Emulating Video Games . . . .

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Terry Matthes, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Have any of you out there ever played a video game like Street Fighter or Tekken and tried to duplicate the moves you see the characters perform? I know I have, that is what got me into martial arts when I was a kid and it was also a inspiration for wrestling techniques. I think it's fun and although most of them aren't physically possible some of them make me stop and think :) . . .

2. Ayane

Ayane New Member

I don't play video games as much as i used to, considering the lack of games i have, but i do own Dead or Alive 3, and i can say that the moves are impossible, but not all of them. I have been able to duplicate a few moves myself. it's fun when you try them out on your friends, too!

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Most of the moves in Tekken were made as real as possible through some type of 'copy real people cam' (Some help for computer ge.. people would be nice ;) ).

I did spend some time trying to duplicate Phoenix's twisting underarm armbar takedown!

Also, me and one of my training buddies would sometimes play Tekken at weekends with a few beers, get drunk, and have heated 'debates' over some of the techniques and then attempt to teach the other how to do it|! ;)

4. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Yeah it's all done with motion capture technology. It can really do some neat stuff. Tekken 4 has some interesting throws and clinch work. Most of the flashy stuff would get you beat up though because the windups are to obvious and leave too much time to counter.

5. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

ahhh, the tekken series, my favorite video game. Well, I got into the martial arts simular to you, I started through watchining old kung-fu movies and immitating them though when I was real small:D Video games came later for me;)