Elliptical glide

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by OldWhiteBeltGuy, Mar 20, 2006.

1. OldWhiteBeltGuy

OldWhiteBeltGuy Valued Member

When doing my forms (Kempo Karate) I've been told to keep my head at the same height bending my legs to keep my head at a constant level. For OWBG this isn't easy. I have a history, may years ago as a "Kinda-Strong-Attention-Getter Guy" or maybe even a "Mr You make my back hurt just watching you" guy. That was about 15 years ago, and now I'm just an old out of shape guy.

(See http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29402 if you're confused by the above classifications. Great thread BTW.)

I've started a new exercise at home, and it is going wonders for my "gliding". I have an elliptical machine, and I've started using it in a slightly different way from what is recommended. I keep my head level and both legs bent at all times while keeping my hands behind my back while using the elliptical. I still can't do more than about 2 minutes that way, so I know I'm getting no aerobic benefit from it, but the burn I get in my quads is awesome, and my back stances and forms have benefited greatly. Also, my historically messed up knees don't seem to be hurting from this.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have thought of this... Anybody else using this technique? Am I playing with fire here? So far so good!

2. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Well thanks. ;)

What brand is your machine? That's not the way it's "intended" to be used, as the quality ellipticals are meant to mimic the way you'd walk naturally, and I doubt that's how you walk down the sidewalk (taking care to keep your head at the same height and all.) However...
    At the end of the day, that's what counts. If your performance is improving, and you're not getting hurt, then it's working. Whatever "it" is.

3. OldWhiteBeltGuy

OldWhiteBeltGuy Valued Member

Its just a cheap Orbitrek, but I'm very happy with it. Normally I would be bobbing up and down and using my arms with it, but I've been enjoying this as a way to develop some endurance in the quads, and it really does seem to help.