Emergecy - Ninjutsu Vs Wing Chun Vs Other Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by myusername, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Giandf

Giandf Valued Member

do you think it is possible for me learning bujinkan and wing chun at the same time? i like things in both arts

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Right I'll have a bash at this.

Training any two arts side by side can at times be a challenge now if those are complimentary in the way Judo and Boxing are then you're going to have any easier time of it than trying to do two styles of karate for example.

What you are talking about is a bit different. Now first off can we knock on the head the idea of Ninjitsu or rather Ninjutsu. If you are going to be training or are training in the Bujinkan what you will be learning is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu yes I know that the word Ninjutsu has, incorrectly imo, crept into semi common usage for this art but thinking of what you are doing as Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu from the start will help you, IMO.

Now a BIG influence on what you will be studying especially at the initial levels will be one of the ryu-ha which the Bujinkan draws its waza from, Gyokko-ryu.

Now Gyokko-ryu has its roots in China, if the stories are true, and it has a very “Chinese feel” at times, lots of circular and spiral movement and power generation, foot work. Now if you are doing something like Wing Chun alongside this then I think you might find yourself getting confused between the movements and body mechanics. Someone who has a grounding in one or the other before starting the second one will probably be able to separate them and may even find it beneficial, by grounding I mean some solid years in one art so that it’s part of them, but a beginer is going to have difficulties, IMO.

So in short then yes it is possible but I think you will have a number of difficulties along the way especially in the first few years, the Bujinkan itself is vast as far as material goes they have a lot of stuff to draw on and get your head around without trying to learn another completely separate system alongside it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  3. Giandf

Giandf Valued Member

^_^

I think u're right and i agree with all u sayd about the bujinkan and the chinise feeling,, i did know that.

i've been doing ninjitsu for like 9 months, and i am confused.

The instructor gives us the chance to make many questions and let us see how reacting in many fighting cases, but i keep seem to be stuck.

One uses the gravity to get to move away from a punch. One moves away, not behind, not rightly, but just in the middle way in order to avoid the punch and keep the 'ckin kamae, but somethin in my had is boom booming becouse i ask "is that possible? is it possible that i'm capable to keep the kamae if someone moves against me so fast? Would anybody punch me like that? i mean, with the body you know, cant explane, like superman when is going to fly, plus will i be really capable to punch sidely the elbow of the punching attack to make him stress the arm and he cant punch me anymore with that arm from at least 5 seconds... you know... it seems pretty far away from the reality.

4. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

So....That thing I was talking about....the one about the teacher...um..yeah...

Good Luck!

5. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

What about Krav Maga? I've never done it, but it seems pretty handy for street self defense. And it uses various techniques from other martial arts....so it seems like a bit of an all-rounder.

Anyway, I guess you never know til you try it out. It doesn't hurt to go to a few classes and see for yourself. Then you can just stick with the one that appeals to you the most.

6. Giandf

Giandf Valued Member

Completely agree

we can barely decide witch one is good for ourself, but its the training aproaching and the feeling about the school u join, the trainer, the other guys training with you that make the difference. I choose Wing chun becouse i wont kill anyone with ninjitsu or something, i want to begin a comunication with anyone who start a fight with me, and ninjitsu is not the way that someone take to make the fight become something good for anyone. Love in punchs make the difference, not breaking legs or hitting preshure points. i dont want to learn traditional ways anymore. i have to face and join the relation in fighting, not just feel slowly and insanely all the tecniques created witch will work in any "traditional" attack. i speack the sht. oke. bye

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

You're right, it is an emergency... for the english language.

8. Liquid Steel

Liquid Steel Valued Member

Well anyway....

Of the two arts I would say Ninjutsu is better as a standalone art. It is more comprehensive both in terms of armed and unarmed. I say this having studied Ninjutsu and Jeet Kune Do. However it really does depend more upon where you're studying, I'd be the first to admit that some Ninjutsu dojos are full of people with terrible conditioning and dubious combat ability... oh wait, same goes for wing chun! ;)

My advice is go for the Ninjutsu but do your research and if it means travelling to get the best in your area, do it. Good luck mate.

(I just realised how old this thread is.... FAIL)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010