Encouragement to me, and other dissabled people!

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Joshua Powell, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Joshua Powell

Joshua Powell A white knight

I was born with the mental dissability called Cerebral palsy...I now have my second degree black belt in a martial art called Kuk Sool Won. It is a great encouragement to see other people with dissabilities doing martial arts which I think most people would think would be beyond our capabilities. I am interested in getting to know you guys as this is my first time seeing a website like this, and seeing other dissabled students as well so if you do respond to this thread please include your email, and name but only if you want to. I don't want to make anybody feel uncomfortable.

Thank you!

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hi Joshua, welcome to the site :)

I encourage people to respond to this thread, but unfortunatley putting your email address in posts isn't allowed as it can lead to misuse or spam. Feel free to PM each other your email addresses should you want to speak off the forums though.

There's a thread here you might like to have a read through where we all introduced ourselves http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8138

Cheers
    Kgirl

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Welcome aboard, Joshua. My school has a BB in a wheelchair, and many other on this forum have experience in training with disabilities. Check out this forum, I think you'll find a lot of support and a lot of inspiration and comraderie :)

4. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I was teaching a weapon seminar last night and one young lady in my escrima group has down syndrome. I was a little concerned at first, but she was able to do everything we were working on very well. In fact for one excercise we tried to throw the weapon at a pole some 30 feet away. She was the only one in the group that hit it.
    I think that everyone has dissabilities. I can't kick above my waste becasue my hip won't rotate, so I have to compensate with other techniques. Some people are not as fast, strong, or what ever as someone else, but martial arts is something that is very personal. I don't do my teacher's martial arts. I do my own martial arts with his influence.
    Martial arts is learning how to fight (amoung other things) not being able to star in a Jackie Chan movie, or to win a competition. If you start with nothing and end with nothing plus one, you are ahead and on the right track no matter what.

5. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

Welcome to the forum Joshua, great to have you onboard. i have scoliosis, i am the only member of my group with a disability at the present time, my instructor does not treat me any differently to anyone, if anything i get driven alot harder, but then, i drive myself much harder i always go back to the 3D's when i am having problems.

6. ocianain

ocianain Valued Member

Joshua, Welcome aboard and good to see you're training. Do you find you tire easy with the CP? I ask because, I have a friend of mine who has CP and I'm trying to understand it better.

7. ember

ember Valued Member

Welcome to the forum, Joshua!

Please be sure to check in on the "Other" forum, we have a number of Kuk Sool Won threads going on, working to get our own forum.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hi Josh,

Welcome... make yourself at home.. Gin's in the icebox and the glasses are are on the shelf.

Don't ever hesitate to post a question or to respond to a question if you feel you have some valid info. - most people here are all ears as they say.

What's more, is you should most definitely check out all the forums here.

I always wonder if disabled people are hesitant to post in other parts of the site... they shouldn't be! Feel free to run amok! : )

See ya around!

9. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Good job on making it to black belt in your art that's a wonderful achievement and welcome to to MAP. I saw a show last night on woman with one leg doing a triatholon. I'm not sure how she did in terms of placement because I regretably fell asleep. But I did see her giving a very serious effort. People with disabilities who do this sort of activity martial arts included always inspire me and remind me of how fortuanate I am to not have any disabilities. I wish you the best of luck and hope you will continue to be an inspiration to myself and others by simply continuing to be yourself.

10. stevecal

stevecal New Member

11. speedbag

speedbag Valued Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005