Email Viruses

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by karatekid, Apr 4, 2004.

1. karatekid

karatekid MOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is a warning!!!!! if you get a email from any of these email address’s delete them immediately!!! These are all email viruses that were sent to me and my mum in the last 2 weeks if u get a email from them don NOT open it. They are worms and Trojan viruses....

{Addresses Snipped}

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2004
  2. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Unless ofcourse you know them. :)

The best way is just to look out for suspect attachments. Due to the nature of worms, I doubt this list will have much of an effect on whether someone will get virus or not, but thanks for the heads up :)

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

The way most virus's work is by infecting one machine, then going through all the email address on that machine, and making it look like they came from that address, when in fact they didn't. With that in mind, the virus's don't actually come from the person with that address, and you'll be lucky to get it from the same place twice.

Get some good AV software and delete them. Never ever open them.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Yep,

Kgirl speak heep big truth!

A friend's machine could get infected and send you an e-mail with a virus attachment. You open it unaware.

Install Anti-Virus Software.

:)

5. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

how exactly do you create a virus? (no reason, just....ahem...) i heard it's something to do with screwing up a program's code, but...yeah.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

A virus malicous code that will execute arbitarory functions on a user's PC, often damaging them in the process. Virus writing and willfully spreading virus's is a criminal offence (federal in the US) and punishable by up to five years in prison and an unlimited fine.

You need to know a programming language in depth, have a sound understanding of internet protocols and principles, and a good degree of social engineering skills.

Failing that, a cracked copy of VB6 and a "Visual Basic in 24 Hours" manual.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Anyway,

Shouldn't we be leaving Virus Alerts to the correct authorities.

Cheers. :)

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Leave it to KG to explain viruses :rolleyes:

:D

|Cain|

9. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

As KG has already said, the senders email address is normally spoofed and it is not the `real' email address of the person that is infected.

This causes another problem as you can get an email from someone who thinks that YOU have sent them an infected message (looks very bad in a business environment) when in fact the virus has come from someone who has your email address in the address book / contact list.

A long time ago.... in the days of old, Virus writers had to be VERY talented, and to be honest I was sometimes quite impressed their programming skills. To be able to hard code (usually in assembly language) a very complicated piece of code into such a small executable (2-3K but in some cases a few hundred bytes) took skill, now any idiot can download a `virus toolkit' from the net and produce badly coded VBS scripts in 10 minutes flat.

The biggest problem I see today is `Social Engineering' where you have simple basic script files sent within emails but the end users still open them and cause problems, user education is just as important as anti-virus scanners.

No disrespect to karatekid but I don't listed to other members of Internet forums about security alerts, even if the guy says it comes from Bill Gates's personal anti-virus assistant. I get all my alerts from reliable places like www.cert.org and www.sophos.com

10. sindo

sindo New Member

For MA Webmasters : Try to avoid quoting your email addresses in your websites will reduce spamming and virus emails - instead disguise email addresses such as webmaster(at)yourwebsite.com. This makes good reading for webmasters : http://www.webhelpinghand.com/badmailto.htm