?

ah yes i would like to know both! but i dont like the soreness part, soreness halts training but its all the for the best, but you have to keep in mind that i am a martial artist first and a runner second. this just happens to be the most important part of my training for the next few months

13. Bruce_Wee

Bruce_Wee New Member

i never run more than 40 minutes :p

14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I know I said that you should take it easy. But .......

Anyway, it sounds like you need to build up your basic speed. 13 minute miles aren't going to help your endurance.

For now, forget the long runs, you need to run shorter runs, but faster.

Start with 100m sprints.

a. Do leg stretches
    b. Jog to a local Park
    c. Do more leg stretches
    c. Do 10 x 100m fast (not as fast as you can!).You need to concentrate on 'form'. Lift your knees up and 'pump' your arms. Walk or slow jog back.
    d. Jog home.
    e. Do leg stetches.

Even Marathon runners incorporate Speed work into their training schedule.

Once you have a little more basic speed, then do the build up thing that I mentioned above. Even then, don't forget about this 'speed' training and still try to aim for one speed session per week and well as the longer ones.

Cheers.

15. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

ok but how would speed rus help anything?
    and how long is a meter? how long is a 100 meters?

i am fast but i ould run out of breath before i could to beat the other person :p
    Endurance training always helped my speed, i never did any training to help me run faster, i just did long distance runs and i became faster. i i could run 10 miles at a steady pace then of course i can run one mile at a fast steady pace

16. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

if you hate running...try jump roping...
    10 minutes of jump roping is equal to 30 mins
    of jogging....

17. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

oh i ove running, i hate jump roping for that long :p

18. Mawi

Mawi Banned Banned

one of the best ways to run is stop do kicking and punching, your moves what ever they mybe. It takes a lot more enrgy to kick punch and run, instead of just runing. For me at least i find this way more challageing. lets say you are doing a mile slow or what ever, do like 200 punchs and 100 to 150 kicks on both sides. You can get better and build up more kicks or punchs. Thou i don't recomend you runing around the park kicking and punching.(things can get a little out of hand :p ) When i was in TKD they used to have this drill, you run to on spot with your toes do like 100 round house kicks on a thai pad or (i don't now what to call it) then go to the next place and do 50 ax kicks, then go to the next spot and jump as high as possable, then go to the next spot do like 50 punchs and so on... It depends on the day but doing moves while runing is very hard comapred to just running. I no longer even sweet much becuse of that training i had over a long time. (Now i get get leg kicked by guys :cry: (its fun thou, i love muay thai :D )

19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

It would help you to beat 13 minute per mile pace.
    Ask your Teacher.

No, no, no. You missed my point. Marathon runners are not fast because they do a lot of marathons. Sprinters are not fast because they do a lot of 100 metres.

I am really really sorry that I can't help you any further.

Over and out!

20. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Run 2.5 Miles as your marker. your mark time for that should be around 20 mins. thats an 8 min mile pace. if you can get your time down to 15 mins that is doing good for a not competing runner. If your only running a mile the 2.5 mile mark maybe harder to maintain your original pace. but 2.5 seems to be a good distance especially if your running two times a day. Run it three times a week.