Elephant style Muay Thai?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by KuKulzA, Oct 7, 2006.

1. KuKulzA

KuKulzA Taiwanese independence!

มวยคชสาร < I think that is the Thai word for it... I think
    what is Elephant boxing? a style of thai martial arts based on elephant movements and heavy breaking attacks? I suspect joint-locking and breaking and very solid stances and techniques, but i have no idea...

any of you guys practice or know about the elephant boxing?

2. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

To the best of my knowledge, "Elephant Style" MuayThai was invented for the movie "Tom Yum Goong" ("The Protector" in English). Elephant style was never a real style of MuayThai as far as I know.

3. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

also called warrior king in uk.

4. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

LOL! Didn't realize it was different there, too.

Funny thing is that "Tom Yum Goong" translates to "Lemon Grass Soup with Shrimp"

5. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

yeh. im pretty sure in the film its the name of the restraunt..

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol... not only translates as... it is.
    Walk into a Thai restaurant and ask for it.:D

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

arroy dee! :)

8. KuKulzA

alright thanks guys. My friend was trying to tell me there was a real elephant-style and I was a bit confused and told him he was wrong and I was right... and i know it was in the new ony Jaa movie and thats all I knew so thanks guys, very much

now I am gonna go kick my friend :D

9. scottv

scottv New Member

You put your hands out like tusks to protect you :p

10. KuKulzA

actually i never seen the movie so I dunno... but hey, I bet the movie's fight scenes are good... even if the moves not so practical... but hey, I bet if you were in all the same situations, those moves would be good.... but the chance of those exact enemy movements being like that.... yeah :D whatever

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

there are "tricks" in muay thai with the elephant name connected to them!..such as "erawan(elephant) suey naa,a uppercut to the face,the punch follows the line(upward curve) of the elephants tusks :)

12. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

The "Elephant" moves of MuayThai that I remember off the top of my head are "Push the Elephant", which is that overhead knee strike Tony Jaa used in "Ong Bak" for one of his very 1st fight scenes in the movie, and the other one is "Break the Elephants Trunk" where you trap someones round kick and smash it with a downwards elbow strike.

13. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Valued Member

Very informative posts here. I'll try to make it more clear to other readers. I'd reccommend that you refer to http://www.muaythai.com/ if you need to see illustrations. The explaination from the web site is mostly correct. I'll add or try to correct spelling and may later edit my post as needed.
    Also while you're there, have a look at HAK KOR ERAWAN (Maemai Mai Muaythai)
    and CHANG PRASAN NGA (Kon Kae Mad)
    Chang Iyara or Erawan all mean elephant. :D

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

thanks sporet muay,i love the mae and luk mai,especially the hanuman(name of my camp) ones :)

15. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

I like a lot of the "Hanuman" techniques as well. My first MT coach, Ajarn Kumron Vaitayanonta, taught a number of techniques that are named for King Rama, such as "King Rama breaks the arrow".....

16. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Speaking of animal styles, I was part of an interesting conversation on another message board where someone was asking about "Tiger-style" MuayThai. It actually got a little heated with some name-calling as people were insisting that "Tiger-style" does not exist in MuayThai... only in KungFu.

I tried to explain that though there is no "Tiger-style" MuayThai, there is an offensive strategy in MuayThai referred to collectively as the "Tigers Walk", where a fighter performs to simultaneous techniques (or *close* to simultaneous techniques) from opposite sides of the body, such as a left block with a right kick, a left kick with a right punch, or a right elbow with a left knee.....

17. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

nice one khunkao.i know of the tiger strategy to,also the tiger stalking footwork "suu yang" :)

18. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Doesnt Tony Jaa perform moves like this in Ong Bak against the japanese bloke (i know hes thai but he made up to be jap)? if you could moves off like that, esp with power, you could do some serious damage! Love it :D

19. georgestando

georgestando Valued Member

There are elephant movements not elephant style. They created some elaborate story for the stuff they came up with for the movie. Its just a movie! Tiger walk is special to one specific style of old style muay as the lion walk is to another. There is no one specific tiger style. As I said, each is a specific style of old style. Muay Boran bunches them up in a generic fashion into one mishmash and strips the meaning from them as just plain techs without the support of the philosophy and training methods of that specific method.

20. SMINGPLAI

SMINGPLAI New Member

Hi

... so it's not a style but a category - I perfectly agree.
    Just hope my girlfriend is not getting "BORAN" too fast... :D

SMINGPLAI