Empty Force

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by nzric, Feb 2, 2004.

?

Do you believe advanced IMA'ists are able to use Empty Force?

1. Yes, I believe empty force is real and effective in combat

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. No, I believe the concept of empty force is incorrect

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. I'm not sure if empty force exists or not.

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I couldn't care less about the topic of empty force.

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Unfortunatley to date the majority of scientific work done on things like ki has been entierly negative and closed minded. The research has concentraited on disproving the theory rather than exploring it.

There is a brighter future on the horizon though. There are universitys running credible experiments exploring the possibility that there may be something real in telepathy.

2. Th3_GOD

Th3_GOD New Member

Telepathy

Telepathy is scientifically and physically possible, in humans though....The human brain is still not much understood. It is probable that telepathy can occur in humans. All of us emit all kinds of waves, we also receive many waves on many frequencies, The entire brain works on energy signals which all emit tiny waves and frequencies. The only problem i would see, is if it was possible, in the modern world their would probably be so much static from all the other waves in the world around us that it would be really staticy and probably indistinguisable from background noise. Does't have much to do with empty force, but yeah.

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

While empty force or ki and telepathy are not exactly the same thing they are related issues and as such positive proof for one lends great support for the existance for the other.

Telepathy I think would seem to be the easier of the two phonomenon to test, as there would seem to be a more direct link between the material world we interact with and the imaterial world of the human mind.

Background noise may very well be a barrier to things like telepathy. In the Ganzfeld experiments operated by Liverpool Hope University College, the 'receiver' operates in very isolated conditions from within a locked room wearing a blind fold and headphones. It's also a well documented fact that electromagnetic polution can cause overly sensative people to experience a wide range of symptoms from audible and visual halucinations to debilitating dizziness and pain.

Should science conclude that there is after all some truth in telepathy it would be a very significant step forward in proving other abilities have some measure of creadibility.

www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I can't believe 30odd percent of people think that anyone on earth can use "empty force" effectively in combat. Some people just live in a dream world.

5. Th3_GOD

Th3_GOD New Member

Well....

Wasnt arguing that rather more the capabilities or authenticitiy of it. When you get down to it maybe almost everyone could. Its just highly unlikely since few train to that point, and put the years needed to obtain the concepts. Some may not handle it even then because the modern world is growing ever more unnatural and stress grows and people view things from materialistic pov, and just dont beleive that skills can be done with their body, that they dont know about.

6. serious harm

serious harm New Member

I don't think empty force can be used as a reliable techinque in a real fight, and is not necessarily a really powerful technique. Channeling qi, penetrating deep into peoples meridians is more powerful. Empty force is like shooting energy out the hands making people feel uncomfortable, and works kind of like a field. Spiritualness should be developed, not special abilities. It does really exsist though and is not an impossible thing to develop.

http://www.shaolin.org.uk/en/chikung/3level.html

http://www.shaolin.org.uk/en/chikung/2level.html

Hmmm.

http://itcca.org/English.htm

http://www.imperialtaichi.com/power.htm

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  7. AikiBudo

AikiBudo Valued Member

So like, I point my finger at you and you feel all icky???

PUHLLLEEEAAAASSSEE!

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'm curious as to where exactly you got the fact that telepathy was scientifically supported. I've yet to see a single study that conclusively demonstrates telepathy, and have seen many that show no signs of telepathy whatsoever.

9. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Hey Bunny,

Been a while, hope all is well.

I got a question for you.

Looking at the state of the planet at present, seeing mass pollution, de-forestation, mass extinction of animals, mass human population explosions, endless and pointless wars, as well as enormous amounts of problems associated with these phenomenon and various other phenomenon instigated by man that makes our world such a safe and wonderful place to live, a 'Garden of Eden' for lack of a better word. In other words the process that this process can be likened to turning a clean, pristine lake in to a sewage dump.

Do you think a human being can be considered an intelligent being?

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Might've been better to start a new thread on this one, rather than hijacking one which is completely unrelated.

It depends what you mean by intelligence.

11. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

What I mean by intelligence is having the right mind to live in harmonious balance with ones internal and external environment.

Apologies for the hi-jack, but it is kind of related. My point is that nowadays or maybe this has always been so, but, humans are extremely uncultivated and unbalanced animals, making a mess of most things they put themselves to. Thus, in my opinion, just because scientific evidence does not exist for some aspect of an art that requires oneself to perfect and cultivate virtue, it does not really mean that it is imposable. Now I don’t believe or disbelieve anything in this thread, my point is that some people blindly rush towards science for all the answers, but our science is as flawed, and will be flawed until such time when man can be considered a balanced, cultivated and virtuous being, and from the looks of things, such a time is not near.

My opinion is expressed in terms of those who try to use our flawed and limited science to prove or disprove phenomenon which is founded on different principles.

12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

So basically you'd say that intelligence is being able to accept any environment, with no desire to change it? Personally I'd call that one of several things, one of which would be lack of survival instinct.

What's wrong with testing things scientifically, just because it doesn't work on scientific theory, if its a genuine phenomenon then tests will still reveal that it exists. If something cannot stand up to scientific tests people instantly leap to the defence of 'its beyond science'. No. Its not. Before gravitational theory was developed people still could test it, and show that there was some force that pulled things downwards.

Saying that something can't be tested by science because it is outside or beyond science is a cop-out used by people who either do not understand science, or who are afraid that their precious ideas will be shattered by close examination.

13. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

If it’s about changing for the better, then I agree. But its not, its about mindlessly destroying and making it toxic, for whatever greedy and ignorant ends.

Science has no where near as many answers as it needs for me to put my trust in it. Can science tell us what we are, what we are here for, why we exist. I don’t think so. It can merely tell us some mostly insignificant observation, and this is usually biased anyway. The questions that are important to me, have not been, and I don’t believe will be answered by Science.

Well, saying what you have said above is a cop-out used by people who blindly put their trust in Science, or who are afraid that their Scientific belief and evidence will be irrelevant, and merely an illusion in the face of real questions.

14. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

How exactly would you test for empty force?
    What would be the parameters tested?
    What would you use as a control group?
    Does the scientific community give a monkeys about empty force?

I do not think our 'virtue' has anything to do with our scientific research. Scientist keep pushing back the boundaries. As those boundaries braoden, we discover more and more about the world we live in.

There are many things that the scientific community is trying to discover. Finding out the caused and cures of disease for example. I would rather see science being used for this than 'wasting' time trying to see whether or not an obscure segment of martial art practice is real or not.

Once science has cured all diseases and is a little stuck for things to do, then by all means start exploring the science of qi, empty force, levitation, telekenesis etc.

For me empty force has more to do with psychological responses than actual physical ones. All the 'empty force masters' show their skills on family members and senior students. But to get an example of getting someone to move without touching them just rush at them as if you are going to strike. They'll move, even if it is just a flinch.
    They may even move away. Is it empty force?

15. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Personally, I don’t think it matters whether empty force exists or not. If one develops such ability than one will know the answer. I’m just trying to make a point that Scientific explanations don’t always have the answer, and should not be jumped to so blindly. Our world is dualistic, if we require a complete answer, we must look at things from both angles, scientific and non-scientific.

The other point I'm trying to illustrate is that Science has created as many problems as it has solved, once again showing the dualistic nature of our world. Some may not agree with me here but all one has to do is look at the evolution and progression of Science, you will see that as Science advances, our environment (internal and external) suffers. Yes, there are numerous benefits, but these come together with the sacrifices. What’s the point. Would it not be better to look for answers in a sustainable manner, as opposed to going in circles, one step forward, one step back.

One has to ask, is it a matter of what we need (essential nature)? or what we want (conditioned nature)?

I think that if humans concentrated on the real, or the essential needs of existence and did not follow their ‘conditioned nature’ for activity which is based on greed, ignorance, or in other words want, we would not have messed up our environment the way we have.

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Science is neither evil, nor good. It is not damaging, nor healing. It is a method for viewing and understanding the world that doesn't require cryptic meaningless sayings, and which can be tested over and over again by anyone. Applications of science are where the morality comes in, but blaming the method for the result is simply vindictive.

Real and essential needs? Such as blind faith in things which may or may not exist? Okay, lets look at essential needs shall we:
    - food, anyone going to argue this isn't essential?
    - clean water, again, fairly clearly essential
    - shelter, well, out in the open its possible to live, but it causes problems, is some degree of comfort and protection not essential? How much?
    - communication, we are herd animals, how much communication is 'essential'?

What would you call essential?

17. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

I’m not blaming anyone or anything, what I’m saying is that the results obtained are both positive an negative, I think you agree. But what is the point of that, what is the point of taking a step forward in one area, if your taking a step back in another. I think there is another way, that way is the ‘Tao’. If you want an explanation on this do enquire.

Are you suggesting I have blind faith in things that don’t exist? I don’t think you are, but just wanted to clarify that.

Essential needs, in my opinion are:

- Food (in moderation)
    - Clean water (though this was usually clean, before man polluted it)
    - Shelter (in moderation)

I don’t really see why communication would be essential, but if I am wrong then once again, in moderation.

In my opinion comfort and protection are a matter of conditioning, but I would say both in moderation.

Now I’m not suggesting we all move in to the woods and hunt bears. But I am suggesting that everything we do, should be, get ready for it !!!SUPRISE!!! in moderation.

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

LilBunnyRabbit makes a good point here which I think is generally lost on most people. To investigate something scientifically doesn't mean getting out lots of instruments and measuring devices and talking funny with big words nobody understands.

Science is about looking at a problem and trying to solve it in an orderly fasion, clearly documenting what you find as you progress. The documentry evidence is then analised and from this analysis, conclusions are drawn.

A negative reslut is not always the end of the storey. It just means the evidence collected and anylised has produced a negative result. Very often problems are looked at again and again by scientists from varying angles until all the possibilities are exhausted.

19. serious harm

serious harm New Member

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

We don't necessarily understand what Dr Emotos research is exactly :confused: