Endurance and stamina training ideas

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by StingKing, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StingKing

StingKing Valued Member

Any ideas on stamina and endurance training we can stick with? The boot camp sort of trainings are good but they are only designed to bring us up fast then there's no regime to keep those extras we've worked for.

Using what we already have and what we can do daily using common things and environment we have.

I know that techniques helps a lot but I am after ideas for improving / maxing it out and keep it. Can we have some ideas please?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. StingKing

StingKing Valued Member

Forgot to add, without adding so much muscles. I want to keep my agility :)

4. seattletcj

seattletcj Valued Member

LOL. Wow. This nonsense again.

Don't worry. You'll be able to keep your feminine physique and still do endurance training.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Whether or not you achieve hypertrophy is largely based on whether you have a calorie surplus or not. It's quite simple actually:

Don't want to put on weight, don't eat more then you expend. Getting on a good strength training program, such as crossfit will actually help to improve your agility.

6. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

You've worked for? Anyone who has great stamina and endurance now doesn't need advice from a board.

Since you don't, let me recommend: running and swimming. And BJJ classes. Rolling is great for stamina and endurance.

Practice more.

-Daniel

7. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Building overly large muscles with typical athletic workouts would typically not happen, you are not going to become Mr. Universe to where your flexibility is gone because your massive muscles get in the way. Think of a gymnast at the Olympics or wrestlers. You can be strong and very flexible at the same time. You won't feel the "bulk" it might actually help a lot of peoples kamae.

8. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

This is the typical excuse weaklings use to explain why they can't bench more than 75 pounds.

9. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Without any equipment - long distance runs, HIIT (hill sprints are great). I find a lot of people who 'say' they do HIIT are not going hard enough. Lying start sprints, pyramid runs, shuttle runs, bounding, the list is endless. Its up to you how long you can handle training in order to increase your cardio endurance.

Pretty much what everyone says...Crossfit, weights (full body exercises) etc.

And that BS about 'agility'. I'm a girl and I've been weight training for a year, added plyometric circuits and i'm faster, more agile, stronger and have better endurance for MA than I ever had when I was just a long distance runner cranking out 50 miles a week.

As Yohan said, diet is just as important when it comes to building muscle. You probably aren't even getting enough calories to worry about 'bulking' up.

StingKing - what's your age, height and weight and current training and diet like right now?

10. Dean Whittle

Dean Whittle Valued Member

As someone who started CrossFit (www.crossfit.com) training a few weeks ago I can thoroughly recommend it for the goals you outlined.

With respect

11. shadow_ronin

shadow_ronin Banned Banned

You need to remember that you can't have everything.

Marathon runners have incredible endurance but their "build" is different from say a Judoka.

The body has very many muscle groups and you need to build the right muscles for the right job. For instance a body builder will never be able to run a marathon because he can't store enough energy to power all his muscles but a marathon runner will never be able to lift heavy weights for extended periods of time because his muscle build is centered around running/jogging.

So first ask yourself, what do you need your muscles to do for you?

If you want to stay healthy and active do swimming or walking.

If you want to compete in combat sports, do combat sports.

If you want to build muscle for no reason and for no particular use do body building.

Also 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction', this means that any exercise has a negative reaction on your body as well. Running or Jogging damages your leg joints and Judo and BJJ damages many of the bodies joints and also weakens and in some cases tears tendons (this happens in many physically demanding sports). It's a trade off.

The most important rule is that you need to be able to keep a regime going everyday. A 3 hour work out everyday is too much for a non-athlete and isn't sustainable for a normal person. 2 hour swimming session twice a week, 30min workout everyday or a walk around the block with your dog is quite sustainable.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Sort of right but most people who do combat sports also do weights, swim and do lots of cardio too. The knee problem in Judo is mostly to do with poor ukemi, and unless it gets ripped off is non existant in BJJ. Just exercise whatever floats your boat, its all good, just do lots when you can, and less when your busy/sick. Oh and dont forget Pilates or Yoga there both awesome workouts.

13. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

Franco Columbo was barely 5'5" yet he could jump and dunk a handball on a regulation basketball goal and he could drive a golfball well over 300 yards.
    Adrian Peterson credits his new body building regimen for his explosive agility, power, and stamina.

I get so annoyed at hearing people say that having muscles will hinder flexibility and agility. Who has more agility a marathoner or a sprinter? Marathoners look like Ethiopians, actually some of them are, and sprinters look like middleweight boxers.

14. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

As long as you've got the stamina to make it to your ninjutsu classes that's a start! :D

PS anyone work out much on Wavemaster type equipment? I'm thinking of getting one.

15. seattletcj

seattletcj Valued Member

I've got a wavemaster and a heavybag.
    I hardly touch the wavemaster.

The mobility is nice, but if you are worried about space you can get heavy bags in smaller sizes.

If you are not able to hang a heavy bag though...then sure a wavemaster is better then nothing.

my 2 cents.

16. CandyCaneShinai

CandyCaneShinai Valued Member

TOKYO - Reigning world and Olympic women's 48-kilogram class champion Ryoko Tani will miss this weekend's Kano Cup international judo meet because of injury, the All Japan Judo Federation said Tuesday.

Tani, who marked her return to international competition by capturing her seventh world title in Brazil in September, pulled out of the Dec. 7-9 meet at Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium with damaged ligaments in her right knee.

17. Axelton

Axelton Valued Member

Looking like a 14 year old doesnt help your agility, I know thats probably a very unfortunate thing for you to hear. :rolleyes:

18. seattletcj

seattletcj Valued Member

Ya, check out these muscle bound meat heads.
    No agility whatsoever.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TtfuNo577c&feature=related"]Granby School of Wrestling Technique Series #2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-3tU36t3A&feature=related"]ADCC Highlight - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIUWH-tuGGk[/ame]

;)

19. seattletcj

seattletcj Valued Member

And.....?

I see the same injury in people who ski, jog, hike, play soccer, tennis etc.

Strength training reduces injuries.

I hear knitting is fairly safe. :D

20. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

Does this mean that people in the Bujinkan never get injured? Off the top I can think of some serious injuries among the Japanese shihan. One of them that lead to bitter resentments that has lasted for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.