Elvis

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Manila-X, Mar 29, 2013.

1. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Looks like he would break his wrist, with even those weak punches.
    Seemed like no one wanted to tell the king 'you suck!'
    His chi is impressive though!

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

That's why I said credible shodan,which was when he was younger and lighter,and actually trained.

And not so wasted. In those clips his eyes look like when he visited Nixon.

3. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

But I doesn't make sense, if he was ever 'good' as in shodan level, why does he look so poor in the clips? Surely he would have retained some of his skill/ knowledge?
    He just seems like a drunk guy at a party who's had half a dozen lessons and is showing off.
    He was an amazing man, loved by millions ( I remember the day he died, my friend told me as he wept. He was about 7, I was about 6!)
    He will never be forgotten, but not because of his karate skills.

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Well,how good is the average shodan attained in 3-5 years? When I was coming up I looked at shodans and thought how good they looked.When I had been around a few years I would look and would see all the errors they made. Shodan is just the entry gate anyway.

So tell me,if an individual attained shodan and then at some point stopped doing any real training for years,gained 100+ pounds,and on a daily basis at morning and bedtime took enough ups and downs to literally kill the average person off the street you think they would still have much of anything worth putting up here,except for our derision laced amusment? I've known non MA guys who were for good reason feared adversaries in the real world.Dangerous guys.Some of those same guys kinda went the Elvis route,poor shape,very inactive,too much recreational substances legal and/or illegal,etc. Your skinny 15 year old cousin with attitude could best them now. So what's so unbelievable about a guy with basic (1st degree) skills who wasn't even a fighter being a victim of erosion?

I don't think it would have made any difference if he'd been straight when those films were shot but if you hadn't noticed he's fried. By the time those films were shot it was pretty obvious all the time.See my remark about his eyes when visiting Nixon.

I certainly would never say nor imply anything about him being remembered for martial skills.

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Maybe Elvis realized his skill wasn't up to par either. Most likely his skill was not so good because of lack of hard training. At some point in the 1970s, when he was very interested in martial arts and probably could have been training his hardest, instead Elvis stopped training the physical aspects of martial arts. I presume that means he only trained in the spiritual and/or mental aspects. Well he eventually took up the physical aspects again.

Mind, body, spirit... can't really have martial arts without hard training... correct?

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Keerect! Certainly questionable how much hard training one could even do when one's physical system is a veritable 24 hour pharmacy.

Too bad.