Electrical thingy's

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Moi, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Someone has given me a set of electrical 'toning' slendertone? things. What do they do and do they work?

2. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

If they're what I think they are, they work by direct electrical stimlus of the muscle groups you attach the pads to. Same as TENS machines really, but with a slightly different purpose.

If you want to know what they CAN do, I recommend you watch some old Dirty Sanchez episodes (can't remember which one shows what you need to see, but pretty sure it was the first series)....... :evil:

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Ummm you can do whatever makes you happy with them ;' )

Technically there isn't alot to show that they produce any 'muscular' benefits except perhaps if you are very weak (eg polio) or if you are already working your strength to capacity and you want something to push your muscles just that little bit further. At least that is what I have heard people say... not clearly evidence based. But we did research in the 80's where we showed that your muscles were making a better contraction without the electrical stimulation than with it (in the physiology lab).

On the other hand the muscle stim does seem to help peoples muscles to relax so if you have knots and feel like they need loosening then a combo of heat and E stim might be quite nice for you.

Of course we are not going to get into the topic of anal probing here as I am not sure that that is the end of E stim that you are interested in ;' )

powchoy

4. Ninjuries

Ninjuries The Man Who Genbukan Supporter

They tend to go directly into the bin and then you do crunches instead. :hat:

(I have no idea if they really do anything for you. I doubt it.)

5. Moi

I think I'm the bin here. He bought all new sticky pads for them as well:)

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Russ attach them to your testes................

Turn turn the power setting to maximum and turn on ......

I reckon you will burn off loads of calories trying to stop twitching !!!!

Other than that get an ab cruncher

Smurf:woo::Angel::Angel::Angel:

7. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Give them a try maybe you can prance around praising them if they work.

prance>> *To walk or move about spiritedly; strut*

8. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

Stop making me laugh! My abs are sore enough as it is........

9. Moi

I'm not Russ x

I'll just use my gym. TBH if they did anything at all my next question would be if I could use them on my rest days or watching the TV as well as lifting

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Its like an electrical stimulation unit and no they don't work. They do increase blood flow in an area so it might temporarily feel better.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You're really not getting this rest day thingy are you Moi?

12. Moi

I'm a little impatient

13. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

If you really wanted to, you could use them all night as well, but according to the official bumph, overuse IS an issue - the website mentions muscle tears (ouch!) and tissue damage.

http://slendertoneflex.org.uk/?page_id=7

Or you could just use them as a free TENS machine for easing sore muscles. Still think the Dirty Sanchez method has potential though......... :D

14. Moi

I've read the stuff that came with them, a little anyway, pinch of salt type stuff

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you connect them to a hampster and connect the hampster wheel to the electrical circuit, is it possible to obtain free electricity.

Just askin'.

16. Moi

I've already thought of offering a dog walking service :evil:

Your idea is technically sound aside the fact I'd need to feed the hamster and charge the things in the first place. Other than that I'd be in the dragons den with it

17. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

Electrical Abdominal Stimulators, in short, will offer no real benefit, and personally, i wouldn't have one if someone gave it to me. They can work for people who are particularly sedentary(see:http://www.jssm.org/vol4/n1/9/v4n1-9pdf.pdf, they offer no particular benefit to anyone whom is active.

They were originally intended for medical use to prevent atrophy, and in that sense they can be highly beneficial, but in any other sense, Id bin it.

18. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

We attached something similar to a mate's arm, then whacked up the volume, he jerked and he said it felt like his wrist was going to snap... Needless to say, our fun with electricity doohickies ended there...

19. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I played about with an ex's set years ago, they were for the abs only apparently but with my extensive knowledge of physiology i reckoned i could get them to work my biceps. After i had managed to isolate the muscle correctly so as i didn't short my self out so to speak i turned it on, but the settings were too high and the frequency was set to on for 5 seconds with 1 second rest. Needless to say i punched myself in the head about six times before i managed to turn the machine off in the rest break.
    Do they do what they say in the adverts, If only all i needed to do was tense muscles for an hour and they would grow big and strong i'd be a very happy man. :ban:

20. Moi

Lol!