Empty hand verses single stick sparring

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Fergie Boy, May 17, 2003.

1. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Is what we did in class today, trying to make a strip and takedown and boy was that hard. I have been working on my timing for empty hands versus knife at full speed and thought I had it down pretty good, I also thought this would help here. HUH. I just couldnt get the timing for the inside deflection to snake or any other strips. If I went at what I thought was the right time I was too slow and just got hit, if I went any earlier the hit just didn't come. I am hoping that because I was training with one of the instructors that they were just really fast but I could tell that they weren't going as fast as he could have.

One to work on I think, maybe the body armour was throwing me off:rolleyes: ;)

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

BIG tip Fergie Boy.....

Enter BEHIND the strike - not in front of it. I.E. Wait 'til the forehand strike goes past THEN dash in and take it out as if it was an angle 2.

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

My favorite disarm - Whack them in the hand

But apart from that, don't disarm a strike, disarm before a strike or after a strike.

Or you can crash into a clinch first and work from there.

4. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

what type of sticks do you use for training like that?

I've found that if it's too soft, there isn't enough respect given for the stick and people tend to flail about instead of realistically sparring.

We use a padded stick made by Felisa Silute and wear headgear and armgaurds. I've found this to be pretty similar to the real thing, you get bruises if you block with a bare arm but no broken bones.

otherwise we'll train with a normal ratan stick but you where a metal cage helmet. and nothing on the body. This can get really brutal, I've only watched so far and haven't opted to compete.

I've seen guys go down after two headshots even with full metal headgear.

I don't know Yoda, what if they don't swing through? Do you go under the stick like a bob and weave and then take it? If it's a number one strike from the Lameco or JKD then I'll block by striking the arm and perform the snake.... more often than not though I end up just being able to tie up the arm for a moment and going for a takedown...

this is a good thread, keep it coming FMAers!

5. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

:(

I'm Feeling a little excluded.

6. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Speaking of padded stick sparring, we do that sometimes, but not with any armor. We keep the techniques at largo and no headshots and it's pretty intense. And hurts when you get hit so teaches you not to come in charging..

7. Jim

Jim New Member

We use 3' stick with no padding and no armour - good respect for the stick right there (but only with senior students). If I had the cash we'd buy kendo helmets so you can do neck strikes.

:)whisper: Andrew, just wade in - if they don't want you in here they'll say ;) )

8. YODA

Then enter on it's retraction - same timing :D

The basic rule is this - safety against an impact weapon is CLOSENESS.

The tricky bit is achieving this without getting taken out - but to be honest I reckon a very small %age of Eskrima people are using what I would consider a realistic weapon anyway.

Most seen to use something designed to look cool & facilitate nice twirling rather than something designed to do serious damage with one hit - and one hit is often all you'll get against someone determined to close you down.

9. shortstick

shortstick New Member

Boy,
    a good drill I have found for timing-- or lack of timing in my case--
    In Sarrada we call the drill "Picking" I am sure many other styles may have this by another name......Anyway your attacker feeds you an attack angle, about 3/4 of the way to completeing his strike he changes up smoothly into another attack- and follows through with it. On your end you stay centered and wait--not being drawn out by the "Fake attack" this means you are reacting last minute up close. Your attacker should mix the "Picking " moves in with regular single attackes to keep you on your toes. This also gives the attacking player practice on making seemless changes of his attacks. For more variation you can add in more than one "Pick" in a single attack. Also on your end you can mix in your disarms at will-without warning to your partner-I think this works better as you cannot plan for the disarm, but react when the chance presents itself. I have found this drill pretty good to develope timing and reactive skills. Remember not to hand the weapon directly back to you partner!
    Good Luck!
    nice to see some activity in this area!!!

10. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Don't worry, I'm not that easy to shut up ;)

11. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I prefer one that keeps my students awake after they get wacked in the head with it.

Although a few bruises are never bad :D

12. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Yoda, when I tried to let it go past the stick was that far past me when I moved in I had no chance of getting it. That did allow me to trap the arm and go far a takedown.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think that the "picking" drill could be useful.

I was able to do some disarms on the thrusts though so I have some hope.

13. YODA

Wait for it to come back - i.e. evade #1 - crash in - take out & disrm #2. Yes I know this can easily be countered - it's a starting point.

Sounds like your attackers are better strikers than thrusters - try that one someone with a decent level of fencing experience :D

14. moromoro

moromoro New Member

this is dam difficult but it will improve your reflexes i do this with GM navarro all the time he goes full pace (thank god its padded),
    no drills.

great excercise

terry