Elvis

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Manila-X, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

Elvis Presley is true American rock & roll icon. But he is also known for his skills in American Kenpo Karate and has trained under it's Grandmaster Ed Parker who later also served as Elvis' bodyguard in his later years.

Under Parker, Elvis was said to have achieved 8th dan black belt in this system.

[​IMG]

Here's a video clip of Elvis demonstrating his skills in Kenpo Karate.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Iv6dmSw0k"]This is Elvis - TCB Karate - YouTube[/ame]

Part-1 of a more detailed demostration,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUbdaq5yjd0"]Elvis Presley - Karate 1 - YouTube[/ame]

2. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

If only he'd kept with the budo and kept away from the burgers and barbituates he'd be realy, realy old now

3. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

Everyone wants to be Elvis.

[​IMG]

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So come on then: who would have won in a fight between Bruce Lee and Elvis? :evil:

5. finite monkey

Blue Hawaii Elvis or adult nappy Elvis?

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Karate Elvis, of course!

7. finite monkey

OK

Alive Bruce or dead Bruce?

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

They've both got to be alive. Dead Bruce v. Dead Elvis would be like watching Audley Harrison v. Audley Harrison.

9. finite monkey

This ruleset is too restrictive

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

''
    Under Parker, Elvis was said to have achieved 8th dan black belt in this system.

''

Elvis looks terrible in all those clips.

11. finite monkey

His chi is coming along nicely

12. Dead_pool

Daily drugs, alcohol and insulin binges dont seem to if helped much.
    Is he really wearing a shirt under his gi too?

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

8th Dan black belt?

I think not. I think we now know where Star Wars Kid got his inspiration from.

14. Dead_pool

Now Bill wallace is involved!

http://wantagekarateclub.co.uk/CMS/content/view/18/40/

''With regard to Elvis� advanced 8th dan grade, this can be explained by virtue of his famed generosity.
    The aforementioned Bill Wallace was Elvis� instructor in Memphis for a period during the early 1970�s. Wallace promoted Elvis to seventh degree black belt at the same time that he [Elvis], gave him a brand new Cadillac. The strange thing is that Wallace himself was a seventh degree black belt! Reportedly, Master Kang Rhee, a Korean tae kwon do instructor, who taught in Memphis, bestowed an honorary eighth degree rank on Elvis in 1974. Perhaps the fact that Elvis had given him a car too had nothing to do with it!''

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The footage in those videos is not of a 'credible shodan'

16. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

My understanding is that he was a credible shodan in the early 60s but later spent most of his time in the training hall watching...and eating.

Man,you'd think with all those downers he was doing he'd have relaxed shoulders when doing those techniques!

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Of course every instructor would like to claim Elvis as a student. And getting a free car to boot would convince all but the most hardcore instructors to promote you.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Elvis was a good looking man. Even I can see that.
    And damn he could sing. That boy had talent in bucket loads.
    He's a legend.
    Everyone should like at least one Elvis track or I just won't trust them. There'd be no telling what they were capable of.
    I love Elvis.

But an 8th dan in karate?
    Not so much.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not sure I'd say that. He was known. And he did karate. So that was known about him. But I'd never say he was know for his skills in karate. Those videos are abysmal. Respect for him as a performer. I've made the pilgrimage to Graceland myself. Seen "the gi" in person, in fact. But I imagine we all know karateka who are much more skilled than Elvis.

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Elvis reached 1st degree black belt in 1960 in Memphis with Hank Slemansky (Chito-ryu).

Elvis met Ed Parker (American Kenpo) in 1960 and met infrequently with him until 1969. From 1970 is death in 1977, Elvis met more frequently with Ed Parker. IMHO, although a credible black belt, the 8th degree BB rank awarded Elvis prior to his death was most likely an honorary rank.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013